SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Like I said before... do it in a stadium filled with screaming supporters. Have flags, fireworks, marching bands.

Make it a pro-USA rally so over the top it will be a spectacle everyone will watch and remember.

And make it a full-on Trump style assault on the entire swamp, no holding back.
That would only work if the President also used his Constitutional authority to convene both houses of Congress at that location--I don't think it's ever been done, but the Constitution gives him that authority.

flashguy

So, IMO, he should hold it at RFK stadium. One section taped off for the "dignitaries" the rest open to the public.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Trump is completely correct to not propose giving the SOTU anywhere but the house.
Suggestions here of alternatives such as Twitter are a joke.
The perception of that would be an embarrassment.
The November election was bad. Pelosi is bad and she's one up on Trump here .
Shutting down her plane isn't going to work.

You're not serious are you? Confused

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
She's petty, the Dems have no actual response or reason to not fund the wall, and polling on the subject is not relevant as Trump is doing what has to be done to protect the citizens.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
he should send a two sentence report to Congress.

'The State of the Union is good. It could be much better if not for the democrats shutting the government.'

he should then give the real state of the union address to the people. No advance copies to Congress or to any of the media outlets.

let them watch it real time, react real time, and watch the dems eat themselves trying to rebutt it.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Piss off Keystoner, you closet Democrat. If you're really that clueless, take it somewhere else.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Piss off Keystoner, you closet Democrat. If you're really that clueless, take it somewhere else.

Closet Democrat? Funny. You don't seem to like discussion unless it's with people who agree with you.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Closet Democrat? Funny. You don't seem to like discussion unless it's with people who agree with you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
She's petty, the Dems have no actual response or reason to not fund the wall, and polling on the subject is not relevant as Trump is doing what has to be done to protect the citizens.

Are you talking about the same pollsters that predicted Clinton was going to win the election by double digits? Those polls? If so, you're right, the current polling is irrelevant.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Listen buddy boy. If you think I'm going to tolerate leftist HORSE SHIT in this forum, when it's every freaking where else I go, you've got another thing coming. I don't give a fuck about what you think about how I handle things here. If you don't like it, then leave. I mean it. If you don't like it, just fucking leave, and take your smarmy remarks about President Trump with you. That kind of shit will not be missed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
take your smarmy remarks about President Trump with you.

This is what I don't get. My remarks aren't smarmy. Just because I don't agree with every single thing Trump does doesn't make me a closet Democrat. Just because I don't think there is nothing Trump can do wrong, doesn't mean I don't support him. How am I going to get an opposing opinion on something specific I disagree with on this forum if I can't even post it. Not that I think this forum owes me that, I just want to be clear.

Year V

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
My remarks aren't smarmy.
Oh, horse fucking SHIT. I just quoted one of those remarks from you. Now I am not going to waste my time with this. Cut the shit or leave.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Trump just sent a letter to Pelosi saying he plans on being there the 29th.

Very different than his tweet.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23...to-pelosi/index.html

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Which was negated by his tweet of 9:18 pm as noted on the previous page of this thread...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Trump Playing the Long Game With State of the Union Deferral

The last column I wrote for this space called for a “People’s State of the Union,” a massive Donald Trump rally delivered in front of thousands of supporters, a sublime statement to Nancy Pelosi that said: “If you don’t want me in your room, I’ll find someplace else.”

It was fun to write, and fun to think about: a State of the Union speech transformed into a massive MAGA spectacle; she’d regret the snub for sure. Other creative ideas arose: deliver it at the border; deliver it down the hall in the Senate.

But late Wednesday night, the president decided there would be no alternative address, no high drama as he took to some other stage to hammer Democrats about the standoff that they could solve in an hour. He would in fact defer to Speaker Pelosi’s yanking of her House chamber invitation and schedule the address when the shutdown is over. “There is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber,” he tweeted, promising “a great State of the Union address in the near future.”

The immediate question was not whether his haters would celebrate this momentary surrender; they promptly did. On the left and among his tormentors who still think they are on the right, the mockery was instant, ridiculing a supposed tough, deal-making Trump for bowing to the superior skills of Nancy Pelosi.

But part of their glee assumed that his base would also see it as a dispiriting capitulation—that Trump supporters would recoil, slump their shoulders and wonder what happened to the fighter they voted for.

Well, he’s still there, and the mutiny is not happening.

The reason is clear: Trump is playing a long game here that extends far beyond a thumb in Pelosi’s eye delivered through some relocated State of the Union. His eye is on the only ball that matters—border security. And no matter how his maneuvers may strike any observer, one thing is certain: he does not do anything that he does not expect to accrue to his benefit.

So what are the benefits of bowing to Pelosi at this moment? As this week blends into the weekend, there will be deep examination of the president’s decision to delay his address. Some valuable takeaways will arise, foremost among them that it is Pelosi who offended tradition by rescinding an invitation issued after the shutdown began, and it is Trump who cleaves to that tradition by agreeing to wait until it can be delivered in its customary place.

This very behavior—letting her have her way for this chapter—is deliciously counterintuitive, disarming the critics who berate Trump as unable to restrain his bullying instincts. Now, not only has he offered DACA protections which are a worthy compromise to secure wall funding, he has now yielded when the world expected him to double down. There is one reason the State of the Union is delayed: Nancy Pelosi. There is one reason wall funding is blocked: Nancy Pelosi. These are valuable impressions that could solidify in the coming days, adding to pressure on Democrats to agree to a border security figure smaller than what government wastes over an average weekend.

Now fast-forward to whatever evening that actually finds us watching the State of the Union. There are clear benefits to the delayed gratification now underway:

The political theater of the alternative address would have been enormously satisfying for the base, but may have ultimately been empty calories. It would have been derided as a stunt if moved outside the Capitol, and surely attended by crowds of seething Trump-haters who would have received as much coverage as the supportive throng inside. Even if moved 200 yards down the hall to the Senate, Democrats would have boycotted, arguing that it was not a “real” State of the Union.

Well, it’s going to be real now. Real uncomfortable, for Democrats who will be tradition-bound to attend a speech guaranteed to contain a lengthy scolding by a president happy to regale the attendees with his take on why the government was shut down for so long, and why border security is so hard to achieve. That captive audience is just one reason why waiting will prove beneficial.

Another is the guest list. Any one of several important figures could have been brought to the stage at a Trump event substituting for the State of the Union, but welcoming them onto that famous House gallery balcony has even more value. Maybe that’s when a few maliciously maligned Covington Catholic High School students and families get a deserved recognition. And most importantly, it would be a fitting occasion to welcome some loved ones of Americans murdered by people who would not have been able to kill if stronger borders kept them out of the country.

So, sure, I would have enjoyed the opportunistically relocated State of the Union. But in sidestepping that tactic for the more traditional approach, displaying restraint and even accommodation of a political foe, President Trump positions himself for the far more important bottom line: fighting for the border security he has promised since he announced he was running for office.

Let mockers enjoy a day of finger-pointing. They will be disappointed when the Trump base does not peel away from him, and positively despondent when they see that once again, he knew exactly what he was doing.

LINK

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is what I don't get. My remarks aren't smarmy. Just because I don't agree with every single thing Trump does doesn't make me a closet Democrat. Just because I don't think there is nothing Trump can do wrong, doesn't mean I don't support him. How am I going to get an opposing opinion on something specific I disagree with on this forum if I can't even post it. Not that I think this forum owes me that, I just want to be clear.

Do not know you but here is a word of advice: Quit while you are ahead!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
quote:

Do not know you but here is a word of advice: Quit while you are ahead!

Thanks for the advice.

Year V

posted Hide Post
EZ-B, good read, thanks!
Can’t wait for President Trump’s SOTU address!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...he-shutdown-n2539969

Last week, House GOP voted to pay federal employees their 1st paycheck of 2019, despite shutdown. Only 6 Dems voted with us. It failed.

Dem priority is not paying workers or opening gov't. It is opposing Trump

The House rejected a GOP measure to pay furloughed workers but keep the government closed in a 222-195 vote

For second time in two weeks, House Dems (minus 10 defectors) defeat GOP effort to ensure federal workers from closed agencies — including furloughed — would receive their first paychecks of ‘19. Pelosi Inc. voted no. Because they just care so much!

With 13 Democratic defections this time, Nancy Pelosi's House majority again shot down another Republican effort to get paychecks to these federal workers. The GOP motion would send the Democratic bill back to committee, to be replaced with the following verbiage: "Provide for the payments of salaries for federal employees during the entirety of the lapse in appropriations that began on December 22."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ral-workers-n2540208

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has officially sent Democrats home for a three-day weekend as the government shutdown continues. Federal workers will miss a second paycheck tomorrow.

Democrats have repeatedly voted against a measure that would pay federal workers.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Actually, Keystoner, it was unduly harsh of me to show you the door over this, and for that, you have my apology.