SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Francisco Awards $190,000 To Illegal Immigrant Over "Sanctuary City Violation"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Francisco Awards $190,000 To Illegal Immigrant Over "Sanctuary City Violation" Login/Join 
posted
http://www.sfexaminer.com/man-...uary-city-violation/

A man who San Francisco police turned over to immigration authorities in violation of The City’s sanctuary ordinance is set to be awarded $190,000 in a settlement agreement reached with the City Attorney’s Office, which his lawyer hopes will push police to obey such laws.

Pedro Figueroa-Zarceno, 33, sued The City on Jan. 17 for violating its sanctuary city laws when officers at Southern Station allegedly cooperated with immigration officials. Figueroa-Zarceno, an undocumented immigrant and native of El Salvador, went to the station at 1251 3rd Street in Mission Bay in December 2015 to report a stolen car.

But instead of helping him find his car, officers called immigration authorities, who took him into custody outside of the station.

Police reports and case documents previously obtained by the Examiner showed that officers at the station detained Figueroa-Zarceno after they ran his name and found a warrant for his arrest. But they were unable to find details on the warrant, so Figueroa-Zarceno was released from a side door, where he was then arrested by immigration officials. Those officials had been notified by San Francisco police.

“It’s really important for San Francisco to remain a sanctuary city not in name only but also in practice,” said Saira Hussain, a staff attorney at the Asian Law Caucus, who represented Zarceno.

Hussain said her client’s case is not an isolated incident, and she hopes the settlement will encourage the department to follow its own rules and city ordinances. One recent case she mentioned was when an undercover officer, Joshua Fry, was caught on tape allegedly threatening to call immigration authorities on men in U.N. Plaza on May 5.

“Our hope is that the department is going to look into this further and really examine the way that the department can do more,” she said.

The department did not return a request for comment Wednesday.

The settlement agreement — which was introduced to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Tuesday and has yet to be voted on — and lawsuit names a number of officers who were involved, including then-Acting Chief of Police Toney Chaplin, Sheriff Vicki Hennessy, sgts. Trevor Kelly and Eric Balmy, and officers Kevin Clifford, Nicole Chambers and Dayna Thibeaux.

Settlement agreements that are reached by the City Attorney’s Office are usually approved by the Board of Supervisors, but the body can reject them. The matter will next go before the Government Audit and Oversight Committee, which will then send their recommendation back to the Board of Supervisors.

City law, the Due Process for All Ordinance, bars law enforcement from cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, among other federal immigration officials, except in a few exceptions when violent criminals are involved. Part of the law’s purpose was to encourage immigrants to report crimes they may otherwise not report because they fear law enforcement will turn them over to immigration authorities.

The City’s sanctuary laws have been center stage in recent years in national politics, including in the killing of San Francisco resident Kathryn Steinle by an undocumented immigrant who at Pier 14 on July 1, 2015.

The suspect, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, a Mexican citizen, had been sent to San Francisco on an old drug possession warrant from federal custody and then released months before the shooting.

The City came under fire from many who said that Steinle’s death was due to The City’s policies, which allowed the release of Lopez-Sanchez from jail because he had no violent convictions.

Posts: 12676 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Wtf?

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the border wall is built I hope that California is behind it, they act like a foreign country.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Insanity.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Just turn the wall north at Needles.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wtf? Ignoring the idiocy that is sanctuary city, from what budget is this money paid?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Let's boil this down to the pertinent facts (i.e. get rid of all the bs the lawyer spewed) - A man with an outstanding warrant goes into the police station, his name pops up for the warrant, the media intentionally leaves out the details of the warrant (I'm guessing federal), and he is arrested by the feds. Now, San Fran City Attorney’s Office wants to pay his dumb ass $190k.

This is dumb even by San Fran standards. I don't give a shit if you're an illegal alien or the Congressional MoH recipient, if your dumb ass goes into a police station while you have an outstanding warrant then you should expect to be arrested.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Why in the name of fleeting sanity would anyone pay taxes in the City of San Francisco?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
No surprise, the whole-state is run by a bunch of friggin' looney-tunes, and congenital imbeciles.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of Tucker Carlson discussing the issue with an 'immigration activist' from San Francisco.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually applaud this. If I was more of an entrepreneur, I'd set up a cottage industry where I'd gather felonious illegals with outstanding warrant, bus them into SF, drop them off, have ICE bust them, post bail, sue city, and split the booty 50/50 with Juan or Pedro.

Did I miss anything?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah. The check is made out in their name, and they're definite flight risks.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I bet the city officials in San Francisco didn't see that coming when they created the law to save undocumented immigrants.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Good. Hope more illegals are in line for fat payouts. Serves these SF asshats right for coming up with this sanctuary BS in the first place. The city has a $10,000,000,000.00 budget. Payouts to illegals? No problem. Come and get it.

Regarding this:
The suspect, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, a Mexican citizen, had been sent to San Francisco on an old drug possession warrant from federal custody and then released months before the shooting.

The ex-sheriff asshole specifically requested this illegal turd be turned over to the city on those warrants. The only reason for this was so he could play hero and set the illegal free. Of course, the new sheriff also has to play nice with the F illegals.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I actually applaud this. If I was more of an entrepreneur, I'd set up a cottage industry where I'd gather felonious illegals with outstanding warrant, bus them into SF, drop them off, have ICE bust them, post bail, sue city, and split the booty 50/50 with Juan or Pedro.

Did I miss anything?
I like it. Use Saul Alinsky's rule #4 "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules" right back at them until they break.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA. Soon to join IL.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Ca and they deserve it, We don't.

The wall should surround California not Mexico.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Disgusting. Just disgusting.

Federal funding needs to be cut off, totally, for "sanctuary" cities with administrations that defy federal law.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
So does NYS.

quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
When the border wall is built I hope that California is behind it, they act like a foreign country.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One of these days, someone is going to see SanFrancisco on some of those acting award shows, getting a trophy for pathetic day time soap opera category, we'll realize that it wasn't actually real life, just a fictional soap opera like the others, and breathe a sigh of relief.....

Or will we?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post