SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The language, issued the same day as Trump requested investigation of Democrats in a conversation with Ukraine's president, authorized continued work to decide on how to spend the aid.
I believe the words used in that message did not specifically refer to the Democrats, but simply requested that the Ukraine government investigate what took place.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you have another case of Trump playing 3-D chess while the other side is playing checkers, and badly at that. The “footnote” referred to in that densely-worded report referenced above would indicate that the Trump administration had prior concern about corrupt elements within the Ukraine. The “footnote” was designed to give the administration time to do their homework and make sure they weren’t inadvertently bankrolling the illicit channels ferrying graft to the likes of Bursima, and the Bidens, Franklin Templeton Investments, and thence to the DNC. No doubt with some of the funds allocated to acquiring more quality intel like the Steele dossier — the rest going directly the the personal enrichment of all of those crooked bastards.
The Senate shouldn’t merely vote to dismiss the impeachment charges as having no concrete basis, they should declare the accusations to be “malicious and seditious” (everyone like how that one rolls off of the tongue?), and launch an investigation of their own that exposes this sham, and results in perp walks for all the bad actors involved.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Clinton leak exposes Democrats' double standard on impeachment

https://www.washingtontimes.co...ken-summit-exposes-/

Democrats, in their drive toward impeachment, charge that President Trump withheld U.S. aid to Ukraine until Kyiv agreed to launch an investigation into potential corruption involving former Vice President Joseph R. Biden and to conduct an inquiry into Ukrainian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

But there was a much earlier — and more blatant — episode, this time with a Democratic president demanding a clear quid pro quo from a desperate foreign leader.

In the spring of 1996, President Clinton was seeking reelection when he met in Egypt with Boris Yeltsin, Russia’s first post-Soviet leader who was also facing a tough reelection battle.

A leaked memorandum of the conversation obtained by The Washington Times found that Mr. Clinton pressured the Russian leader by offering U.S. political support for Mr. Yeltsin’s reelection — with just one catch: Russia first had to lift a ban on U.S. chicken imports, imposed over concerns that the poultry was tainted with bad bacteria.

“This is a big issue, especially since about 40% of U.S. poultry is produced in Arkansas,” Mr. Clinton told the Russian leader in Sharm el-Sheikh. “An effort should be made to keep such things from getting out of hand.”

Mr. Clinton did not mention that most of that Arkansas chicken was produced by Tyson Foods Inc., whose chairman, Don Tyson, was a close friend and political supporter. Mr. Tyson owned the $4 billion company, which was the world’s leading chicken processor.

Mr. Yeltsin agreed to the request. He told the president: “A leader of international stature such as President Clinton should support Russia, and that meant supporting Boris Yeltsin. Thought should be given to how to do that wisely.”

Double standard

Critics say the differing responses to Mr. Clinton’s and Mr. Trump’s presidential horse trading show a double standard by current House Democratic leaders.

“The idea that the very act of negotiating would be impeachable requires such a complete lack of historic knowledge that it is a little hard to believe that even [House intelligence committee Chairman Adam B.] Schiff thinks it is real,” said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican. “We are watching a pretext for a predetermined outcome.”

The chicken dispute was later made part of talks between then-Vice President Al Gore and then-Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin. Days after the March 13, 1996, presidential meeting, Mr. Gore announced that Russia had lifted the chicken ban.

The meeting came to be known in Washington circles as the “Chicken Summit” and highlighted for critics how Mr. Clinton was willing to play fast and loose with policy with a major foreign power to boost the market for tainted chicken exports for one of his longtime political donors.

But the leak of the confidential memorandum to this reporter prompted no impeachment inquiry by Congress, as occurred after the recent telephone call between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Instead, the Clinton White House ordered the FBI to investigate the leak of the confidential memo and denied the president had gone to bat for a longtime friend and political supporter and his chicken business.

Mike McCurry, the White House press secretary at the time, did not deny the exchange, but he said it was “inaccurate” to assert that Mr. Clinton promised to shade U.S. policies toward Russia in exchange for lifting the chicken import ban.

Strobe Talbott, a deputy secretary of state under Mr. Clinton, argued in a 2002 book that The Washington Times scoop offered a “distorted and damaging story” about the exchange between the presidents.

“While Clinton was indeed advancing American commercial interests and doing so on behalf of a company in his home state, the notion that he either intended or implied a threat of withholding support for Yeltsin if Russia didn’t ease the import restrictions was nonsense,” Mr. Talbott wrote.

Stonewalling Congress

In another parallel to current events, the Clinton White House and Congress sparred furiously over the investigation itself.

Three powerful Republicans on Capitol Hill, including House Judiciary Committee Chairman Henry Hyde and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman William Clinger, sought to investigate the reports of chicken diplomacy. Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, denounced what he called the president’s use of diplomacy “to serve anyone’s reelection campaign.”

But the congressional inquiry was hampered by the failure of the White House to provide documents — similar to impeachment charges that Mr. Trump obstructed the Democrats’ inquiry.

The Russian government demanded that the U.S. government halt what a spokesman said were “provocative” leaks of private discussions.

Mr. Tyson had been a close Clinton friend for more than 10 years and provided private jet travel and other perks when Mr. Clinton was governor of Arkansas from 1979 to 1981 and again from 1983 to 1992. He told The Washington Post that he and his associates made no secret of thousands of dollars in political donations to Clinton election campaigns.

Andrew McCarthy, a former federal prosecutor, said the Clinton-Yeltsin exchange is similar to Mr. Trump’s case.

“It goes to show that virtually all foreign exchange involves quid pro quo, and presidents typically conduct policy with an eye on politics,” Mr. McCarthy said. “It further demonstrates that today’s pearl-clutching about foreign interference in elections conveniently omits various instances of meddling in other countries’ elections by American presidents and members of Congress.”

Mr. Clinton was impeached in 1998 — not for the Chicken Summit offer but for perjury and obstruction of justice regarding a sex scandal. He was not convicted in the Senate.

Mr. Trump’s defenders also point to a March 2012 incident when President Obama was heard on a hot mic telling Russian President Dmitry Medvedev he could shift U.S. policy in a direction more favorable to Moscow if he won a second term that November.

“This is my last election,” Mr. Obama told Mr. Medvedev. “After my election, I’ll have more flexibility.”

The “flexibility” was a reference to Russia’s demands to limit U.S. missile defenses, specifically plans to deploy anti-missile interceptors in Europe that Moscow regarded as threats to Russian offensive missile forces.

“That certainly was a lot bigger promise than anything Trump has done in Ukraine,” Mr. Gingrich said.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering when Nellie Ohr's HAM/shortwave radio license is going to come back into play. That is one thing that has been sticking with me, and there is some reference to HAM licenses in a building used by a contractor.

Someone on Twitter, Nick Weil, seems to have some info that may pan some nuggets, or it may not pan out at all.

DOD Contractor mentioned by Peter Strzok

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
I am wondering when Nellie Ohr's HAM/shortwave radio license is going to come back into play. That is one thing that has been sticking with me, and there is some reference to HAM licenses in a building used by a contractor.

Someone on Twitter, Nick Weil, seems to have some info that may pan some nuggets, or it may not pan out at all.

DOD Contractor mentioned by Peter Strzok

I've been wondering the same thing. This story need some more looking into.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Whooo Matty Gaetz dropping Biden bombs!

“Hunter Biden, the guy who was caught with crack etc, who bought crack in a homeless encampments...he’s the guy chosen by Burisma?”

In other news: Johnson from Georgia is either retarded or on crack himself.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Left is going apeshit today after this tweet went out:
Big Grin

quote:

Trump War Room (Text TRUMP to 88022)

@TrumpWarRoom
When it comes to keeping his promises, there's only one Person Of The Year:

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm dropping this here as it happen under Trump.
Hopefully Imran Awan managing House Dems CyberSecurity comes home to roost on Paul Ryan, as he allowed the coverup.
2 minutes

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7qPV3_ZGFc

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
This happened

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

YUUUUGE!!!

He has failed to keep a major campaign promise though...I'm not tired of the winning! Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Democrats 'loathe' Trump because they'll 'lose to him': Rep. McCarthy

Dec. 11, 2019 - 7:54 - Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) discusses the partisan divide in Congress and the reported bias displayed in the Horowitz report.

https://video.foxbusiness.com/...636001#sp=show-clips

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
^^^^

YUUUUGE!!!

He has failed to keep a major campaign promise though...I'm not tired of the winning! Big Grin

His second term isn’t over yet. There’s still time. Smile

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The language, issued the same day as Trump requested investigation of Democrats in a conversation with Ukraine's president, authorized continued work to decide on how to spend the aid.
I believe the words used in that message did not specifically refer to the Democrats, but simply requested that the Ukraine government investigate what took place.

flashguy

Yes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure anymore that Pelosi really has the votes to make this impeachment go through and I think she'll postpone it at the last second as people get busy with the December holiday season.

Impeachment Ringleaders Quietly Panic As Moderate Democrats Bail

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I keep hearing about how wiley and crafty a politician is Pelosi. No, she's not. She's just not. Just look at the position she has put herself in. She could have shut down this idiotic shit long ago, but she allowed it to proceed, knowing full well that President Trump will not be removed from office because there is no way that impeachment will succeed in the Senate (every Democrat Senator, along with nineteen Republican Senators could vote for impeachment, and Donald Trump would still survive.)

Friedrich Nietzsche called people like the Washington Democrats and the DNC "epileptics of the concept"- they've been seized upon by an idea which has driven them mad- stark-raving, shit-eating, howling at the moon mad, and they have fucked themselves, thoroughly; if impeachment fails, they'll look like total ass clowns and will suffer the consequences of attempting to impeach a POTUS for entirely partisan reasons; if they succeed in impeaching Donald Trump, there will be a Senate trial, and the Dems don't control the Senate and cannot pull the same shit they pulled in the House. It will be a disaster for them and it will fail and they will pay for their nonstop tantrum in November of next year.

You can't impeach a POTUS who is responsible for the best economy in more than half a century, over a phone call. So, oh, yeah, ol' Nancy is sooooo fucking smart and crafty. I am sooooooo impressed by her brilliant maneuvering.

Democrats are children, nothing but petulant, whining children.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
"That woman is crazy. I mean BAT-SHIT crazy. I swear she sleeps upside down"

-Dennis Miller

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, I keep hearing about how wiley and crafty a politician is Pelosi. No, she's not.

There's exactly nothing about that woman that screams "intelligent" or "coherent." Her cheese? It has long since slipped off her cracker. My 99 year old grandmother who turns 100 in February is mentally sharper and makes more sense.

Pelosi is far from being some political grand-master or gamesman. The notion is comical.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
People are confusing smart/crafty with controlling. They say, "she's never lost a vote on the House floor."

There are two problems with this idea:

1) Never loosing a vote doesn't make you smart, it makes you controlling and manipulative. Kim Jong-Un has never lost a vote either, but I'm pretty sure my dog has more sense than him.

2) My first boss out of law school said, if a litigator finishes his career and says he never lost a trial, he was a wussy and only took easy cases.

I'm trying hard not to underestimate her, but I tend to agree with Para.

Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
The Dems are so used to the MSM carrying their water for them, they really don't even try that hard anymore. This impeachment process is a great example with all the bombshell testimony and proof that never really lived up to the hype. The problem is that the MSM has really over played their hand, the Dem talking points are obvious and tiresome. Nobody is listening anymore. In fact even the left is tuning out in droves.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I loathe her(Pelosi) and respect her at the same time. She has successfully hung on to significant power for a long time and she has to be smart or have smart handlers to keep her in that position for so long. Having said that I detest her because .....well....I can't really say what I really think about her on a public forum.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Report This Post