SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nan says "no-go". I say fuck her. Do it somewhere else or simply mail a letter. Preferably the latter.

Regarding her new reasoning, the shut-down, she can suck it. This is ALL the commies' fault and I say keep it up. Hopefully The Donald keeps his heels dug in, with one caveat - I have two suppressors in jail and this is starting to piss me off. Hopefully they'll at least find a way to fund the ATF and get things moving again.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Pelosi response to President Trump ltr:

"I am writing to inform you that the House of Representatives will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the President’s State of the Union address in the House Chamber until government has opened.

Again, I look forward to welcoming you to the House on a mutually agreeable date for this address when government has been opened."

Sincerely,

NANCY PELOSI

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/2...rnment-shutdown.html

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Nan says "no-go". I say fuck her. Do it somewhere else or simply mail a letter. Preferably the latter.

quote:
The Constitution of the United States
Article. II.
Section. 3.
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;

Send the:
- Financial Report of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2017
- Federal budget for FY19 (still not enacted even though it was due to be enacted 01 OCT 2018!)
- Summary of his proposal from last weekend.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Piglosi really hasn't figured out that she's not in charge yet has she.

do the SOTU speech from an undisclosed location (but one that has a great backdrop). Don't give them a copy of the speech in advance.

You never have to be nice to the enemy, just crush them and move on.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If Ms. Pelosi's rhetoric regarding the wall/shut down and the State of the Union address doesn't communicate her true motives I'm not sure what else would except her standing on a podium and yelling "Hillary was supposed to win, so DAMN IT! I'm in charge now you ignorant jerks"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
They just don't get it. The State of the Union address will get covered and watched by as many Americans as are gonna watch it no matter when it is or where. The average citizen probably doesn't know it is held in the House chamber anyway, just at "Congress" or in "Washington" nor do they care.

I do want it to be convenient for SCOTUS to be present so I can smile at an empty seat...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I want to see the Sgt At Arms physically stop Trump from entering the chamber. I really do. Just drop by for a "visit" and watch Nancy go berzerk.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just declare a National Emergency

It's not clear cut that he would be able to proceed and prevail.

The law that authorizes such a declaration didn't provide a lot of guidance on what constitutes grounds for a national emergency although when past presidents have invoked it, it wasn't in these circumstances where a president is unable to have his preferred legislation pass to his desk.

If Trump were to make such a declaration, the Dems would file suit and some judge will undoubtedly enjoin Trump's declaration while it went up to the Supreme Court. Once there, is a body of judges going to inject their own definition of what a national emergency means when Congress didn't provide any meaningful guidance? Doubtful but there's a risk.

If the President doesn't win the argument then the shutdown was all for naught and he will be forced to deal with Nancy as all other options are inapplicable. And then she holds all the high cards on funding.

The president can declare the emergency but unless it all falls in his favor, he will be stuck with her which helps understand why he wants an agreement instead of a unilateral resolution.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tell is to someone else and you guys need to stop trying to knock down ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING we can do for this country.

I've had it with defeatists

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
No defeats here, just ram it down her throat.

I read his letter and it looked like bait for her to deny him the location. Pretty sure he is a move ahead of her on this one.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

The president can declare the emergency but unless it all falls in his favor, he will be stuck with her which helps understand why he wants an agreement instead of a unilateral resolution.

Dems wouldn't think twice about unilateral action, just as they didn't when they passed Obamacare.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Heavens no I'm not defeatist.

Trump has many high powered advisers and attorneys and unquestionably he can make the declaration. He has that power but can he use it anytime he doesn't get the legislature to pass a bill he likes? That's the unanswered question.

But if the victory was assured and there was no gray area he would have done it already. His high powered pool of advisors is telling him not to do it is the only rational conclusion.

He should make the declaration and test the water but he might not win.

With an agreement it's over and resolved in hours but with the declaration it's weeks, if not months until you get an answer from the court.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow, I just can't see Pelosi stopping OUR PRESIDENT from giving his SOTU address where ever it might be given from. I feel sure that there is a PLAN A, B, C, and maybe D at this point.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Just a simple question: Does nasty have to "invite" the president to deliver the state of the union speech in the House?

I think it would be hilarious if Trump delivered the State of the union address from Ft. Bragg, or some other large base where combat troops are stationed.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why does Pelosi have any say in the SOTU address?
Can't we just ignore her and do it anyway?

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
She has no say in the actual address, she can only deny the use of the House by preventing a resolution calling the House to session and allowing the President to speak. She CANNOT cancel the SOTU. All of the headlines about her "cancelling" it are just click bait.

Trump can still give the address from anywhere he pleases. I prefer the Oval Office. The camera on him and him only, no booing, no democrats interrupting, just him and his message.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Just a simple question: Does nasty have to "invite" the president to deliver the state of the union speech in the House?

I think it would be hilarious if Trump delivered the State of the union address from Ft. Bragg, or some other large base where combat troops are stationed.

The process of having POTUS come to the House for the SOTU is done with both the House and the Senate passing a resolution that extends an invitation for POTUS to come. POTUS can't unilaterally decide (executive v. legislative) he's coming. Nothing in the Constitution says the SOTU must be given as a speech or even in front of Congress. Nancy is saying she won't bring that resolution up for consideration.

All he has to do is inform them of the state of the union. He can do it in writing in peanut butter if he wants. He can send email. He can do it on the 18th hole on one of his golf courses in a speech. There's no time requirement either other than annually but tradition says usually in the last couple of weeks of Jan or the first week of Feb.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Why does Pelosi have any say in the SOTU address?
Can't we just ignore her and do it anyway?

It's a good question.

Normally... it is a formality. A 'concurrent resolution' authorizing the President’s State of the Union address in the House Chamber is passed, without opposition, by both houses of Congress.

But... Nancy has thrown a monkey wrench in the 'normal' way this is handled:

"I am writing to inform you that the House of Representatives will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the President’s State of the Union address in the House Chamber until government has opened," Pelosi continued.

However, Trump COULD convene both Houses, or either of them,... :

Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution:

"He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them , and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper"

At this point, I would do it on the Senate side just to spite her.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
She has no say in the actual address, she can only deny the use of the House by preventing a resolution calling the House to session and allowing the President to speak. She CANNOT cancel the SOTU. All of the headlines about her "cancelling" it are just click bait.

Trump can still give the address from anywhere he pleases. I prefer the Oval Office. The camera on him and him only, no booing, no democrats interrupting, just him and his message.
Technically, giving a speech anywhere except to the joint membership of the House and Senate somewhere would probably not be considered a SOTU address. The "information" must be delivered to the Congress, and some of them might not be able to attend elsewhere. The requirements of the Constitution have not been met until Congress has been informed. Traditionally in recent times, this has been accomplished by a joint assembly of the House and Senate (in the House chambers) at which the President delivers a speech. Many years ago it was done by simply delivering a letter to the different bodies, to be read aloud or duplicated and distributed. In any case, until a means of putting the information into the hands of Congress has occurred, a SOTU has not happened.

The Constitution does not require that this information be delivered to the populace--only to Congress. Delivering a speech outside the Capitol Building would probably not qualify, although I'm sure the public would enjoy it (assuming the MSM would cover it).

If Speaker Pelosi refuses to invite the President to address the combined Congress for a SOTU speech, I think President Trump should just send notarized copies of his information to Speaker Pelosi and Sen. McConnell and tell them to read it to their members. Whether (and how) he wants to speak to the public is up to the President.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post