SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone to IPad sync
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone to IPad sync Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Wife just got her first IPhone (11.1) and can't seem to sync to her IPad (11.1).
She mainly wants calendar days to sync. Any suggestions?

Also, she was offered 3 months free "Apple Music" but we don't quite understand the offer. Is there normally a monthly fee. Looks like it. This tech stuff is not easy.

Thanks
I need Apple for Dummies

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Also, she was offered 3 months free "Apple Music" but we don't quite understand the offer. Is there normally a monthly fee. Looks like it. This tech stuff is not easy.

Apple Music is $10/month after your free trial. I find it a bargain, as it has a huge selection of the more offbeat music I like (not this modern rip-rap or metal). Something like 4.5 million songs and albums. You can create and curate your own radio stations, or just pick any artist and access all of their albums. Your Apple Music subscription is available on any Apple device that can play music (Macs, iPhones, iPads, Homepod, iPod Touch, etc).

Though I am definitely not a fan of cloud storage in general, especially for my data (for that I use off-site backups in my safe deposit box). One never knows who has (or might in the future have) access to it in the cloud. Also, the availability of it when you really need it comes into question, being subject to the provider's availability due to server problems, being hacked, Internet access, etc.

That being said, I don't mind storing a few things in iCloud that I really don't care if anyone gets hold of. I use iCloud for for my Safari bookmarks, Reminders, and Calendar. In your case, perhaps iCloud is your solution. As long as you put stuff there using the same AppleID, you have access to it on any device that is logged into iCloud with the same ID. If necessary, you can create an ID for the both of you to use, if you want. If it's just for her use with her ID, she just uses her same ID on all devices to access iCloud. If it is in iCloud, and both/all devices are logged into iCloud, it automatically syncs that info on those devices. When I add a new bookmark or Contact on my desktop Mac, it appears on my MBP and iPhone within seconds. It is nice to set up a new Apple device and have instant access to your Contacts, bookmarks, etc. You can also do your Photos that way, too, but I don't use the Apple Photos app.

I also back up stuff I store in iCloud separately on my local hard drive in case I mess up and it needs to be restored. Just a bit of personal paranoia and obsession. That also goes offsite on the data drive.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Your wife should have an Apple ID and password, which is the key to syncing the two device.
In settings, go to Accounts and Passwords, then iCloud. ICloud is the online storage site for all Apple devices. There you can click on which apps you want to sync (Calendar, eMail, Notes, Photos, etc.). If you have problems, go to an Apple store if one is available and they will help you.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post