SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Putting Your Kids In Public Schools Is Now More Dangerous Than Ever
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Putting Your Kids In Public Schools Is Now More Dangerous Than Ever Login/Join 
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
So should anyone assume the public schools are good just because we hear from you?

So Should everyone assume all public schools are bad because YOU said so??

I work in a public school.. and it is very good. The biggest problems we have are kids that come in from other schools that we have to catch up to level. And behavior of kids that disrupt the learning of others, but have good lawyers that keep them from being removed.
For the most part learning happens and kids tat want to get smarter.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
And requiring people to pay the school tax when their children are privately educated is robbery, plain and simple.
and requiring people to pay school tax when they have zero school aged children is unjust. I have zero school aged children but 38.3% of my property tax goes to the school district. It's actually a well rated school district but you wouldn't know it by talking to the neighbors' honors students who cannot string together a coherent sentence.

The fed, state, and local bureacracy and teacher's unions are giant leeches on property taxes.

Many parents are just as much to blame as they treat school like subsidized day care.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
quote:
So should anyone assume the public schools are good just because we hear from you?

I work in a public school.. and it is very good. The biggest problems we have are kids that come in from other schools that we have to catch up to level. And behavior of kids that disrupt the learning of others, but have good lawyers that keep them from being removed.

This is an interesting issue. In view of the very substantial claims that very many graduate from high school lacking adequate basic academc skills, the oft heard answer is “not in our school.”

This is undoubtedly sincere, and in many cases accurate, but it is not true, and is actually unsatisfactory, in a great many other cases. Where are all those subpar graduates coming from?

Part of the problem, it seems to me, is the notion that all students must be treated equally. This seems like obvious nonsense, in that students are not equal in ability, ambition, interests, and other qualities that go into the profile the students are assumed to match, anymore than they all wear size 9 shoes.

Why not have a system where parents can chose what kind of education their child will be exposed to? Public school would never offer the variety because they are not market driven. Some want Rhodes Scholar pep. Some want NFL/NBA prep, some see their child as interested in mechanical trades, others as welfare layabouts. Why should it be one size fits all?

Give a voucher, let parents cash in at an outfit offering what they want for their child. Choice, liberty, freedom, efficiency.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that not every kid who gets out of school with a poor education is the result of the school. While my kids go to a great school there are kids in that school who stand little chance of being worth very much in this world. That’s not necessarily the schools fault. You only need to take one look at their parents to see where the problem is.

Like a lot of things of course these people, their parents and a whole host of others will put the blame on the system and not where it truly belongs. These are the cases you’ll hear about most because naturally people complain more than they praise. How many times have you heard someone complain about some service industry worker who couldn’t figure out the proper change and then lament the state of education? Plenty I’d imagine as I’ve read multiple threads on here about it and I’d guess you have too. But how many times do those same people mention the regular occurrence of having a cashier give them the correct change? I don’t think I’ve ever read a single comment about that even though that undoubtedly happens way more often.

I’ve heard horror stories of kids graduating with extremely poor reading skills. Those stories make us all cringe. But the same source you hear that from won’t say anything about the reading level of the other 99% of the kids. Frankly nobody cares when a bunch of kids graduate with good educations and go on to be successful adults. We only care about the ones we can bitch about.

I can only speak to the school system my kids go to and the one I went to, but in both cases they are great examples of the idea that you get out what you put in. For the kids who want to work hard and have good support at home they will get a solid education and leave school with a wide range of opportunities (my graduating class produced 14 lawyers that I know of). Those who don’t have the above will struggle in school and their education will likely reflect that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I've come to believe over time that if you have a 'good' public school in your area, regardless the level, it will eventually transition to mediocre and then to bad.

For sure. And any administration changes from year to year can make a huge difference too. A good principal can make a big difference. It is important to stay on top of what is going on in the school.

Though I would suggest it is important in both public and private schools. I see a lot of private school parents who have little to no involvement in their kids education. They think paying several thousand dollars a year is all they need to do and wash their hands of it.
Don't know how it works where you are, but local and state government are what kill schools here. Principals and staffs are all but irrelevant to the discussion when crap is force down on them. At my son's high school not enough students were passing Algebra II, so local government deemed the class be dropped from the curriculum so as not to impact state funding. Voila, problem solved. That is specifically why public schools are failing as a group, and there is little anyone can do about it.

As to your public private comparison, there is one key difference that will always make private a better option. If the private school fails its students, you have the option to leave. No such option in a public school where the students are locked into their districts.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Around here we have a “school of choice” option which allows you to move your kids to another school. I do think that it has to be in the same county and I know that there are limited slots at each school. We’ve never pursued that but we know several parents who have for various reasons and I’ve never heard of anyone being refused. I’m sure it’s happened but not to anyone I’ve talked to personally.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Private school is financial suicide. Find a public school system that that you find acceptable, and move there.

Just taking whatever school system that happens to be where you live, when it wasn't a consideration when you moved there? No.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
It’s no secret that private educated students are better educated and not indoctrinated like public school students.

I have not found this to be true at all. You do tend to buy a better peer group who have educational goals higher than most at private schools - but don’t believe the progressive leftist don’t indoctrinate students st private scholastic institutions.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would suggest that not every kid who gets out of school with a poor education is the result of the school. While my kids go to a great school there are kids in that school who stand little chance of being worth very much in this world. That’s not necessarily the schools fault. You only need to take one look at their parents to see where the problem is.

Like a lot of things of course these people, their parents and a whole host of others will put the blame on the system and not where it truly belongs. These are the cases you’ll hear about most because naturally people complain more than they praise. How many times have you heard someone complain about some service industry worker who couldn’t figure out the proper change and then lament the state of education? Plenty I’d imagine as I’ve read multiple threads on here about it and I’d guess you have too. But how many times do those same people mention the regular occurrence of having a cashier give them the correct change? I don’t think I’ve ever read a single comment about that even though that undoubtedly happens way more often.

I’ve heard horror stories of kids graduating with extremely poor reading skills. Those stories make us all cringe. But the same source you hear that from won’t say anything about the reading level of the other 99% of the kids. Frankly nobody cares when a bunch of kids graduate with good educations and go on to be successful adults. We only care about the ones we can bitch about.

I can only speak to the school system my kids go to and the one I went to, but in both cases they are great examples of the idea that you get out what you put in. For the kids who want to work hard and have good support at home they will get a solid education and leave school with a wide range of opportunities (my graduating class produced 14 lawyers that I know of). Those who don’t have the above will struggle in school and their education will likely reflect that.

Instead of trying to establish fault in individual cases, why not analyze the system and constituents to see what elements might be changed to better effect? It seems unlikely that in any individual instance, poor results are attributable to the student solely, the parents solely, or the teachers.

What good does it do to just throw up our hands and accept that the mediocre results we achieve, at ever greater expense, frustration and bitter disappointment, are just fate? Instead, look at what is being done, and see if there is a better way. I suspect the answer varies with which interest group is asked. The education establishment, teachers, unions, administrators, will be uniformly of the view that all the problems will be solved with a megadose of silver ointment applied continually, and then if the parents would get in line.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
quote:

This is an interesting issue. In view of the very substantial claims that very many graduate from high school lacking adequate basic academc skills, the oft heard answer is “not in our school.”

This is undoubtedly sincere, and in many cases accurate, but it is not true, and is actually unsatisfactory, in a great many other cases. Where are all those subpar graduates coming from?

Part of the problem, it seems to me, is the notion that all students must be treated equally. This seems like obvious nonsense, in that students are not equal in ability, ambition, interests, and other qualities that go into the profile the students are assumed to match, anymore than they all wear size 9 shoes.

Why not have a system where parents can chose what kind of education their child will be exposed to? Public school would never offer the variety because they are not market driven. Some want Rhodes Scholar pep. Some want NFL/NBA prep, some see their child as interested in mechanical trades, others as welfare layabouts. Why should it be one size fits all?

Give a voucher, let parents cash in at an outfit offering what they want for their child. Choice, liberty, freedom, efficiency.

The ability to customize the educational process for each student based on their unique personalities and learning styles is one of the main factors that drove us to homeschool. I don't dislike public school and I would love the public schools in America to be the best that they can possibly be, because the reality is that alternatives may not be available to every child or family. But public school will never, in my mind, be an efficient means of education. You can't take 25 kids with different abilities, ambitions, and personalities, put them all through the same process (that is generally geared toward the lower end of the spectrum), and expect to get the most out of each student. It doesn't matter how good the teacher is, there isn't enough hours in the day or leeway in the curriculum to customize for each student.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was pretty comfortable with the local public schools right up to when the kid made it to High School.
Then he was exposed all the things in our society you don't want your kid exposed to. And School Admin types seemed uncaring, bound by stupid policy or outright incompetent. Private / home school was not an option so we gutted it out.
The toughest part of child rearing for me was getting the kid through HS with his head on straight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Another BIG part of the equation is the home life & parenting. Not all public schools are terrible, schools have to work with what(who) is sent.

If the home life & parenting are in chaos, the child is already behind. It’s easy to blame the school, when the real answer is in the mirror.

We have done a fair bit of both, or Son is currently in 9th grade public, good school. Eventually a child is out in the world, no preventing that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if the public schools are good?

When we had kids we had to choose between having my wife stay at home with the kids and having them go to public schools or having my wife work and send them to private schools. We toured the local public and private options and felt very happy with the public school system so we choose to have her quit and stay at home so that she could help supplement any areas we felt they needed assistance in. My neighbors have kids the same age as ours and went the private school route which required both parents to work full time. Based on the outcome at grades 6 and 4 I am very happy with our choice.

Every parent should take their kids education seriously. And everyone should take the time to explore every option, including public schools. Anyone who assumes that their local public schools are bad simply because of what they have heard about other public school systems is an idiot.

Her in w.Central Ohio in rural areas most of the P.Schools rate an A by the State as how good they are. People here keep an eye on whats taught and the lessons, not much PC but only what their children will need in life. A local city (Lima Ohio) Public Schools are always getting an F.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we live in a conservative area, and my son stated that they watch CNN every day in High School. I am not pleased with that. He seems to be a leftie anyway. the other 4 don't seem to be lefties. the oldest complains about taxes and seems to get it.

I don't think the 2nd boy has been indoctrinated by watching CNN, but it does reinforce his inclination.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with schools is the parents.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local conditions matter.
I have put two daughters through public school here in Utah, and I am very happy with the results. I have also closely observed two nieces.
I support the right of school choice, but public school should also be a viable option.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know how it works where you are, but local and state government are what kill schools here. Principals and staffs are all but irrelevant to the discussion when crap is force down on them. At my son's high school not enough students were passing Algebra II, so local government deemed the class be dropped from the curriculum so as not to impact state funding.

As to your public private comparison, there is one key difference that will always make private a better option. If the private school fails its students, you have the option to leave.

Right on!

quote:

Right on!

Private schools are superior for the same reason that your local grocery store is superior to a government run commissary. You have more choice. Competition improves efficiency.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The public school system I graduated from was and is a pathetic joke. You can tell from my posts I’m just above knuckle dragging idiot but I graduated 13th of 160. There was very little effort on my part achieving that rank. If not for the pressure and guidance from family there’s no telling just how stupid I might have turned out. The kids I’ve encountered where I live now that are in the public system are barely literate. It’s just going to get worse.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:

We need a battle plan to make that happen!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
The public school system I graduated from was and is a pathetic joke. You can tell from my posts I’m just above knuckle dragging idiot but I graduated 13th of 160. There was very little effort on my part achieving that rank. If not for the pressure and guidance from family there’s no telling just how stupid I might have turned out. The kids I’ve encountered where I live now that are in the public system are barely literate. It’s just going to get worse.

Many of us ended up pretty well educated in spite of the limitations and failings of the school system we endured.

Some of the anomalies of this issue are that some attend great schools, do well, and are blithering idiots. Some attend great schools, do horribly and never the less end up among the most brilliant of their time. Others attend lousy schools and somehow manage to acquit themselves reasonably well and a few extraordinarily so.