Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jobs Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted
I am not a big government social program person but the government should look into a program to help Texas with giving the opportunity to people on welfare to go there and learn a trade pay them good set them in housing have a few master at what ever they do over seeing them and teaching them because their is a shortege of construction workers as it is and they could learn a trade.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to get people back to work, but why does the government need to be involved? If someone out of work wants to learn a trade, start calling contractors in that part of Texas.

By the time the government put a program in place, everything would probably already be done, anyway.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
You'd have less people on welfare and you still wouldn't get the result you are thinking. Those on welfare have gotten so used to it being "given" that any time you add a qualifier like "you have to work 20 hours", then miraculously, the recipient no longer feels the need to have it. Some folks are just too lazy to get a job, even if it means their lives would be so much better. I think it is a novel idea, but honestly, I have no confidence that it could be implemented with any satisfactory results.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't skilled tradesmen descend on Texas to rebuild? Seems if you wanted to work in construction you'd be heading to Texas.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
I am not a big government social program person but the government should look into a program to help Texas with giving the opportunity to people on welfare to go there and learn a trade pay them good set them in housing

It is actually a good idea, but a disaster if government is the primary mover of this program. It would be a 100% guarantee of graft, corruption, mismanagement, etc.

A quality Fortune 500 company would be a better source for this type of thing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, there is no contractor license in Texas, except wells, electrical and maybe plumbing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Texas, HVAC, Plumbing and Electrical all require licensing and operation under a Masters license. I don't know about GCs.

Already hearing about unlicensed slimeballs trying to purchase HVAC parts in the Houston area.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
there isn't going to be enough contractors in texas to take care of this. there is a shortage of construction workers all over the country. if anyone could pull it off it would be trump

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A quality Fortune 500 company would be a better source for this type of thing

The big boys, Kellogg, Brown and Root, Bechtel, and others will be all over this. They will secure huge contracts from the Federal Government. There will be lots of cheating. I saw that first hand after Katrina. Shortly after the contracts were awarded Federal attorneys were being recruited to prosecute all the individuals involved in fraudulent behavior. They were busy for years. They went after the little people for the most part.

Think Defense Contracting, political connections etc. There is no easy way to do this.

I am hoping that Trump will be able to move this along. I am impressed thus far with the response. I think some hard lessons were learned from Katrina.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There will be plenty of jobs because of this and a huge labor shortage for a while.
The problem is that most of the people without jobs right now are either the truly disabled or just don't have any intention of working when they get a check for doing nothing.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anybody in the Fed Gov knows about construction, it would be Trump. I can almost imagine him giving the Rodney dangerfield lecture to the business professor in "Back to School"

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Washington State has a large apprentership program
http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLi...enticeship/Programs/

Texas also has one
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/job...-program-job-seekers

I attended training on the Washington program. LOTS of different trades. We were able to get one of our SPED students into a high school apprentership program. He spent 18 months, graduated and then went full time. However, the director told me it was the faculty support that got him in. That's important. Ship people to Texas, you remove them from their support systems. They get homesick and problems back home are a distraction.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WPA

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post