SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a good dry rub recipe for pork without sugar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good dry rub recipe for pork without sugar? Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted
We've been cutting pretty much all sugar out of our diet and I've been craving some good pulled pork.

If you have a dry rub recipe without sugar, can you share it with me?

Thanks!

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this as well.

I typically make my own rubs and I have picked up Stevia to try it as a substitute for dark brown and white sugar in my pork rubs. However, I have not done it yet.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
2 tbsp chili powder (chipotle)
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fine pepper

There’s also a relish I make to go with the meat, as well as a sauce. I have never had a complaint yet...

Relish:
2tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp oil
2 large onions cut into 1/4” slices
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fine pepper
2 Fresno peppers (jalapeños can be subbed)
1 large green chili (hatch if available, or ancho)
2tbsp red wine vinegar (any vinegar will work)
2 tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro
Heat butter and oil (med heat), throw in onions. Cook until onions are caramelized. 30-40 min.
Slice peppers thin 1/16” and mix with all other ingredients.
When onions are done, add onions to all other ingredients and stir to heat the others. You don’t want to add heat and cook the peppers. They should still be fresh, crunchy and warm.

Sauce:
1/2 cup Dijon
1/4 cup molasses
6 tbsp horseradish
4 tbsp honey
2-3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fine pepper
Whisk together in bowl and allow to sit at room temp for the day. Whisk again before serving.

I usually lay down a bed of relish, slices of meat on top with a drizzle of sauce.

Please bear in mind that all quantities are approximate. I don’t use measuring spoons/cups. That said, the measurements I gave are pretty damn accurate. Your tongue should be the final test. If you like it different, alter it to your taste buds.

I also cook low sodium. It’s just the way I grew up.

Mix, rub, grill.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Splenda in a pinch when I ran out of brown sugar and it was OK.

The amount of sugar you would be eating from a rub is pretty minimal though. I eat Paleo a lot and have done keto etc. I don't worry about the sugar in a rub.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All my homemade rub recipes have a little bit of sugar. But my go-to premade rub is Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and it's sugar free:

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Byr...ing-26/dp/B00258I5PM

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. The sugar makes up such a small portion of the rub (<20%) and one batch can make multiple butts or 3-4 racks of ribs. Then it's cooked and much is left in the bottom of the smoker with drippings. Then you don't eat the entire rack or butt, only a tiny fraction of it. So the sugar may not be as important as you think. Also you could try mine or any others with out the sugar or halfing it.

Skins2881 Famous Rib Rub:

2 Table Spoons:

• Salt (1 sea 1 table)
• Brown Sugar

1 Table Spoons:

• Cumin
• Paprika
• Garlic Powder
• Onion Powder
• Chili Powder
• Fresh Ground Pepper (Fresh is key part)

2 Tea Spoons:

• Oregano

1 Tea Spoon:

• Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tea Spoon:

• Celery Seed
• Mustard Powder

##Mustard powder needs to be adjusted depending on if you are coating your butt with mustard before rubbing. No mustard rub, increase, heavy mustard rub, decrease or leave out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
All my homemade rub recipes have a little bit of sugar. But my go-to premade rub is Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and it's sugar free:

^^^^This^^^^ Our Walmart carries it

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Pardon me, OP, this is not sugar free, but I think it’s pretty low, and the others might like this. Tatortodd this is local to you.

Check out Grub Rub.

I use it a LOT. Beef, pork, chicken, fish, it’s good on everything. I’ve been buying it for at least 10 years.

It does have sugar but the calorie count is reasonable. I use just enough to get a good covering, not an excessive amount.

I buy it at Academy in the outdoor cooking department where all the seasonings are shelved.

The 13 ounce jar is about $6, the 52 ounce is $19.99.

Made in Katy Texas, Grub Rub Link

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Pardon me, OP, this is not sugar free, but I think it’s pretty low, and the others might like this. Tatortodd this is local to you.

Check out Grub Rub.

I use it a LOT. Beef, pork, chicken, fish, it’s good on everything. I’ve been buying it for at least 10 years.

It does have sugar but the calorie count is reasonable. I use just enough to get a good covering, not an excessive amount.

I buy it at Academy in the outdoor cooking department where all the seasonings are shelved.

The 13 ounce jar is about $6, the 52 ounce is $19.99.

Made in Katy Texas, Grub Rub Link

Try it!

Interesting, it has papaya in it. How does the tenderizer do with long cooks?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Thx. I placed an order and look forward to it.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Thx, but the ingredient listed first is sugar which means it has more sugar than anything else in it.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just use equal heapings of

salt
cracked peppercorns (the multi colored ones)
onion powder
garlic powder
smoked paprika
mustard powder

This is Marzy's keep it simple stupid rub.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with Famous Dave Rib Rub, but it does list sugar.....yet it is only 5 calories per serving. The best "over the counter" rub I have found yet.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I am full time clean healthy keto. A little sugar in your rub won’t hurt anybody ... Cool

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Here's mine. The sugar makes up such a small portion of the rub (<20%) and one batch can make multiple butts or 3-4 racks of ribs. Then it's cooked and much is left in the bottom of the smoker with drippings. Then you don't eat the entire rack or butt, only a tiny fraction of it. So the sugar may not be as important as you think. Also you could try mine or any others with out the sugar or halfing it.

Skins2881 Famous Rib Rub:

2 Table Spoons:

• Salt (1 sea 1 table)
• Brown Sugar

1 Table Spoons:

• Cumin
• Paprika
• Garlic Powder
• Onion Powder
• Chili Powder
• Fresh Ground Pepper (Fresh is key part)

2 Tea Spoons:

• Oregano

1 Tea Spoon:

• Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tea Spoon:

• Celery Seed
• Mustard Powder

##Mustard powder needs to be adjusted depending on if you are coating your butt with mustard before rubbing. No mustard rub, increase, heavy mustard rub, decrease or leave out.

I can vouch for Skins' rub. We tried it on ribs and liked it a lot! Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Looks like I've got a few to try.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do a dry rub as many others here. If you're looking to try something different with just a little sweetness, slow cook it in 1 part red wine vinegar and 2 parts honey, over a bed of sliced onions, until fall apart tender. We do this in our crock pot for about 6 hours for pork shoulder and it's delicious. We also sear the meat in a little olive oil and deglaze the pan into the onions.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My Costco carries Butt Rub which is what we use for our sugar free rub.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I word of caution about Bad Byron's Butt Rub. It's just for large cuts of meat, butts, shoulders, etc. It's way too salty for something like ribs.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pork butt's I use copius amounts of Webers garlic and herb seasoning and honestly it seasons the pork butts really really well. I've tried a bunch of other rubs and they're simply way too salty or sweet.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post