SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Darth Vader - David Prowse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darth Vader - David Prowse Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
just read where Prowse passed away at 85

another film iconic character has left us

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw that....apart of my childhood, loved the original Star Wars.

2020 truly sucks

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also had a part (Julian) in "A Clockwork Orange".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Definitely a passing of an iconic figure.

IIRC, he was less than pleased that his actual voice wasn't used in the movies.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
there is a documentary on him.

edit: It is "I am your Father" and it is on Amazon:

It is actually kind of a sad tale. I have always wonder what went south with his relationship with Lucas, but only Lucas knows.

He didnt get to voice Vader, we are ok with that but it was sad. Then in return of the Jedi, it was supposed to be him that gets revealed, but Lucas filmed it in a shady manner and used a stand-in, who also is at the funeral / burning of Vader.
The last true insult was when they 'fixed' the ending of Return in the 90's and again, overlooked Prowse for the young guy.

BUT, he was loved by the Star Wars fans and we paid money to see him and get his autograph.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I loath small minded and petty people.

RIP Mr. Prowse, and thank you for bringing dignity and the Power of the Dark Side, to life.

Even though we never heard you, and did not see your face. You "made" Darth Vader with your presence. You did that.

Billions of people were impressed by your work.

Thank you.

- A fan.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would watch that documentary. That being said, he’s an actor like I’m a circus elephant. If you walk around a set in complete head to toe costume and never utter a line in your own voice, who cares? I don’t know the story so it sucks if he was promised something and Lucas reneged on it. Once again though, Lucas fucked up so much in the Star Wars stories that this doesn’t exactly move my needle much. I had to sit through Darth Vaders childhood on a shitty desert planet so not seeing what could have been any tall guys face doesn’t annoy me much.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I would watch that documentary. That being said, he’s an actor like I’m a circus elephant. If you walk around a set in complete head to toe costume and never utter a line in your own voice, who cares? I don’t know the story so it sucks if he was promised something and Lucas reneged on it. Once again though, Lucas fucked up so much in the Star Wars stories that this doesn’t exactly move my needle much. I had to sit through Darth Vaders childhood on a shitty desert planet so not seeing what could have been any tall guys face doesn’t annoy me much.

Star Wars was not his only acting job,

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001190/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
It was a movie...pure fiction. Vader's character was was TWO iconic people simultaneously...Prowse's physical presence and James Earl Jones's voice. One did not exist without the other.

Seriously, can anyone imagine Vader with a different voice? It just wouldn't have been the same.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if I was 6’6” I could have played Darth Vader just as effectively as Mr Prowse. That ain’t acting. In all honesty I credit James Earl Jones more as DV iconically than the actor wearing a full body suit. Anyone can impersonate a tall guy if you are tall. Nobody is nailing that voice.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I can see it now...

Special Release of Star Wars: The real voice of Darth Vader

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well, if I was 6’6” I could have played Darth Vader just as effectively as Mr Prowse. That ain’t acting. In all honesty I credit James Earl Jones more as DV iconically than the actor wearing a full body suit. Anyone can impersonate a tall guy if you are tall. Nobody is nailing that voice.

Sure, anybody *could* have done it, but Prowse did do it. As you stated, one could not exist without the other. Vader was sinister because of his voice AND his physical presence. I can't see Vader being nearly as intimidating were he of average height. Prowse did a good job emoting through the costume (that isn't easy - see how looney toons the Power Rangers were when they had to act through their full-face suits).

Jones IS Darth Vader. That voice is everything, and there is no shame at all in not having as good a voice as James Earl Jones. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't see Vader being nearly as intimidating were he of average height.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Not that it really matters, but he apparently died from complications from covid.

A larger than life actor, which is saying something at 6' 6".

May the force be with you Mr. Prowse.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift. Anybody see the commercials for the bible app where James Earl Jones reads the bible ? Either him or Morgan Freeman reading the bible. Can’t go wrong.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Continuing that thread drift... David Suchet (he of Poirot legend) reading the Bible is incredible. Must have audiobook.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I guess what people were so pissed about is the way it was done. He was allowed to act and speak all parts of Vader and apparently was not told he was not the voice of Vader. Then when they filmed the final Vader scene without him was a pisser.

Later he stops getting invites to gatherings etc. At the least it was mean spirited by Lucas.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wasn't he banned from fan conventions due to constantly voicing up his ongoing feud with George Lucas at such? Mainly about the whole dubbing thing? Not a good fan experience.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Wasn't he banned from fan conventions due to constantly voicing up his ongoing feud with George Lucas at such? Mainly about the whole dubbing thing? Not a good fan experience.

Also, I don't know about him being 'unknown.' I knew his name (along with Kenny Baker (R2), Anthony Daniels (c3po), Peter Mayhew (Chewie) and Frank Oz (Yoda), all of whom acted without us ever seeing their faces) when I was a teenager in the 1980s. Of course, most people likely never knew who he was, and as a nerd, I've always obsessed over sci-fi minutia. . .

Also, there are two sides to every quarrel. If he was vocally trash-talking Lucas, then he should not have been surprised to be dis-invited to conventions - that would happen to nearly anybody who would be unwise enough to vocally trash one's employer. To me, it sounds petty that he got butt-hurt about not being able to voice Vader. The character just wouldn't be sinister without that deep baritone voice, and James Earl Jones was perfect for that role (as well as playing Mufasa in Lion King).

As far as voices go, try this one: Winnie the Pooh's voice actor reading Darth Vader's lines (he goes on to do Darkwing Duck as a bonus):

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to be the douche here. Did his paychecks cash? Did his contract say he was going to be the voice and it would be his face? After the success of the first movie George Lucas could have replaced him with nearly any fucking body that was 6’6”. Literally he could have gotten a tall nerd to do it for fucking free. Mark Hamill is a shitty actor but for fucks sake he at least acted. Wasn’t there a little actor in R2D2 as well?

George Lucas may be a dick and he fucked up huge elements of the story but putting James Earl Jones voice over some half ass British accent speaking body builder actor wasn’t a mistake. It was artistic genius. If only he had applied some of that genius to his other casting decisions. It’s like a workshop for bad actors. Sir Alec Guinness and others being exceptions. Hayden Christensen and Mark Hamill are the
two biggest roles in the story. They both are shitty actors. All of which ignores that Prowse didn’t act in that movie. He moved from spot to spot and gestured. He may have felt like an actor but alas no.