SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Making A Move To Buy Neighbor's Home In Estate Sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making A Move To Buy Neighbor's Home In Estate Sale Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So our wonderful neighbor one house down passed away at the age of 91 back in late June. He was a great guy and our son loved waving to him and running over to his house to say hello. He'd sit out on his front door Halloween night and give out not pieces of candy but brown lunch bags full of candy and goodies to the neighborhood kids.

We spoke to his son and two daughters and told them how sorry we were for his passing and how he loved all the kids including ours. They told us that he spoke well of us and liked having "good neighbors", and inquired if we'd be interested in buying his home.

We looked at it and it would be GREAT for us! It's 2500 sq feet with 4 BR, 2.5 baths as opposed to the 1800 sq feet our duplex (twin) home is with 3 BR and 1.5 baths. A custom-built brick single home, built in 1951 and in PRISTINE condition. Brand new roof, brand new forced hot-air oil heat, newer central AC, beautifully landscaped yard, overall a very well maintained home. We'd be stupid to pass up such an opportunity, so we looked at it several times, enlisted some help like our Realtor and family member who is an attorney and we put in an offer. We went back and forth a bit doing the counter-offer thing but they accepted our final counter and we are now in a mad scramble to get our current house ready to be listed and sold by 11-30-2017!

There is a very low supply of homes for sale right now in our area and things are selling quickly again so we are very hopeful we can get ours sold in a month or two and get into this new home. The move will be the easiest one in the world, go out our front door, turn right and walk about 100 feet!

It's a solid home but there are some things that will need to be upgraded such as the 100-amp service and ungrounded receptacles throughout the house, and we are hiring an inspector who is a trained engineer to do the inspection along with radon, termite and lead. I'm going VA on the loan so we won't have to put a ton of money down which is great since we don't have that laying around after having child #2 in May.

Anyone ever buy a home in an estate sale like this? We are dealing directly with the co-executors and their attorney and not involving realtors at all.

Posts: 33798 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

quote:
Anyone ever buy a home in an estate sale like this? We are dealing directly with the co-executors and their attorney and not involving realtors at all.

Yes. I'm an attorney and used to teach real estate at the community college. It was a pre-licensing course for those who wanted to be real estate agents. I've done multiple real estate deals without having to pay the commission.

It sounds like you are on the right path to getting this done successfully.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24106 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Is the attorney handling this?

Usually, the sale has to be through probate proceedings, petitions for approval of the terms, a hearing, final order approving etc. Get a title company involved. It will have to insure your title as well as any mortgage, if PA is similar to other states I am familiar with, and will want to examine the process and documentation ahead of closing.

Do all the physical inspections carefully, boundaries, improvements.

You never know what you will find in title searching. I was recently quizzed by a fellow here I know who had questions about deeds, conveyancing etc. It turns out he is the third generation to possess the house, no deeds, probate etc. Talk about keeping it in the family! I would hate to have to straighten it out years from now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Pay your own real estate attorney to oversee this. That attorney represents them, not you.
Hopefully it will go smoothly but there are any number of potential issues you might overlook. Money well spent.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal to me. Recommend that you heed the advise of JAllen and 220-9er

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife's aunt is an attorney and is representing us on our end plus our Realtor who got us our current house (and will be selling it again for us) is advising in a lot of ways even though we are not officially involving realtors on either side of this.

Posts: 33798 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's 2500 sq feet with 4 BR, 2.5 baths as opposed to the 1800 sq feet our duplex (twin) home is with 3 BR and 1.5 baths. A custom-built brick single home, built in 1951 and in PRISTINE condition. Brand new roof, brand new forced hot-air oil heat, newer central AC, beautifully landscaped yard, overall a very well maintained home.

Sounds like a time capsule of a home. I looked at one like this in the 1990s. A brick single, extra high poured concrete basement, a full tiled practically never used bathroom with cast iron corner tub that looked like a period display in the Smithsonian. I couldn't swing it, and always drive by wistfully. It was built at the edge of a development in the early '50s on an odd lot, then used as a UL Lab office. The one that got away, pocket change by today's standards.

Sounds like you have a perfect home in grasp. Good luck. I've bought two in Pennsylvania using an Abstract Company, 3rd generation. Got title insurance on each, did my own inspections. Never dealt with a realtor yet but it is a matter of time, I imagine.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As far as electrical concerns:

Heavy-up (panel upgrade) in my area runs $2,200-$2,800 for fair priced companies, all the way to $4,000 for ripoff or franchise companies.

Changing outlets to grounded may or may not be possible. It will depend on if there is a ground present or if they used AC/BX cable (metal jacketed). If neither are the case it requires new wiring or the installation of GFIs and putting stickers on outlets stating "GFCI protected outlet, no ground present".

Another concern is older houses are often overloaded and can have large sections of lights and plugs on each circuit which will likely require you to split one or more circuit into two.

You very likely will need to add GFIs to required locations and add smoke detectors. Luckily there are some wireless detectors that can give you same benefits as the hardwired ones without cutting up the walls.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Pay to have a video inspection of the lateral sewer line.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
No practical advice, but wanted to wish you the best going forward.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Pay to have a video inspection of the lateral sewer line.

Good idea! I'll add that to the list.

posted Hide Post
you need to hold on to the currant house as a guest home, besides, you will need it when the kids move back home , after college, and and! you
are going to need help in a 12 years with the mowing and snow shoveling etc.

you are not getting any younger

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My brother and I sold our mother's home after she died. In Texas, we probated her will, got a muniment(sp?) of title and sold the house to a neighbor who was looking for a house for his daughter. We used a lawyer to probate the will and a real estate agent to close. Only hitch we had was she hadn't probated my dad's will, so we had a small bit of extra paper work with the title company to show that we were the only heirs. Other than that it was no harder than any other real estate sale.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Congrats sound like a win/win should everything go well....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what an excellent opportunity - hope it works out for you

please heed JALLEN's advice - he's a smart old guy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post