SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will be testing the Jeep lifetime powertrain warranty**update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will be testing the Jeep lifetime powertrain warranty**update** Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted
I am bringing the Jeep into the the shop today. I suspect a head gasket. I hear bubbling in the heater core lines on cold startup. I also have lost coolant. I bought the 09 Jeep Rubicon new when the lifetime drivetrain warranty was part of the purchase. With 175,000 on the odometer this is the first issue I have had. I guess I will see how good this warranty really is. The wife has been pushing for a newer Wrangler, my argument was we have a lifetime drivetrain warranty if the engine goes they give us another. Wish me luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ozarkwoods,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Good Luck! It will be interesting to see what they say and do. Keep us advised.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the same warranty on my 2013 dart, will be intrested in this

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Head gasket is an engine issue.....drivetrain is from the PTO back.....no?
I suspect this is on your dime!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

I should have said power train not drivetrain

The powertrain limited warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a covered powertrain component – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® brand vehicles. Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm with your wife (on her side, not really with her). New Jeeps are fun. Swallow your pride, or what's left of it, and buy a new jeep. Sort of for her, even if you do get the fun.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Remember - FCA always has the option of cashing out and paying you FMV (according to them) for the vehicle. Kind of like how an insurance company can declare a car a total loss once the repair value exceeds the market value.

Not saying that will happen here, and I've been treated very well under FCA's warranties, but an '09 Rubi w/ 175K? Definitely interested to see how this plays out.

If the do offer you a check for FMV in lieu of repair you should take advantage of the opportunity and use it as a down payment on a new one. They're better now than they were then anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

I should have said power train not drivetrain

The powertrain limited warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a covered powertrain component – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® brand vehicles. Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).

I suspect they might define power train as the internally lubricated moving components which excludes gaskets. Auto makers also like to blame head gasket issues on overheating, i.e. potential negligence or abuse, also not covered.

I wish you luck, regardless.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Remember - FCA always has the option of cashing out and paying you FMV (according to them) for the vehicle. Kind of like how an insurance company can declare a car a total loss once the repair value exceeds the market value.

Not saying that will happen here, and I've been treated very well under FCA's warranties, but an '09 Rubi w/ 175K? Definitely interested to see how this plays out.

If the do offer you a check for FMV in lieu of repair you should take advantage of the opportunity and use it as a down payment on a new one. They're better now than they were then anyway.

-Rob

I understand that however even if they had to put in a new engine I can’t see that being more then $10,000 and my FMV even with the 175M mileage is well over that. Lol who knows we will definitely keep you all posted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I've got a 2009 Ram with the same warranty. Its got 96k miles on it now. It was a requirement for the warranty that I bring it in for an inspection at 60k miles. I've wondered if they would give me a hard time about any claims.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
subscribed.. waiting for more

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have to present documentation that all required maintenance was performed on the vehicle at the correct mileage by authorized service people? I was a high school shop teacher years ago and was approached by another teacher who said their Ford Fiesta oil light was on. We went to check it and I was reaching for the dipstick when he said "no, it's over here". The car had 17,000 miles on it and he had been checking the transmission stick. I drove it in my little shop and drained the oil. You could have put all of it in a coffee cup. It had never had an oil or filter change. As a company, how would you like to guarantee that for a million miles?

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 135,000 miles on it and a lifetime warranty through FCA. I have probably saved easily over $12,000+ in repair bills over the last 4 years. I'm not as fortunate as you in that my truck has been very unreliable but FCA and my Jeep dealer have always come though with the fix and I just hand over my $100 deductible. On a few occasions they have even waived the deductible for me.

I've never had to produce any proof of maintenance or anything and I do much of that myself. Just last week I had the Jeep there for a bad backup camera and they found a leaky steering rack I didn't not even know about. Replaced the Camera and the rack and pinion for my $100 deductible. The service manager said the whole job would have easily been over $2,500.

Over the years I have found the most important aspect of warranty claims and such is really just having a good relationship with your dealership, or having the sense to walk away from one that doesn't want that relationship if you can.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
To of my employees have Jeeps with the full lifetime warranty. Both have upwards of 200K miles and both have used the warranty extensively with zero issues. I'd guess both of them saved 10K each in covered repairs.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Do you have to present documentation that all required maintenance was performed on the vehicle at the correct mileage by authorized service people? I was a high school shop teacher years ago and was approached by another teacher who said their Ford Fiesta oil light was on. We went to check it and I was reaching for the dipstick when he said "no, it's over here". The car had 17,000 miles on it and he had been checking the transmission stick. I drove it in my little shop and drained the oil. You could have put all of it in a coffee cup. It had never had an oil or filter change. As a company, how would you like to guarantee that for a million miles?

They have not asked for any documentation as of yet but this is where having all of the receipts for oil and filters, full fluid changes transmission, transfer case and differentials tucked into an envelope can be advantageous.

I have religiously changed oil/filter every 4,000 miles Service intervals for oil and filter is 6,000.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add because some folks have talked around it, the lifetime wrap from FCA is good until the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the car. So to that extent at some point they will tell you it's over. How they value the car I could not tell you but I wanted to add that in for everyones benefit.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the lifetime warranty still a thing? If so, I could see maybe a new wrangler in my future. My last driver went 11 years, so...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Guy I know had a Charger with the lifetime warranty and they told him they couldn’t help him because they don’t make parts for his car anymore.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I've got a 2009 Ram with the same warranty. Its got 96k miles on it now. It was a requirement for the warranty that I bring it in for an inspection at 60k miles. I've wondered if they would give me a hard time about any claims.

Damn you are right they called me back and informed me that since I did not have a 5 year 60,000 mile inspection my warranty has expired!

Guess what my wife is not a happy camper right about now......

If you have this warranty guys make sure you have the inspection done.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Frown

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post