SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to buy stocks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to buy stocks? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it." -- Will Rogers

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Vanguard index fund and be done with it. Warren buffet know more than all of us and that is what he recommends.

Not a Buffet fan, but take his advice. Vanguard, Schwab, E*Trade with ETF's -- don't matter. Just buy indes finds and be done with it.

One thing I have found over and over again is people bragging about their stock gains, but they never tell you about the losers. So, they make it sound easier than it is. It's not that easy.

Best of luck.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
If you don't know "how to buy stocks" then you are definitely not ready to buy stocks.

The markets are my business so trust me when I say it's not for amateurs and newbies.

Time for some learning. Read some books, maybe take some classes if you're interested in investing your money on your own. In the meantime, index funds are a great way to go for exposure to equities. Market is at an all time high but that means nothing. It could keep going up, stay the same or go down. No one ones. You can always dollar cost average over some amount of time if you pefer.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“There is one rule that works in every calamity. Be it pestilence, war or famine, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The poor even help arrange it. but it’s just as Mr. Brisbane and I have been constantly telling you, ‘Don’t gamble’; take all your savings and buy some good stock, and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don’t go up, don’t buy it.”

The unabridged Will Rogers quote.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The least expensive, and safest way to buy stocks is to buy into a mutual fund.

Vanguard's Star fund comes to mind.

The fastest way to lose money in the stock market is not to diversify. For a few people, it is also the fastest way to gain money.

Yeah, look to Mutual Funds or RTF's.
BTW, I have VIGRX (Vanguard Index Growth Fund) which has done well for me.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
This is good timing. My first time personally buying shares was a few days ago when I got some cash via "Special Dividend" received when GE bought out Baker Hughes.

I always contributed through the ESPP I was offered at work and didn't think much about it until I resigned.

Looks like my decisions to reinvest in BHGE wasn't a great one. With little knowledge of the stock market, I will probably just let it ride instead of putting it somewhere else.

This Vanguard business sounds interesting though.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post