SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coffee - Looking for decent cup of coffee - Post up your choices
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee - Looking for decent cup of coffee - Post up your choices Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
It's taken a while but I've come to the conclusion water really does make a difference. The coffe itself is important of course. I handle several different lines, so I know the source of the coffee up front.

I spend a lot of time in the back of convenience stores. It's not a coincidence that the stores with pretty good coffee have water treatment filters.

I've also concluded I like lighter roast, it's the coffee bean flavors not the roast flavors I've been looking for. I didn't know I was trading one for the other.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've searched and searched for good coffee. I like the same type as the OP. I've tried numerous high end coffees in the $18-$22/lb range and not really been overly happy with much.

I've switched to Trader Joes Italian or French Roast. They run about $13/lb. I buy whole bean and use a French Press. It's better than most. I don't have a Trader Joes close to me and dealing with the hippies is annoying. But I still trek there for coffee.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I dragged my Technivorm into the basement after fifteen years of service. I'm still hip on filter brewed coffee, but I make it one cup at a time. A plastic cone-over-cup device, inexpensive brown filters, and dark roasted ground coffee. Sometimes I'll preheat the cup.

One really good cup is all I get in the morning. Maybe a second. After that, it loses its appeal.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“”We’ve been buying a coffee called San Francisco Bay Gourmet - French Roast, from Costco. Like others, we prefer a bold, dark roast coffee.“”

Yep, we’ve discovered that as well, very good and a nice change from the usual. Stout, just the way we like it.
Also a BRCC member, great coffee!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For my Isomac Zaffiro espresso machine:
--Lavazza (Italy) Espresso Creama e Gusto
--Josuma (Menlo Park) Malabar Gold
--Red Bird (Montana) Espresso

For drip or pour over:
--(various sources) Costa Rica Tarrazu
--Essence of Coffee (Rapid City) Guatemala Santiago Atitlan
--Essence of Coffee (Rapid City) Ethiopia Yirgacheffe

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
https://www.blackriflecoffee.com

I like their "Murdered Out" and "AK-47" blends/roasts.

You beat me too it. Excellent coffee and a good cause. My everyday brew.

Another vote for Black Rifle Coffee. Good coffee and good company with a sense of humor about themselves. Check out some of their commercials on their Facebook page.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Community Coffee has a good Dark roast and French roast.

I don't drink coffee but I've made many gallons of it for my daddy in my life. We never had anything in our house other than Community Dark Roast. And it's from Baton Rouge you can smell them roasting it by the river sometimes

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
This.

Peet's MDB or Columbia Luminoso.

quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend or Big Bang. On the shelf at Publix.

Yup....Enjoying Peet's Major Dickason's Blend right now. Cool

We buy it in the 20 oz. bag at the local supermarket, and keep an eye out for sales at Target, etc so we can stock up when the price is right! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Hey, you’re local to me. There’s a cafe in Safety Harbor called Vino Tinto. They have their own Costa Rican farm and I’m really enjoying their stuff. The aroma is awesome. It fills your vehicle when you’re driving home with a bag. I have gone through 2 bags of their medium roast. They will grind it however you like. They grind it fine for me since I use the reusable K cup. Go try a bag for $10. I tried some of the Blind Tiger stuff in Ybor and this stuff blows that out.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have been liking this from a local roaster called Thousand Hills Coffee:

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Aldi German roast. The red stripe foil brick is the dark roast. $4.99 for a 17oz package, I bought 2 yesterday.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have a thread going right now on my roasts.
If you do the Book Face thing, you can take a look....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2020061434

I have two dingle bean origins right now.
Honduran and Sumatran

Or I can do a blend for a more complex profile....

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend or Big Bang. On the shelf at Publix.

That's one of my favorites and its pretty good through the Keurig also.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
PEETS Mjr. Dickinson

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We have these at work.

Really.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Our own Rainman's coffee is great. He goes by Wild Bill in the coffee world.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've tried so many different blends and brands of coffee my head hurts just thinking about it. Bottom line is I always keep going back to Folgers Colombian blend. Just keeps on giving me great tasting coffee.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy Tomoca Ethiopian on Amazon. I French press it in the morning. It’s the real thing from a place that knows coffee...

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
After using a percolator for more than a year, I switched to a Bonavita Metropolitan Coffee Maker. The same coffee as before is stronger, more full bodied, and less acidic.

I'm just curious what this coffee maker brings to the table that other drip style makers don't? I'm not opposed to buying one, just questioning what makes it better than the others.

Water seems to also be huge factor, ( Thanks smschulz ) for the tip on Third Wave Water, that is something that I will try for sure!!

From reading the reviews, key differences are that the water hitting the coffee is at a higher and carefully controlled temperature than most. It's also spread across the grounds evenly and the brew is finished quickly.

I do agree water makes a huge difference. Switching from tap water to reverse osmosis filtered water greatly improved all coffee and tea.

Posts: 2367 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post