SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much spam do you get?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much spam do you get? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A frequent excuse when someone doesn’t receive an email from me is that it went to his spam folder. Like everyone, I occasionally get spam emails, but I nevertheless at least look at the folder when something goes there to determine who sent it. The only reason I can think of why other people don’t do that is because they receive such a high volume of spam that they can’t afford the time to even open the folder.

I’m curious, therefore, how much spam some people get during a typical day. (In most weeks I get a total of maybe four or five messages that go to spam on three accounts.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8 or 10 a day. I scan through my Spam folder every three days or so and then delete everything in it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Service provide filters 99% of the spam before it hits my mail box. I've checked many times and there's never been something worthwhile that they have deleted. I do however receive a lot of what I would consider "junk" email, but for the most part these are something I'm somewhat interested in although most days I just breeze by them. For instance email from Brownell's. I don't want to restrict these emails, but I also don't read a lot of them. I've got a bunch of folders set up in Thunderbird (my email app) so such semi desirable junk gets filtered to one place and I can read or delete. Don't know if that answers your question.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I get many emails from companies like Brownells and organizations like the NRA, but I don’t consider them spam because I’ve signed up to receive them. I consider spam to be things that seem to be phishing attempts from unknown senders, or totally unsolicited stuff.

I guess I should say that spam is something that goes to a separate folder that must be specifically opened to see what's in it. My in boxes are open all the time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I get 30-40 a day. Most is mail that I have previously marked as spam.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get about 20/day actual unwanted spam in each account auto filtered by email. Add 50/day per account of various stuff I signed up for but don't often read. I check the junk folder if I'm expecting something that might get caught or every few weeks. It's rare that anything important gets auto junked.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ask mbinky, he's our resident SPAM expert.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Please define spam for all of us. Your answer might be different than mine. I think anything from an unknown sender or from someone trying to sell me something I call spam. I have one sender who sends me 3 to 5 messages of a political nature that I just don't want to read or be bothered with. Every single day. My hope is that he'll die someday soon and rid me of the burden. He's old and fat to the point of being unhealthy. I have no idea why he keeps up his newsletter, but he does. I haven't read one in years. I just mark it as spam and move along.

Any message trying to sell me anything I have no interest in reading, so I mark them the same way. Using that criteria, I probably get 10 or so garbage messages. It only takes me seconds to mark them. It takes more time to try to rid myself of them by contacting the sender. And any contact with the spammer is just telling them they've reached me.

The same goes for the phone calls. My wife noticed that the phone messages have changed tone. Instead of morning calls, they're late afternoon calls. I will stop answering them because 9 out of 10 are sent with no one on the other end.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I have three email addresses that all use the same name but are @ different provider.

For family I like, close friends, SigForum notices ~ they get the email address that is tied to my cell phone.

For family I don't like but must respond to, regular friends & acquaintances, and companies I actually use like banks, Amazon, electric company, cell provider, etc ~ they get an email that I have to use a computer to read. I usually read this one on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon but not daily.

For websites where I have to create a profile to access or stupid stuff like having to provide an email to get a discount I have a third email address where I login once every six months or so just to make sure it doesn't get shut off.

Spam has never shown up in the 1st box.

Spam does show up occasionally in the 2nd box, but it's not more then a couple a week.

The 3rd box is nothing but spam, and there is a lot from senders I have never heard of plus all the scammers wanting my help to smuggle money out of some African country.

Having three email addresses and being rather diligent on who is given which email address one has helped me manage spam over the years.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My old ISP is still my email provider and they have a spam holding feature. I have to scan through it experience has shown.

I didn't get an overload of spam before Christmas which surprised me. But since then it's nuts, 50-100 a day.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
50+ per day

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When looking at the title of the post, my thought was that I buy it in 8 pack that Costco sells.

Generally 15-25 spam emails per day. My home PC sends it to junk but my cell still gets them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I get 100 spam emails every single day, and I delete the spam folder without even looking in it.

So yeah, it can happen.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always found it interesting that when I first got my cable internet I never got SPAM. Then one day the cable company updated the system so it had a SPAM folder. And then suddenly I got lots of SPAM. Hmmmm...

That email still gets a couple a day, always from the same companies. I probably have 12-15 active email accounts, a few get some spam, most get none.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I use G Suite exclusively and get very few true spam emails each day. Maybe two. My clients who have posted their email address in a public forum or on a business website routinely find they get a crapload of spam. (Don't put your email address on a website, use a contact form instead.)

Just an FYI. If you use AOL or Yahoo for an email service, they flat out delete valid emails.

I work with websites that can send out hundreds (sometimes thousands) of transactional emails each day. Routinely, AOL and Yahoo provides me with a "Delivered, Server response: 250 OK" response. Yet the email is dropped, and never makes it into your inbox or spam folder.

I use a specific domain for sending email, and route through a proper transactional email service with "warmed up" IP addresses (Mailgun). Still have issues with AOL and Yahoo.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I buy one tin of spam a week.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Almost none. Maybe one or two per year.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
This got me thinking so I checked,I had 54 and the last time I checked was around thanksgiving.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 cans of the Turkey Spam at Walmart yesterday! Does that count?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

In my main client (Postbox) I don't even have a SPAM folder. That's because I have a filter in place at my email provider (OpenSRS) that says to deliver ALL mail to my inbox, and junk filtering is disabled in the client as well. I don't want someone's algorithm deciding for me what is SPAM or not. I want to see all my mail. The few SPAMs I do get are deleted from the inbox without opening, as they are easily recognizable. Occasionally I'll "view source" of a suspicious email, but not open it. Once in a great while, it is legitimate.

I would say I get an average of 4-5 SPAMs/week.

Now Apple's Mail program, even though I have Junk Filtering turned off, still puts those few SPAMs into its Junk folder.

I run both clients, Postbox (a Thunderbird derivative) for my main client, and Apple Mail with iCloud sync to my phone. Both POP from the same server.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post