SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Putting Your Kids In Public Schools Is Now More Dangerous Than Ever
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Putting Your Kids In Public Schools Is Now More Dangerous Than Ever Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Polls find the majority of U.S. parents don't want to put their kids in public schools, but most do anyway. A new book explains why they should stop, and here's a gameplan for achieving that.

This is a lengthy article from Federalist, by Joy Pullman, too lengthy and graph filled to make cut and paste feasible. Those interested in this issue and the conclusions which follow will enjoy perusing the entire essay found at the link.

Here is the call to action.

quote:
Here’s the Game Plan — Not Just for Parents, Either
1. If you have kids or plan to have kids, get your finances in order so you can fund your school choices. It’s not as hard as you might think, although it might require cutting cable, paying down your debt, or choosing a smaller mortgage. Helping your children flourish is absolutely worth it. You would do this for their physical health, wouldn’t you? Their spiritual and mental health is far more important. Your family spending should reflect that. Here are two good resources to get you on track.

2. If you have kids, pull them from public school and enroll them in something better. If there is nothing better, make something better, and get other families to help. If your only or preferred option is homeschooling, this and this are good, off-the-shelf and reliable places to start. Here’s another if you want to do more curricula selection yourself.

3. If you don’t have kids, help fund private education for a family you know or through your church. I would start with those closest to me — family members, close friends, church members — and work my way out.

4. If you are a religious lay or clerical leader, arrange for your church to publicly discuss why educating children in the faith deserves serious personal and institutional financial support. Perhaps start a book club to discuss these issues using Hasson and Farnan’s book. Make it standard that your church helps all member families attend private religious schools.

5. If there are no high-quality private schools in your area, and you have enough determination, collect several other parents and local leaders to discuss starting a new, high-quality religious school, either in the traditional full-day or one of the many hybrid models that can lower costs (all models have advantages and disadvantages — that’s something for local communities to decide).

6. Everyone should call his state representatives right now and demand bigger, better school choice programs. Here is an overview of what is already available in your state, but all existing programs have lots of room for improvement. You can get your lawmakers’ contact info right here.

7. Get on the emailing list for an in-state organization that supports private school choice and lobbies your state lawmakers on that issue. Respond when they issue calls to action or hold events. You can find those at the State Policy Network, or through state affiliates of the American Family Association, Heritage Action, Home School Legal Defense Association (homeschooling only, natch), and Americans for Prosperity.

8. If you are a lawmaker or work with them, propose this bill and work to get colleagues’ support. At the very least, force them to take votes on the record for or against it.

9. Federal policy makers, your role is to cut the U.S. Department of Education so local communities once again control their public schools. Federal school choice plans will only create a Death Star by which activists can nuke all private options by capturing one target. Here’s your gameplan.

10. If you are involved in local political or community organizations, propose that they hold an event about school choice, perhaps if fitting with a book talk about what’s inside Farnan and Hasson’s book. Have everyone, while at the event, email their representatives to demand they pass or expand school choice.

11. If you want to develop your ability to understand what comprises a good education and why, so you can make better education and political choices, start here with Hillsdale College’s free online class (scroll down): “A Proper Understanding of K-12 Education: Theory and Practice.”

12. Political campaigns, parties, and donors should make tangible, demonstrated support for genuine school choice a litmus test for candidates and a lack thereof a reason to primary incumbents.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
What if the public schools are good?

When we had kids we had to choose between having my wife stay at home with the kids and having them go to public schools or having my wife work and send them to private schools. We toured the local public and private options and felt very happy with the public school system so we choose to have her quit and stay at home so that she could help supplement any areas we felt they needed assistance in. My neighbors have kids the same age as ours and went the private school route which required both parents to work full time. Based on the outcome at grades 6 and 4 I am very happy with our choice.

Every parent should take their kids education seriously. And everyone should take the time to explore every option, including public schools. Anyone who assumes that their local public schools are bad simply because of what they have heard about other public school systems is an idiot.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

When we had kids we had to choose between having my wife stay at home with the kids and having them go to public schools or having my wife work and send them to private schools. We toured the local public and private options and felt very happy with the public school system so we choose to have her quit and stay at home so that she could help supplement any areas we felt they needed assistance in. My neighbors have kids the same age as ours and went the private school route which required both parents to work full time. Based on the outcome at grades 6 and 4 I am very happy with our choice.

Every parent should take their kids education seriously. And everyone should take the time to explore every option, including public schools. Anyone who assumes that their local public schools are bad simply because of what they have heard about other public school systems is an idiot.

So should anyone assume the public schools are good just because we hear from you?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

So should anyone assume the public schools are good just because we hear from you?

No. Did you miss this part?
quote:
And everyone should take the time to explore every option...

Exploring every option includes private schools and homeschooling as well as how funding either of those options will affect your life. It also includes looking at public schools. I never said all public schools are good. Some are not. But generalizing that everyone should pull their kids from public schools as the article does is nonsense.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I am going to address this from the article as well.

quote:
These numbers would surely plummet if more parents actually knew what was happening in their kids’s public schools.

To make it clear I am very aware of what is going on in the schools. Not having a job allowed my wife to volunteer at the kids schools since preschool. She has been an active member of the PTA and has spent a lot of time in the classrooms assisting in various tasks since the beginning. I too volunteer at the schools helping in classrooms and general activities in the school. Me and my wife are regular chaperones on field trips and work after school events. Starting last year my wife took a part time job at the school in the front office and still works there, though now my son moved up school. We are heavily involved in their education and communicate with the teachers and administrators.

The school day at the grade school starts out with the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem and a moment of silence to "pray or reflect on your day". This year they started playing Lee Greenwoods "Proud to be an American" every Friday. The elementary school around the corner is the home of a local church on Sundays.

The public schools in your area may be liberal communist indoctrination centers that sacrifice goats to the pagan gods every third Thursday but they aren't all that way. Anyone who immediately discounts their kids going to public schools without knowing anything about the local school is doing themselves and their children a disservice.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I doubt that anyone claims that all schools are ineffective. I also think it possible, even probable, that some individual students can come out of even a mediocre school system with above average, even adequate, scholastic skills.

If a parent is unsatisfied with the schools there is very little that can be done about it in the near term. Moving is not often feasible.

Too many are getting through schools illterate, or effectively so. Somewhere, there is a problem. Some of us suspect it is systemic fault and believe that different approach would improve results.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
More people are catching on.
Our boy’s private school had record number increase in students this year.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Many people place their kids in public schools because they can’t afford private schools. It’s no secret that private educated students are better educated and not indoctrinated like public school students.

And requiring people to pay the school tax when their children are privately educated is robbery, plain and simple.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Too many are getting through schools illterate, or effectively so. Somewhere, there is a problem. Some of us suspect it is systemic fault and believe that different approach would improve results.

I don’t disagree with you. I think it’s fair to say that most public school systems in this country have serious issues. But thinking there should be a different approach to education doesn’t always equal an individual pulling your kids out of public school as the article states.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My son was in private day care from 0-4. He went to public state funded pre-K.

He forgot more in that year than he learned the year before. Kindergarten we got in him a good private school. It's expensive to the tune of $10K a year. But the difference is astounding on what he is learning.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Our son is in a preshool program two days a week now and even there, at a church-run preschool, PC has run rampant.

Just the other night we were playing and I said, "let's sit here Indian style" and sat down.

My 3.5 year old son says "Daddy, we call that 'criss-cross applesauce' at school!"
Roll Eyes

Both our boys will be getting home schooled.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Having tried both, we're paying for private.

One of my greatest regrets as a parent is sending my kids to public school ever. Even the few years in elementary school. The money saved was not worth it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Both our boys will be getting home schooled.

We seriously considered home schooling. Private school would have meant my wife would have had to go back to work and we just were not comfortable dumping our kids into the care of someone else for 12 hours a day while we were both working, even a highly rated private school. My wife was ultimately uncomfortable with that option though even though she has a degree in elementary education. What we do is a hybrid of sorts. They go to public school and she spends at least an hour every day with them reviewing what they learned. We tend to try and supplement the curriculum by doing extra activities associated with what they are learning be it watching a movie or reading a book or visiting a museum or something. For us our extra involvement in their lives was more important than paying for private school. Though if our public school had not been as good we would have chosen a different route.

posted Hide Post
When I was a child, the choices available to my parents were public school or Catholic. They were pressured to put us through the Catholic school system, which back then was second-rate, and it was pretty-much a disaster.

I'm glad I decided not to have children, and had to make these decisions for them myself.

Anybody notice that Hillsdale College is buying ads on Fox News recently? I wish I could afford to donate.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The public schools in Central Florida fall into one of two groups. Group 1 = They suck. Group 2 = They're mediocre. There's one or two that 'might' be considered good on some level, but they're transitioning to Group 2.

I've come to believe over time that if you have a 'good' public school in your area, regardless the level, it will eventually transition to mediocre and then to bad. I've personally watched this happen to a local public elementary school. As that school's performance increased, it was deemed that too many minority kids were being excluded from it, so they redistricted the school and shipped in a bunch of minority kids. Now that school rests squarely in the middle of Group 1.

The ultimate solution to the educational problems we face in this country will not be found 'inside' the public school system.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
interesting how the rise of the 'snowflake generation' coincides with the rise in popularity of homeschooling / 'mainstream' private education

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I've come to believe over time that if you have a 'good' public school in your area, regardless the level, it will eventually transition to mediocre and then to bad.

For sure. And any administration changes from year to year can make a huge difference too. A good principal can make a big difference. It is important to stay on top of what is going on in the school.

Though I would suggest it is important in both public and private schools. I see a lot of private school parents who have little to no involvement in their kids education. They think paying several thousand dollars a year is all they need to do and wash their hands of it.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My daughter's are both home schooled and YEARS ahead of the top kids in their grade still in government controlled facilities.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I went to private school, it is the source of all of my rage.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Many people place their kids in public schools because they can’t afford private schools. It’s no secret that private educated students are better educated and not indoctrinated like public school students.

And requiring people to pay the school tax when their children are privately educated is robbery, plain and simple.

We figure out portion of property taxes that go to public schools as charitable giving.

Our school system decided to bus kids in from the low performing schools to the high performing schools.
Now we have schools that are falling in their performance rating. Big shocker there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post