SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 344 345 346 347 348 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Dershowitz clarifies

https://www.mediaite.com/elect...t-really-part-of-it/

Alan Dershowitz clarified his role on President Donald Trump’s legal defense team in an interview with Mediate founder Dan Abrams Friday, stating he is NOT a “full fledged” member of the impeachment defense.

Dershowitz said on The Dan Abrams Show on SiriusXM’s POTUS Channel, that he will just provide an hourlong constitutional defense of the president before the Senate as Trump goes on trial next week.

“I think it overstates it to say I’m a member of the Trump team. I was asked to present the constitutional argument that I would have presented had Hillary Clinton been elected and had she been impeached,” Dershowitz said.

“I was asked to present my constitutional argument against impeachment,” he continued. “I will be there for one hour, basically, presenting my argument. But I’m not a full-fledged member of the defense team in any realistic sense of that term.”

posted Hide Post
Just be fair and honest that’s all anyone could ask.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: recoatlift,

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Having Professor Alan Dershowitz on the Defense team is a real winner. He is a true Liberal, but also aa very strong proponent of the Constitution and the Law. He won't let the Dems get away with anything!

flashguy

Agreed, without question. He is absolutely a screaming liberal, and I disagree with MANY of his opinions, but he believes in the rule of law and the Constitution above all else (the difference between a leftist POS and a classical liberal.)

If he were to crash his car on Capitol Hill, sustain a concussion, drink a fifth of Jack Daniels and stagger drunk into the Senate chamber to present his Constitutional case against impeachment, he'd still have a better mastery of the topic than the entire team or House Democrat "impeachment managers."

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The four Republican senators who are most likely to support calling witnesses to the senate impeachment trial are:

Collins, Gardner, Romney, and Murkowski

https://hotair.com/archives/al...alling-hunter-biden/

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Having Professor Alan Dershowitz on the Defense team is a real winner. He is a true Liberal, but also aa very strong proponent of the Constitution and the Law. He won't let the Dems get away with anything!

flashguy

Agreed, without question. He is absolutely a screaming liberal, and I disagree with MANY of his opinions, but he believes in the rule of law and the Constitution above all else (the difference between a leftist POS and a classical liberal.)

If he were to crash his car on Capitol Hill, sustain a concussion, drink a fifth of Jack Daniels and stagger drunk into the Senate chamber to present his Constitutional case against impeachment, he'd still have a better mastery of the topic than the entire team or House Democrat "impeachment managers."

Dershowitz has been a guest on Mark Levin and Ben Shapiro recently. To be fair to him, he's not a "liberal" in the way the term is used today, but in the more traditional sense. He even specified on one of the programs he was more of a libertarian than anything else.

But above all, he's a believer in, and a defender of the Constitution. If anyone can make a case that DJT's impeachment is anti-Constitutional, it's Dr. Dershowitz.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Pelosi really is a vindictive and arrogant old hag isn't she

I hope she gets taken down a few notches and put in her rightful place really soon

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Why Trump’s Trade Pact With China Is a Very Big Deal

written by Alexander Green January 17, 2020

The U.S.-China trade war has cast a black cloud over the U.S. economy and stock market for the last two years.

Alexander Green explains why the Phase One deal reached yesterday means blue skies ahead for equity investors.

The U.S. stock market climbed to an all-time high Wednesday. It did again Thursday. Then it hit another record today.

We don’t have to wonder why.

The announcement of this week’s trade agreement with China is not just a big deal.

It’s the most significant economic accomplishment of the Trump administration to date.

Yes, deregulation was a plus. Corporate tax reform provided a boost as well.

But – let’s face it – if a Republican president can’t get a tax cut through a Republican House and a Republican Senate, he’s in the wrong business.

With China, President Trump took a huge political risk. And it paid off. Big time.

His critics argued for two years that his “trade war” would tank the U.S. economy.

They insisted that China – immune from the democratic pressures we have at home – would simply play the long game and wait him out.

It didn’t happen. Although there was certainly some pain along the way…

Trump knew that trade tensions would negatively affect the U.S. economy. (Economists estimate that it knocked approximately 0.5% off GDP growth each of the last two years.)

The conflict adversely impacted farmers.

And it hurt U.S. importers as well as exporters, who suffered from China’s retaliatory actions.

This is exactly why Trump’s predecessors – both Republican and Democrat – preferred to appease the Chinese government rather than confront it.

Here’s what this Phase One deal accomplishes:

Beijing will ramp up purchases of U.S. goods and services by $200 billion over the next two years.
The deal prevents and punishes forced technology transfers and the theft of trade secrets.
It removes barriers that prevented U.S. banks from expanding into China’s financial markets.
The two sides agreed to create a dispute resolution office to address complaints from U.S. businesses.
China commits to not devaluating its currency to gain a competitive market advantage.
It leaves in place U.S. tariffs on about $370 billion of Chinese goods – or about three-quarters of that nation’s imports to the U.S. – to incentivize a speedy resolution of Phase Two.

The business community is already celebrating, of course. And investors are throwing a party in the stock market.

Yet the national media – predictably – has acted like the skunk at the garden party. Big Grin

The Washington Post, for example, posted this “news” headline: “Trump Touts ‘Momentous’ China Deal, But Trade Tensions Are Far From Solved.”

It offered this news “analysis” headline: “‘Phase One’ Is Signed: How Much Was Really Gained?”

The editorial board moaned that, “The deal leaves intact the foundations of Chinese mercantilism: a vast system of subsidies to favored high-tech industries and state-owned firms.”

(As if Trump should have also negotiated a new political and economic system for the world’s most populous nation.)

The Post‘s op-ed page piled on with “Two Years of Trade Wars and This Is What We Get?” from Catherine Rampell and “Why Trump Caved on China” by CNN’s Fareed Zakaria.

There was no mention that the president took a huge political risk for the benefit of the country and won.

Don’t get me wrong. I remain a critic of some of Trump’s economic policies.

I favor free trade over so-called “managed trade,” where the executive branch picks economic winners and losers.

The president is flat wrong to insist that the U.S. Treasury collected billions from the Chinese as a result of his tariffs. (U.S. businesses and consumers ate the costs.)

And he could do even more good if he concentrated on the budget deficit rather than the trade deficit.

But this week’s trade deal was a meaningful victory in an economic conflict that has been building for decades.

Trump correctly calculated that his tariffs would hurt China more than us. And he was right.

(China’s third quarter GDP growth was the weakest in three decades and – despite that country’s “official” numbers – was probably flat.)

Equity investors – whatever their political stripes – should open the good champagne tonight.

China will open its markets to U.S. goods and services, boosting agriculture, manufacturing, technology and financial services.

Closer economic ties also lessen our adversarial relationship with China. (At the signing ceremony, Vice Premier Liu He played up the need for both countries to tackle challenges like terrorism, aging and environmental protection.)

Best of all, the deal reduces the economic uncertainty that investors hate.

Trade tensions with China were a black cloud over the market. Now they’re gone.

And while stocks are bound to experience the occasional squall in the weeks ahead, investors are rightly seeing blue skies ahead right now.

Good investing,

Alex

https://libertythroughwealth.c...-big-deal/?src=email

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found it hilarious last week, on one of the Jeopardy episodes, that none of the three very bright contestants, were able to identify a photo of Adam Schiff. I'd say that reflects how much attention is being paid to this impeachment fiasco by the general public.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
On a side note, I can't believe that Monday will mark the launch of "The Trump Presidency: Year IV"!! And I'm looking forward to seeing it all the way to chapter VIII!!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we're only just half way (actually less than half way) through these threads.

It's a good thing I'm pacing myself. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I found it hilarious last week, on one of the Jeopardy episodes, that none of the three very bright contestants, were able to identify a photo of Adam Schiff. I'd say that reflects how much attention is being paid to this impeachment fiasco by the general public.

In all fairness, those shows are taped 3 months in advance of airing. They still should have known who he was because he started his bullshit quest in early October and the MSN was all over it at the time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
In other good news:

Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez Angry USMCA Doesn’t Contain ‘a Single Damn Mention of Climate Change’

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) are upset that the U.S.-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) agreement, which passed in the U.S. Senate on Thursday, does not contain “a single damn mention of ‘climate change.'”

Sanders wrote on Twitter, “250 pages. 37,500 words. Not a single damn mention of ‘climate change,'” then proclaimed that “Trump’s NAFTA is a giveaway to the fossil fuel industry.”

“I voted NO because the future of our planet is more important than the short-term profits of Exxon Mobil and Chevron,” he asserted alongside a video detailing his decision.

Blah, blah , blah, wah, wah, wah.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...tion-climate-change/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
former CIA chief John Brennan:

"People are innocent until they are alleged to be in some type of criminal activity"

https://americanactionnews.com...risingly-warped-take

spoken like a good coup conspirator

Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

"People are innocent until they are alleged to be in some type of criminal activity"

And this communist, piece of shit traitor still roams free.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, wow. It's a bit scary to think that this man was the CIA Director.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:

He should’ve just said, ‘People are innocent if they’re left wing-swamp occupants. If not they are guilty until proven innocent.’

People like him make me sick.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
John O. Brennan

@JohnBrennan
On MSNBC tonight, I mistakenly said Trump wrote note, released by House yesterday, saying “get Zelensky to announce Biden investigation.” It was written by Les Parnas, who told Rachel Maddow today in explosive interview everything he did was known & directed by Giuliani & Trump.

Also remarkable that the former head of an intelligence agency seems incapable of attributing evidence correctly or even getting the names of witnesses correct. Incompetent or just sloppy and lazy?

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:

Holy shit that is scary coming from a man who had the CIA at his command. Just imagine if Hilary had won. Gives me chills.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Echoes of Beria.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
People are innocent until they are alleged to be in some type of criminal activity"

Where tyranny begins, and why "Innocent until proven Guilty" exists.

Amazing how insightful our founding fathers were in their day and age.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post