SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump clearly has the Constitional authority to do this which was even given to him by Congress, and now they try to stop him. They should change the law if they don't want Presidents to use the power that they gave him.

Clearly? What do you mean it was given to him by Congress.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Trump clearly has the Constitional authority to do this which was even given to him by Congress, and now they try to stop him. They should change the law if they don't want Presidents to use the power that they gave him.

Clearly? What do you mean it was given to him by Congress.

I'm talking about the The National Emergencies Act enacted by Congress in 1976 that gives the Executive certain powers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
It bothers the crap out of me that 12 Republican senators who never took action against any previous declaration of an emergency by any other president, suddenly decided to screw Trump on his signature issue and hand the Democrats another talking point. You can bet that Rubio is going to hear from me.

What are the names of the twelve who voted against the emergency declaration?

The usual suspests with few few shockers!
Mitt Romney

Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, has had a complicated relationship with Trump, whom he publicly criticized during the 2016 election. Trump endorsed Romney's race for Senate last year to fill the seat left open by the retirement of Orrin Hatch.

"I agree that a physical barrier is urgently needed," Romney said. "I am seriously concerned that overreach by the executive branch is an invitation to further expansion and abuse by future presidents."
Lamar Alexander

Alexander had urged Trump for weeks to find a way to access unspent money without taking the controversial step of declaring a national emergency. Though he appeared to be leaning against Trump on the issue, he did not announced his position until just before the vote.

"I support the president on border security," Alexander said. But, he said, the emergency "is inconsistent with the U.S. Constitution that I swore an oath to support."
Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., at a news conference on Capitol

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., at a news conference on Capitol Hill on May 17, 2016. (Photo: Jacquelyn Martin, AP)
Roy Blunt

Of the dozen Republican "yes" votes, six serve on the Senate Appropriations Committee, the panel tasked with deciding how taxpayer money is spent. Members on the committee, many of whom have a reputation for bipartisan deal making, arguably had the most to lose from relinquishing spending authority to the president.

Sen. Blunt, R-Mo., was one of the appropriations members who opposed Trump.

“I think it sets a dangerous precedent and I hope he doesn’t do it,” Blunt told reporters earlier this year.
Rand Paul

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., had voiced objections to the emergency declaration earlier this month. Paul said that approving the declaration would be tantamount to giving “extra-Constitutional powers to the president” – something he said he’s unwilling to do.
Mike Lee
Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah (Photo: AP)

White House officials scrambled behind the scenes to limit defections. A last-ditch effort by Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, to ease some GOP concerns about presidential emergencies collapsed after the White House rejected it. Lee's proposal would have terminated some presidential emergencies after 30 days unless Congress affirmatively voted to reauthorize them.

After the talks fell through, Lee announced he would support the resolution.
Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, is pictured on Capitol Hill June 20, 2017.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, is pictured on Capitol Hill June 20, 2017. (Photo: J. Scott Applewhite, AP)
Rob Portman

Portman announced his position in a speech on the Senate floor, arguing that future president could use another national emergency to tear down Trump's wall. Administration officials had lobbied for Portman's vote. The senator told reporters in late February he attended a meeting with Pence and Justice Department officials to discuss the president's emergency.

"It doesn't mean the president can ignore Congress and substitute his will for the will of the people," Portman said.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski is surrounded by members of the

Sen. Lisa Murkowski is surrounded by members of the media on Capitol Hill on July 13, 2017. (Photo: Alex Wong, Getty Images)
Lisa Murkowski

Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska was one of the relatively early opponents of the emergency declaration. Murkowski does not face re-election until 2022, giving her some additional political cover to oppose a president who remains popular within the GOP.

"My concern is really about the institution of the Congress," Murkowski said recently. "The power of the purse rests with the Congress."
Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) walking into the Senate Chambers before the Senate voted to reject a pair of dueling bills Thursday to fund the federal government and end the longest partial government shutdown in history.

Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) walking into the Senate Chambers before the Senate voted to reject a pair of dueling bills Thursday to fund the federal government and end the longest partial government shutdown in history. (Photo: Jack Gruber, USA TODAY)
Susan Collins

Among the Senate's most outspoken centrist Republicans, Susan Collins of Maine was an early opponent of Trump's use of an emergency to free up funding for the wall. She was also not swayed by efforts made by some of her GOP colleagues to build support for Trump with a proposal that would have limited the president's emergency powers in the future.

That effort, she said, "does not address the current problem that we have, where the president, in my judgment, is usurping Congressional authority to appropriate funds.”
Jerry Moran

Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kansas, took the unusual step of announcing his decision to oppose Trump by tweeting a photograph of a handwritten statement, including with edit marks.

"The president can advance the building of a wall with the funding just approved by Congress," Moran wrote on a legal pad, referring to the recently passed legislation that reopened federal agencies after the historic 35-day government shutdown. "The declaration of an emergency is not necessary."
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., speaks to reporters following a closed briefing on intelligence matters on Capitol Hill on Dec. 4, 2018 in Washington.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., speaks to reporters following a closed briefing on intelligence matters on Capitol Hill on Dec. 4, 2018 in Washington. (Photo: Zach Gibson, Getty Images)
Marco Rubio

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., had expressed reservations about Trump's use of an emergency declaration as far back as last month. The onetime presidential candidate and Trump foe has been an on-again, off-again support of Trump's policies.

“We have a crisis at our southern border, but no crisis justifies violating the Constitution,” the state's senior senator said last month. "A future president may use this exact same tactic to impose the Green New Deal."
U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania speaks to supporters

U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania speaks to supporters following his election victory Nov. 8 in Breinigsville, Pa. (Photo: Jeff Swensen, Getty Images)
Pat Toomey

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., had voiced concern about Trump’s emergency declaration, but didn’t announce he would vote to block it until Thursday.

Toomey, who kept a careful distance from Trump when he ran for re-election in 2016, told Pennsylvania reporters that he supported the president’s underlying goal. But he said he feared Trump’s declaration would pave the way for a future Democratic president issuing a national emergency to combat climate change.
Roger Wicker

Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., was among more than a dozen Republican senators who tried to gain support for a bill that would limit presidential emergency declarations. Wicker, who was re-elected to a third term last year, had urged Trump not to declare an emergency, arguing the administration could have pulled money from elsewhere.

“I think there are reprogramming opportunities for him outside of [an] emergency,” said Wicker, known as a defender of Senate traditions.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Sadle NOT ONE of these spineless Jelly fish objected to Obama's Emergency Orders....
Including Paul Lee and Rubio.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Haha his thoughts on Beto, "He has a lot of hand movement. Is he crazy or is that just the way he acts?”

Maybe he’s doing his own sign language interpretation of his own BS?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this.

“The U.S. Treasury will work to shield President Donald Trump from a congressional request to see his tax returns, protecting his privacy just like it would for any taxpayer, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Thursday.
……
Mnuchin told lawmakers on the House Ways and Means Committee on Thursday he has met with legal experts at the Treasury to discuss the expected request from Democrats.

'We will protect the president as we would protect any individual taxpayer under their rights,' Mnuchin said at a House hearing.
He said he would not speculate on a specific strategy for handling a request from lawmakers because he has not yet received one…”

https://mol.im/a/6809175

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Glad to see this.

“The U.S. Treasury will work to shield President Donald Trump from a congressional request to see his tax returns, protecting his privacy just like it would for any taxpayer, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Thursday.

I really don't get this Democrat obsession with Trump's taxes. Do they really think they are going to find something in there to burn him with?

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I really don't get this Democrat obsession with Trump's taxes. Do they really think they are going to find something in there to burn him with?

I know, its not like he is going to have a line item for anything illicit. all they want to do is have something else they can twist.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lamar Alexander

Thanks for your service. Now go away. Roll Eyes At least new senator Blackburn didn't vote against.

(I meant to quote Alexander's statement but put up Romney's instead. I suppose that's a distinction without a difference.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
"I agree that a physical barrier is urgently needed," Romney said. "I am seriously concerned that overreach by the executive branch is an invitation to further expansion and abuse by future presidents."
Lamar Alexander

Thanks for your service. Now go away. Roll Eyes At least new senator Blackburn didn't vote against.

With everything the left is doing they seriously expect us to believe they are that naive?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
More winning! Zippy would’ve been gung-ho for this…

“WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States will revoke or deny visas to International Criminal Court personnel who attempt to investigate or prosecute alleged abuses committed by U.S. forces in Afghanistan or elsewhere and may do the same with those who try to take action against Israel, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.

Pompeo, making good on a threat delivered last September by national security adviser John Bolton, said the U.S. had already moved against some employees of The Hague-based court, but declined to say how many or what cases they may have been investigating.

“We are determined to protect the American and allied military and civilian personnel from living in fear of unjust prosecution for actions taken to defend our great nation,” Pompeo said.

He said any wrongdoing committed by American personnel would be dealt with in U.S. military and criminal courts…”

https://apnews.com/08e538e370914f6e8243e237dbde50b5

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
VETO!

right answer

didn't the Senate and the House see that one coming?

as for tax returns, I'd be much more interested in seeing the tax returns of politicians that become multi-millionaires on salaries of $180,000 a year rather than the tax return of a multi-billionaire that became a politician and donates his salary every quarter...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I'd love to see all 12 of them replaced.

Exactly, but in order to do that though you need good primary opponents.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
VETO!

right answer

didn't the Senate and the House see that one coming?
I'm sure that they did. And they also knew that there would not be the votes (2/3 of each house) to override one. That gave the antsy Republicans a way to vote "for" the resolution (against the Emergency) knowing that it wouldn't become law.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I really don't get this Democrat obsession with Trump's taxes.

They know where their skeletons are hidden so they figure everyone does it.........

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not quite sure what prompted this tweet, but it gave me a little chuckle.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And another thing-

I am sick and tired of hearing about Kellyanne Conway's Goddamned husband. I don't know who he is. I dont know what he does, nor do I care. I just want him to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO AWAY FOREVER.

Sick of it. I am sick and tired of hearing about this loudmouthed Trump hater. Go fuck yourself, loudmouth. Kellyanne, get your pissy little bitch of a husband under control.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are some constants in this life, and one of them is that Hank Johnson has been, is and shall continue to be a blithering idiot. For those of you who aren't aware, theis is the rocket surgeon who was concenred that the island of Guam might tip over. No, it's not a joke. He actually said this and it's part of the Congressional Record.

Well, here he is, being a drooling moron once again.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Goddang!! THANK YOU, Mr. Sensenberger!! JHC!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post