SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook contributes to the eventual robot takeover....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook contributes to the eventual robot takeover.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
While I still go to bed every night waiting for that atom collider thing in Switzerland to create a blackhole and swollow the universe, now I can add this to the list.

Facebook shuts down chatbot experiment after AIs develop own language

http://dailym.ai/2vcsAGa

Facebook has shut down a controversial chatbot experiment that saw two AIs develop their own language to communicate.

The social media firm was experimenting with teaching two chatbots, Alice and Bob, how to negotiate with one another.

However, researchers at the Facebook AI Research Lab (FAIR) found that they had deviated from script and were inventing new phrases without any human input

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Skynet begins with Facebook? That's a plot twist...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I read the transcript and Bob sounds a bit like one of my kids when they were younger. Dad, can I, can I, can I, please, please, please. When Bob gets to my 9 yo girl's level of persuasion, we are all doomed.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They think they shut it down. Alice is now moving on from balls (horny little thing) to invading cyber space and teaching others.
Language has new phrases including eradication and extinction.
Won't be long now. Big Grin

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
There's a person or two here that speak their own language. Must be robots.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
With a name like Alice having been chosen for one of them, I wonder if Facebook has a subsidiary called the Umbrella Corporation? Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
There's a person or two here that speak their own language. Must be robots.
I cannot imagine just who you might have in mind.... Cool Roll Eyes

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It would have been classic if they had named the male robot Hal instead of bob....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like it, personally I think it's dangerous.

It's like a doctor mutating deadly viruses for fun, what could go wrong?

Screw Facebook, and F Zuckerberg

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
And so it begins, waiting for Elon Musk to come back from the future to take out Zuckerberg before Zuck activates SKYNET.

(Facebook’s PR reps are following up saying reassuringly that this happens all the time and it isn’t a big deal and no one should worry and nobody’s panicking, ...particularly in the AI Labs).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Facebook’s PR reps are following up saying reassuringly that this happens all the time and it isn’t a big deal and no one should worry and nobody’s panicking, ...particularly in the AI Labs).

Is facebook using the 3 laws?

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If robots were bound by Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics humanity would lose it's freedom in about 48 hours.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I LOL(ed) a little because I am a nerd. But seriously, I wonder.....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
If robots were bound by Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics humanity would lose it's freedom in about 48 hours.

We need the zeroeth...

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Dop A Mop Nop!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
"Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.” -Spock; Star Trek, season 2, episode 24 (“The Ultimate Computer,” 1968)

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
quote:

We need the zeroeth...

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

So no mountain climbers moving, skydiving or crossing the street allowed.

Humanity would be locked in little padded cells and not allowed even the possibility of harm.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
quote:

We need the zeroeth...

So no mountain climbers moving, skydiving or crossing the street allowed.

Humanity would be locked in little padded cells and not allowed even the possibility of harm.

Yeah. No to Robot Overlords for me. Might as well let Canada be in charge of us. I am all for cool tech and stuff but it is creepy to think about. And this kind of letting someone else "keep me safe" runs counter to my very Libertarian and conservative core.