SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feeling your oats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling your oats Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
I have been feeling real shitty for the past few weeks. I just turned 60 and I am wondering what the future holds.

I was at a function with my wife this afternoon at a pizza/wings pub. In walks a 25 year old male who just finished a workout at the gym. He was flexing in front of his 5-6 buddies. He was polite and cool and he sat across the table from us. After about an hour and 4 beers later, I told my wife that I wanted to arm wrestle him. She freaked and said that she did not want to see me in the hospital. She went to the restroom, and in her absence, I challenged him. He accepted in front of his buddies and I asked him to wait until my wife came back. No problem.

He was licking his chops as his veins popped out of his biceps. We lined up as his pals all whipped out their cameras to video the match. We went back and forth with each of us almost pinning the other. 2 minutes into it we called it a draw. No one was going to win. It was a lot of fun and I had not arm wrestled in 30 years.

When I told him that I was 60, he and his friends congratulated me. I was not sure what I would do against him. Honestly, I thought I would pin him in 10 seconds. Instead of being disappointed, my self confidence was a bit restored. I was taken aback about my wife's lack confidence in me.

I feel a bit better now. Getting old sucks...................

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I just turned 60 and I am wondering what the future holds.

Whatever it holds will be better if you work at maintaining your strength and stamina—and working at it is what it takes as we get older; they won’t maintain themselves. It’s good that you still have it because it’s a lot easier to maintain it than get it back.

Congratulations, by the way. That’s impressive. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Well, congrats on the draw, if I had done that my back would probably have given out!

As far as getting old, might as well get used to it, and enjoy whatever you can still do that is the most enjoyable.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Even if you had lost, I do not think you would have lost your self esteem.

As for old age (65), I can still do a lot of work. in one day.

But not so nuch the next day.

Younger, Like all of us, I could rebound and work like that every day.

Thats my assessment of my physical doings.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job. Keep up your strenght training, once its gone its gone.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure, I am 5'7" and about 265 lbs. About 90 lbs overweight.

I am a nuclear medicine courier. I am moving 90 lb, lead lined cases all day long. My upper body strength is ok. But I have no stamina.

When I get home, I am pooped. Too tired to cycle or hit the gym.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I turn 60 this fall so I do emphasize.

I'm losing weight by diet and going to the Y every day. 30-45 minutes walking on the treadmill, a tour of the weight machines, nothing too heavy. Don't try to be a he-man, just get exercise.

See your doc for a good thorough checkup and blood work. You might have close to clogged arteries. You need blood to flow with good oxygen.

Stop eating crappy food. Stop the processed crap. Just eat good quality basic foods.

No sugar. Cut it out. No processed sugar. I had a couple weeks of craving withdrawal pangs that were a real bitch.

A huge factor: Do you sleep well? I'll just about bet you have sleep apnea. Get tested. It changed my life immensely.

My best wishes to you.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I used to think I could hold my own arm wrestling. Then I saw a buddy's upper arm snap doing just that and have chosen to live in the past since then.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Full disclosure, I am 5'7" and about 265 lbs. About 90 lbs overweight.

I am a nuclear medicine courier. I am moving 90 lb, lead lined cases all day long. My upper body strength is ok. But I have no stamina.

When I get home, I am pooped. Too tired to cycle or hit the gym.

I have no room to talk as I'm 40lbs over weight, but just think about it, carrying a 90 lb bag of cement around all day and moving 90 lb cases of course you going to be tired. I'm in the process of losing mine 1 lb at a time it took sometime to put it on it's going to take time to take it off. holding your own with a person have you're age is impressive.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Gene,

You are dead on with your guesses. I do eat a lot of processed sugars and processed food.

I need blood work and some cardio in my life. I do not sleep well either.

Yesterday should be a wakeup call.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I'm losing weight by diet and going to the Y every day. 30-45 minutes walking on the treadmill, a tour of the weight machines, nothing too heavy. Don't try to be a he-man, just get exercise.

See your doc for a good thorough checkup and blood work. You might have close to clogged arteries. You need blood to flow with good oxygen.

Stop eating crappy food. Stop the processed crap. Just eat good quality basic foods.

No sugar. Cut it out. No processed sugar. I had a couple weeks of craving withdrawal pangs that were a real bitch.

A huge factor: Do you sleep well? I'll just about bet you have sleep apnea. Get tested. It changed my life immensely.

My best wishes to you.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Rip, I did think about that!

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I used to think I could hold my own arm wrestling. Then I saw a buddy's upper arm snap doing just that and have chosen to live in the past since then.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
There's a Toby Keith song, "I'm as good once as I ever was". At 67, I'm finding this can be true in a lot of things. The difference being the price in sore muscles and recovery time just takes longer and I'm less tolerant of the aches.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just turned 60 and I am wondering what the future holds ... Getting old sucks.
Whatever is in your future, I hope it's great!

And as for getting old, you're nowhere near that. I just turned 80 and I'm beginning to think that sooner or later I might get old.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do keep moving!

Just hiked the Pyrenees, I'm 55.6 and saw older folks doing the same.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad was 88 years old and still played volleyball at the beach until he twisted wrong and broke a hip.

You are not old............

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gene,

You are dead on with your guesses. I do eat a lot of processed sugars and processed food.

quote:

My best wishes to you.

I am not your guys age yet, I am 46. However I can relate. Since February I have quit eating processed food, sugars other than natural in fruits and vegetables and gone to a high protein diet. The first two weeks where rough and sleep was limited. I am working with a trainer along with the diet and have been able to go from 255-218 as of this morning. I feel better than I can ever remember. Give it a try. All the best!

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks LR, I miss my trips to the hangar!

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I just turned 60 and I am wondering what the future holds ... Getting old sucks.
Whatever is in your future, I hope it's great!

And as for getting old, you're nowhere near that. I just turned 80 and I'm beginning to think that sooner or later I might get old.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shawn, I started doing most(except the gym and trainer) of this the morning after. Progress will come slow.

quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
quote:
Gene,

quote:

My best wishes to you.

I am not your guys age yet, I am 46. However I can relate. Since February I have quit eating processed food, sugars other than natural in fruits and vegetables and gone to a high protein diet. The first two weeks where rough and sleep was limited. I am working with a trainer along with the diet and have been able to go from 255-218 as of this morning. I feel better than I can ever remember. Give it a try. All the best!

Shawn

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
The 90 lb bag of cement comment hit me the hardest.

[quote] from XLT "but just think about it, carrying a 90 lb bag of cement around all day and moving 90 lb cases of course you going to be tired."