SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Tomorrow morning, President Trump will step outside, see his shadow, and go back into the White House for six more years.

Huge belly laugh! THanks

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Tomorrow morning, President Trump will step outside, see his shadow, and go back into the White House for six more years.

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^I'm with V-Tail on that wish, hope it turns out to be the truth.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
President Trump could not have been served up a better plate of craziness by these stupid Democrats just in time for the SOTU:

-Calls to eliminate private health insurance, with a "oh well, tough shit" type attitude by the person pitching it
-Calls to tax "the rich" at 70% - 90% and promises to go after people's wealth anywhere in the world with a "you can't hide from us" attitude from the person pitching it
-Legalized infanticide, talking even about POST-BIRTH abortion
-Continued efforts to block wall funding and leave our borders unsecured
-Abolition of ICE

Did I miss anything else that Trump can make the case that he's the reasonable one and these Democrats are a bunch of wild-eyed lunatics?

I sure hope he POUNDS THE SHIT out of them next week!

I’d be surprised if he talks about this stuff at the SOTU address. But he won’t waste anytime doing so afterwards.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
^^^^^^
The 'climate change' farce is now being hailed as 'Extreme Weather'!

What a freaking freak-show!!

Climate change is not farce. I wish people would stop repeating these crazy, unfounded theories, like vaccines cause autism, climate change is not real, and we did not visit the moon.

Just read the report from our own White House. Here's a link, authored by people who are more well-educated in the area than nearly everyone.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news...l-climate-assessment

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am willing to accept that Climate Change is occurring; however, I am not willing to agree that Mankind is causing it (and therefore cannot do much to alleviate it). The Earth and the Sun have been going through cycles for the last several billion years, and we didn't have a hand in it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I am willing to accept that Climate Change is occurring; however, I am not willing to agree that Mankind is causing it (and therefore cannot do much to alleviate it). The Earth and the Sun have been going through cycles for the last several billion years, and we didn't have a hand in it.

flashguy

Fortunately, your opinion does not change the facts.

I may "believe" ot "think" I am the best, fastest, most accurate shooter in the world. That does not make it true, because actual data disputes my "belief."

According to the White House report, which is a non-biased, non-political, report: "Human activities continue to significantly affect Earth’s climate by altering factors that change its radiative balance."

What expertise and scientific knowledge do you have to refute theactual well-founded science, logic, and factual data?

Of course the temperature has historically waxed and waned; but the EVIDENCE is humans are demonstrably having an impact in accelerating it past its tipping point.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
6 billion people on the earth with an average skin temperature of 90*F is warming the earth and with all the gas passing of methane we produce more green house gas than do the cows the tree huggers were moaning about recently.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Report This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
The Discover magazine a couple of years ago was the source for my statement about the skin temperature. Something to think about...

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Climate change is not farce. I wish people would stop repeating these crazy, unfounded theories, like vaccines cause autism, climate change is not real, and we did not visit the moon.

I did perform a slight disservice to you by omitting the reply that you were replying to and perhaps I am just in a pissy mood tonight although listening to this hippy "The Beatles" music, but why ever would you juxtapose such unrelated controversies into the Trump Presidency topic?

Specifically, I live in a valley carved out by glaciers that began melting 15,000 years ago. There was 5,000 feet of ice above my property then. You can't attribute such warming to the Industrial Revolution, President Trump or humans in general.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Was it NOAA that finally got caught placing weather stations in hot parking lots and rooftops?

Or was that a different corrupt organization?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Fortunately, your opinion does not change the facts.

I may "believe" ot "think" I am the best, fastest, most accurate shooter in the world. That does not make it true, because actual data disputes my "belief."

According to the White House report, which is a non-biased, non-political, report: "Human activities continue to significantly affect Earth’s climate by altering factors that change its radiative balance."

What expertise and scientific knowledge do you have to refute theactual well-founded science, logic, and factual data?

Of course the temperature has historically waxed and waned; but the EVIDENCE is humans are demonstrably having an impact in accelerating it past its tipping point.

Next your going to go on about how we only have 12 years to live if we don’t do “something”. It’s the “tipping point” hysteria that gets on my nerves.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys, if you want to discuss "climate change", then start a thread about it. Let's move on, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
60s song fans will recognize the Tommy James' tune Mony Mony. 80s song fans may remember the Billy Idol remake. Anyway this is a good watch/listen:

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good article from a different perspective.

I was a “Never Trumper” in 2016. Here’s why I’ll vote Trump in 2020.

The idea of a Libertarian voting for Trump in 2016 perplexed me. In hindsight, it still does.
After all, then candidate Trump endorsed Single Payer Healthcare on an episode of 60 Minutes. In his book The America We Deserve, Trump endorsed “Assault Rifle” bans and extended waiting periods for other firearms. I was opposed to his campaign centerpiece of building a wall on the southern border. In fact, I still am.
I was largely opposed to ramping up deportations, especially if it was against someone who had never committed a crime. However, I am pleased that deportations under the Trump administration for the last two years were well under the yearly average during the Obama Administration.
Before we continue, yes I am absolutely aware that I am writing this for The Libertarian Republic. No, this is not a candidate endorsement from The Libertarian Republic. My views likely aren’t shared by all of our writers. I also wouldn’t be surprised if one of our writers pens a rebuttal. Perhaps even a rap battle will ensue.
The Libertarian Party has found itself in disarray after their presumptive nominee, former Republican Governor Bill Weld appears to be returning to the Republican Party to launch a Primary challenge against Trump. It’s very possible that much like the Gary Johnson 2012 campaign, Bill Weld will seek the Libertarian nomination when the Republican Primary doesn’t work out. However, he would not be on the ballot in states with Sore Loser Laws.
The other high profile candidate for the Libertarian Party is John McAfee, who came in third during the 2016 Primary. He currently claims to be hiding on a boat in exile, stating that he is hiding from the Federal Government who wants to arrest him for Crypto Currency crimes. At least on the open water he can pursue his stated hobby of attempting to have sex with whales.
Gary Johnson, the most successful Libertarian Presidential Candidate to date, was far from a perfect Libertarian candidate. He advocated for a Fair Tax, which flies in the face of the Taxation Is Theft slogan. While this was a consumption tax as opposed to an income tax, it had a whopping 23% rate across the board. Any advocate for this system who argues against tariffs is being disingenuous.
Johnson also once famously stated during a 2016 Primary Debate that a Jewish Baker should be forced to bake a Nazi cake. This even falls outside of the protected class argument, as Nazis are not a protected class.

So the real difference between Trump and the Libertarian nominee really boils down to how far you want to shift the goal posts. To me, all I care about is that the needle moves closer towards Libertarianism, as we’ll never have a Libertarian society overnight.
While someday in the future a Libertarian candidate may win, the Libertarian Party needs to play the role of spoiler at some point in their growth. That didn’t happen in the last election (despite what Democrats tell you) and I sure don’t want that happening in this particular one.
Of course, many Democrats held Gary Johnson responsible for Trump’s win, blaming everyone and everything but themselves and their candidate. They refuse to consider for a moment that Hillary Clinton lost due to losing states she didn’t campaign in, which she had assumed she would win (The Blue Wall).
The Democratic base, who apparently hasn’t learned any lessons, is seemingly dusting off their mantra of “vote for us, you pieces of shit.”
We’ll dunk on the Dems more a little bit later. First, I want to point to some things that the Trump Administration has accomplished that moves the needle closer to Libertarianism.
The Trump Administration Killed Net Neutrality
A free and open internet requires the government having little to no control over it. Since Net Neutrality was abolished, the internet has flourished at an astonishing rate. Access to high speed internet has grown as well as speeds themselves.
Investors Business Daily reports:
“A year later, none of the horror stories came true. In fact, average internet speeds climbed by roughly a third last year. The number of homes with access to fiber internet jumped 23% last year, according to the Fiber Broadband Association.”
No Internet Service Provider has charged premiums for using a specific service, nor have they throttled specific services. Netflix once claimed they were being throttled by providers, but it turned out the slowdown was from their own traffic transit provider, Cogent. Netflix was simply trying to pass their operating costs to all internet users, rather than just Netflix subscribers.
With 5G on the horizon with multiple carriers, the government needs to sit back and let market competition do it’s magic.
The Trump Administration Killed The individual Mandate
With the Individual Mandate gone, you’re no longer penalized for not having, or not being able to afford health insurance.
The idea of being fined for not engaging in a form of commerce is ludicrous. People tried to liken this concept to vehicle insurance. However, you don’t need vehicle insurance if you don’t own a vehicle or drive. The Individual Mandate fined you for not having health insurance, even if you were healthy and never needed to seek medical care.
The healthcare industry still has a long way to go to be a competitive free market system, but removing the individual mandate removed a financial burden on people it should have never been placed upon.
There is renewed hope for another push towards shifting the healthcare industry into market competition. On December 3rd 2018, the Department of Health and Human Services published a memo called “Reforming America’s Healthcare System Through Choice and Competition.”
It delivers recommendations to subject the Healthcare Industry to the market in a mission to bring down the cost of healthcare into the realm of affordability. This is much more preferable than the previous model that focused on who would pay for everyone’s rising costs, rather than reversing those rising costs.
Criminal Justice Reform
President Trump signed the First Step Act into law, and hopefully there will be more steps to follow. This is indeed though, a very good first step.
It eased Mandatory Minimums and allows Judges more discretion in sentencing where the mandatory minimum sentence may be too harsh for the crime that was actually committed. Mandatory Minimums have been a large point of contention in the criminal justice system, and this act was endorsed by The ACLU and the Koch Brothers.
This act also works retroactively, and thousands of people who have already been sentenced will have their sentences reduced. This is a major win for people who committed nonviolent crimes yet received a disproportionate sentence.
Tax Reform
The tax reform signed by the Trump Administration did put money back into the hands of the people.
A number of businesses either raised their wages or handed out employee bonuses, or a combination of the two.
Even if your employer did not raise your wages, there’s a good chance you saved on your utility bills as utility companies passed these savings back to the consumer in the form of reduced rates.
Of course, the impact on you directly will vary by your income and other factors. I already filed for my return. I have a family of five who live on my single income. I’m much happier after filing this year than I was last year. That I can tell you.
Middle East Troop Withdrawal
The troop withdrawal out of Syria began in January, despite a bill in Congress to attempt to stall the withdrawal. The bill also aims to stall troop movement out of South Korea.
The announcement that Trump was planning to pull out of Syria and greatly reduce our military footprint in Afghanistan prompted former Secretary of Defense James Mattis to resign. The resignation came as a disappointment to the Libertarian community who had more or less favored Mattis as SoS, but also favored the withdrawal.
Reducing our foreign intervention is a step towards eliminating it. This would mark the first time such a step has been taken since 9/11, where the needle is now moving back in our direction.
Regulations Have Been Slashed And Slowed
On January 30th 2017, shortly after inauguration, President Trump signed Executive Order 13771 which mandated that 2 regulations needed to be dropped for every new regulation added.
While at this point the cut regulations have had minimal impact (as the most inconsequential regulations are the first to go), this has had a positive impact in drastically minimizing the approval of new regulations.
Politico reports:
“According to a POLITICO analysis, the White House’s regulatory office has approved just 156 regulations since Inauguration Day, a huge drop compared with the Obama and Bush administrations: The office approved 510 rules in Barack Obama’s first year. For George W. Bush, it was 445.”
Time To Dunk On The Dems
Trump Derangement Syndrome is very real. In fact, some seem to be allied with the likes of John Bolton for the very sake of opposing Trump.
Imagine being so blinded by nothing other than contempt for President Trump that you suddenly become vocally Pro War for the sake of handing him an L.
Also imagine you don’t even know anything about the resolution you’re touting, as shown in the above Tweets. It doesn’t matter, because you owned Trump and nothing will convince you otherwise, even if you are completely wrong.
It’s reminiscent of the infamous MAGA Kids at the March For Life event in Washington DC, who were the victims of a deceptively cropped video. Even after the full video was released and the claims against the kids were completely debunked, the Left is still hanging on to this false narrative for dear life. It hurts their credibility by being wrong about this after the outrage they ran with, so they’ve gaslit themselves into believing it.
Eric July from Backwordz breaks it down:

But what do facts matter when you can elect ideal Progressive candidates like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who are hip, passionate, but monumentally fact impaired? Facts be damned and emotion ruling all appeared to be the standard bearing qualities of the left in the 2018 Midterms.
This is what they’re looking for in 2020 too. It’s also getting worse by the day.
The Democrats are hitting the nuclear button on the abortion issue. In New York a law was passed allowing abortion up until the point of labor (even though a baby can be viably delivered in the third trimester). Governor Andrew Cuomo who signed the bill is currently under threat of Excommunication by the Catholic Church.
Not to be outdone, Democrats in Virginia are proposing legislation which allows abortion during labor, where once again, delivery would be the only medically safe option.
I’ve been present during three deliveries. I’ve never gone into labor myself, because men can’t have babies. Sorry, not sorry. But I can certainly tell you as an observer, who has witnessed pain I couldn’t possibly begin to understand, a decision like this can’t be coherently made during labor, especially when it changes nothing about labor as delivery is still the only option once you’re in labor.
The Left’s argument on abortion has traditionally hinged on viability. As advancements in science and technology in modern medicine has made babies viable earlier, the Left has abandoned science altogether and is pushing for babies to be allowed to die after being delivered full term.
It was never about science. That facade sailed when it no longer favored them. They’ve shown their real color, which is gray.

The Left has gone absolutely insane, and whoever they nominate will reflect this. Perhaps some of their sanity will be restored in the 2024 election when Trump isn’t up for re-election. One can hope. As far as 2020 goes, keeping Trump in office is the logical safeguard, as everything about the Left in 2020 will be absolute cancer.

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Good article.

I am hopeful that President Trump announces a significant withdrawal from Afghanistan. It’s time to leave, and no one else has the balls to say the truth: “it won’t get any better out there. This is as good as we can accomplish. Time to go.”

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a very good article.

Absolutely time to leave Afghanistan. I believe we have in fact accomplished as much as we can hope there and have already paid too dear a price for what we have gotten in return.

It’s time bring our troops home, begin to secure our own border, and fix the many problems we have here at home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And when we leave Afghanistan, blow up everything we built.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
And when we leave Afghanistan, blow up everything we built.

We shoulda been MOABing everything since we got there...frankly the country should be a gravel pit by now...and the kingdom of Saud shoulda been glass on 9-12.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post