SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ferrari Fans and Owners, a moment of your time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ferrari Fans and Owners, a moment of your time Login/Join 
posted
Curious about those of you who work on or own Ferraris:

The older ones, 348s, 355s, and 456s, specifically.

Anyone have ideas about maintenance and up keep costs? I am sure they are substantial, just seeing if anyone has concrete ideas?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
More than you can afford pal...

Ferrari!!

Sorry had to. Razz

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
See the link. 14K miles 37K in costs, excluding purchase.

F 348 ownership costs

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, one of our members has a 308.
nhtagmember, maybe?

My neighbor at my old house has a 348 Spider & a 355 Spider F1 in his garage, but I never broached the maintenance costs part with him.

Not sure how they are to work on, but IIRC, a lot of major maintenance is 'engine out' work.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the care and feeding of a 246 Dino Confused

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
308/328 (and Mondial 8/QV/3.2) all are "engine in" belt/majors.

348 and up (and Mondial 3.4) are engine out.

328 is considered to be the most reliable of the 70s/80s Ferraris.

I own a Mondial 3.2 and formerly owned a 308GTSi QV.

Purchase price is "entry" to play, ownership is expensive. You can do some of the work yourself if your mechanically inclined. I can do SOME things, just don't have the time to mess with it anymore.

FerrariChat dot COM is the best resource, learned a LOT. They changed the website format, so I have no idea how to search and find some of the old threads on how to do this and that.

For the 308/328, they once had a thread of cheap versus "Fcar" prices, things like bosch inventory numbers and equivalents.

308/328 prices have jumped considerably, but might be backing down a bit.

The best advice is to buy the "best car you can afford". And be very cautious about garage queens. Sometimes, they have been neglected and the seals and stuff have dried out.

348 - only 30 more HP but higher RPMs and better sound!

355 - had issues with headers and valve guides (oil blowby)

456 - SLEEPER!!! cost dropped but has risen but WOW, v12 for "next to nothing" in Ferrari terms

Mondial - "red headed step child"... affordable but heavier and 2+2 is not nearly as desirable

BTW, there is a 308GT4, the predecessor of the 3x8 series, once considered a "dino", sort of the 914 of the Porsche realm. Lots of them are rusted and misused, but survivors have also skyrocketed.

As far as costs, the 308/328 costs $2500 or $3000 for the belt service (every 15000 miles). 348/355 are upwards of 6000.

355 headers and valve guides put it upwards of $20k for repair.

348s are not as desirable for their "Testarossa" rakes, but still nice cars. A F40 owner here in CO (used to have a 328) once said he had the opportunity to buy a nice 348 but liked the feel of the 328 better).

OEM Spark plug wires are $600 or more, spark plug extenders are $40 each (need 8).

GREAT mechanics nationwide if you live in a metro. Dave Helms (308/328 in CO) and a few others in CO. Rifledriver (name?) is I think on the east coast, someone else on the west coast.

I want to take mine to Dave's when I can, but hate to think of the check I'll have to write.

Email me for my phone number if you want to chat more, or log on to FChat.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
See the link. 14K miles 37K in costs, excluding purchase.

F 348 ownership costs

3 things...

First, that's a Series Speciale. Not that THAT matters on maintenance, but it's a rarer car. More like a trackable car for the street. (different tail lights give that car away even if the article didn't state it).

Second, that article, while the repair prices still hold true most likely, was written in 2013. Just after 2013, prices jumped. I doubt he's upside down in the car now. Prices jumped even for the 348s.

Lastly.. per the article: "That would jack up my total ownership cost to $57,026, or $3.96 per mile.".... well, yeah, but I can tell you the smiles per mile are well worth it.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to keep my Ferrari ownership limited to the shares of stock I got when it was spun off from FIAT/Chrysler.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask...

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here is an article for a year in a 360
https://www.google.com/amp/s/j...-year-1669923931/amp

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask a Ferrari ain't for you. Do yourself a favor and buy a 1000cc superbike. They are superior to ferraris. Seven figure Supercar killing performance for Hyundai price tags.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is a reason the old saying goes.

"Ferrari owners brag about how few miles are on their cars while Porsche owners brag about how many they put on theirs"

Ferrari maintenance is no joke.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, I've owned two

I had an 88 328GTS - absolute blast to drive, block shift and easy on maintenance

other than a slight premium for insurance, it wasn't difficult to work on - standard 8 cylinder engine with just about everything easily accessible

major downsides to this car was the fact that a lot of parts were becoming really scarce or unobtainable

for example, the AC vent louver is unavailable, the headlight lift motor is unavailable, the emergency blinker light switch on the console was unobtainable

its an old car - and it was waiting for one to wreck to sell off as parts if you needed stuff - the usual sources were mostly dry

my current car is a 1999 355F1 Spyder

substantially more expensive to own and operate - but far more comfortable to drive for an extended time as it was designed to be more of a touring car

biggest mechanical issue is that the timing belt is not a chain and has a life of 15,000 miles or 10 years

the engine needs to be removed from the car to change the belt, and while its out you might as well overhaul the water pump, tensioner pulleys, the AC compressor, replace the hoses etc...

40 hours remove and replace the engine, plus about 12 - 15 hours for the work - the average belt change can run about $10,000

oil changes cost about $300 in POL's plus labor

more parts are available than on the 328, however the transmission is a bear to work on with paddle shifters, the ECU's can be a real bear to work on, the catalytic converters are known failures (I had my entire system rebuilt with aftermarket cats, had new pipes fabricated) and that ran about $3k.

The roof retraction mechanism was a Rube Goldberg system so I had it removed - rather than 5 minutes of motion - now takes about 20 seconds manually.

In short, buying the Ferrari is the admission price to the club, and depending on how you drive your car and want to maintain it, it can run $2500 - $5000 a year to do it right.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I'm happy to keep my Ferrari ownership limited to the shares of stock I got when it was spun off from FIAT/Chrysler.

Me too. But I picked up some When they went public almost a double in about 2 years.

My best friends dad had a Dino growing up. It was 74 if I recall 2+2 when your 8 you don't care if it's heavy or 2+2. It's just an amazing car.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
There's a guy who is chronicling his Ferrari ownership on YouTube....Daniel Hurlbert. Worth a look, quite interesting.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have ideas about maintenance and up keep costs?

I think if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one of the things to remember about the cars is that most buyers and owners know a great deal about the car before they buy one, and there are two kinds of Ferrari's available

one that has been maintained with Ferrari parts and one that has been maintained with using aftermarket parts

sometimes the aftermarket part is a desirable item - particularly cats and air filters given the mortality rate of the Ferrari part

most owners - myself included - keep a meticulous log of all of the maintenance done - down to part numbers of items and that goes with the car and is helpful in justifying a higher price if warranted

I would never, ever, ever buy a used Ferrari off of eBay or Craigslist

if you're thinking about buying one, there are lots of great places that are reputable dealers

I picked up both of my cars (and sold my 328) through Sport Auto in Summerfield, NC. Steve Barney is (the owner) a very experienced Ferrari judge - he does all the high end concours shows - he's been at it for more than 30 years.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Ferrari chat is a great source.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
one of the things to remember about the cars is that most buyers and owners know a great deal about the car before they buy one, and there are two kinds of Ferrari's available

one that has been maintained with Ferrari parts and one that has been maintained with using aftermarket parts

sometimes the aftermarket part is a desirable item - particularly cats and air filters given the mortality rate of the Ferrari part

most owners - myself included - keep a meticulous log of all of the maintenance done - down to part numbers of items and that goes with the car and is helpful in justifying a higher price if warranted

I would never, ever, ever buy a used Ferrari off of eBay or Craigslist

if you're thinking about buying one, there are lots of great places that are reputable dealers

I picked up both of my cars (and sold my 328) through Sport Auto in Summerfield, NC. Steve Barney is (the owner) a very experienced Ferrari judge - he does all the high end concours shows - he's been at it for more than 30 years.

Small world. I used to live near his shop. Even raced a black 355 in my VR-4.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'll just say Audi R8/10.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post