SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Short term housing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short term housing? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I've got a friend that just sold his old house but needs more time to get the mortgage approved on his new purchase. So basically he and his 3 kids will be homeless as of Sunday afternoon.

What are some reasonable short term options? Specifically around Hoover, AL. I've heard of some executive suites but can't seem to find any online.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could check and see if there are any extended stay America places in his area. Another option would be renting a vacation rental house by the week or month on VRBO or Air B+B.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you don’t have room?
Any particular reason they did not plan for such things having 3 kids and all?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
10+ years ago, I used to use furnished corporate housing apartments for short-term rentals (Not familiar with this website, but looks similar to what I used to use) when my employer moved me. However, extended stay hotels really took off and are more cost competitive, flexible, and less hidden fees.

Marriott Residence Inn, Marriott Springhill Suites, etc. are the extended stay hotels in the Marriott family but Hilton has them too. Don't go too cheap though or your friend could end up in meth / crack / hooker central.
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You could check and see if there are any extended stay America places in his area.
Extended Stay America was meth / hooker central in Anchorage and is my only experience with the chain. I was scheduled to stay there for a month, but moved out after a week and slept on an air mattress in my unfurnished home for 3 weeks until my furniture arrived from Houston.

I'm not familiar with it in Hoover, AL.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
air bnb?

VRBO?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Buy or rent an RV, set it up in an RV park. Most dealers will deliver to the RV park for free.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Rent the house he's moving into while the mortgage gets approved.

Or Rent the house he just sold back from the buyer.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
1994, I arrived Hoover AL to work at the BellSouth Data Center. I stayed at a month-to-month furnished apartment in the area until I found other housing.

That was almost 25 years ago, I don't remember the name, but the rental was through a management company. I found it in the local phone book. Do phone books even exist any more?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rent the house he's moving into while the mortgage gets approved.

Or Rent the house he just sold back from the buyer.

Seller should be motivated to let him do that.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Has he tried Google yet. Just cut & paste the thread title and add Hoover, Al.

Something helpful should show up.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
THIS Sunday? What great planning. Getting his stuff somewhere is likely to be as much an issue as somewhere to sleep.

I'd recommend using PODS or similar, move everything well packed into one of those and have it stored until he needs to unload. Work great, but make sure to get size that he can fill well.

Suggestions above are going to be his only options on short notice and likely not cheap.

I bet you $20 he asks for help moving stuff. If so, bet you another $20 everything isn't in a box if his planning is this piss poor.....

To the comments about seller being motivated, it may be exactly the opposite. I'd never let someone move in until financing is finalized for the risk of becoming a landlord to a squatter. That assumes it's empty as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Any chance of doing a rent back in his current house he's moving out of.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
To the comments about seller being motivated, it may be exactly the opposite. I'd never let someone move in until financing is finalized for the risk of becoming a landlord to a squatter. That assumes it's empty as well.
My employer moves me every few years and I've had people pull this on me. Best I've done is pass along my cost of extended stay hotel plus daily property tax plus daily property insurance plus lawyer looking over agreement.

Other times, I've flat out said no. When I moved from the Upper Midwest to SoCal the people I bought from went on a 3 week vacation and didn't tell their realtor or leave a way to communicate. I watched everything get loaded on a moving truck, flew across the country with pets and a few bags, and was living in a furnished apartment. When the dumbasses came back from vacation they tried to rent the place they were selling from me, but I had everything lined up to move in (i.e. movers scheduled, short term rental ending, utilities changing names, insurance starting, etc) and I just plain said no. If they had said something before going incommunicado before going on a 3 week vacation I would've said yes with terms like paragraph 1.

If you want something put it in the sale contract. It gets a lot more expensive afterward.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post