SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to buy stocks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to buy stocks? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What's the easiest, least expensive way to buy stocks? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I have a brokerage account with Fidelity. It's very user friendly and their support is good. Trades are $4.95

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to several places.

I use schwab but only because they're convenient and I've had them for so long and they've gone down in prices to match. they always have people 24/7. And they have a portfolio of ETFs and mutual funds at no fee.

There's one that's $1 per trade and another for $3 per trade.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
That is for those who know what they want to buy, understands the order types, and needs no help.

That $4.95 is real expensive if, for example, you want to buy 100 shares of a $50 stock. You sign in and put in an order to buy at the market. Just as you hit the go button, the stock hops 25 cents, your buy gets executed, after which it settles back to what it was before. Maybe a limit order would have been better. OTOH, maybe your limit order would not have gotten filled, before the stock runs up a dollar! Or, maybe you end up chasing the stock as it is running. Now what?

It isn't as easy as they make out, you know.

I have used Schwab for decades, but trade so seldom, it isn't a big cost.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The least expensive, and safest way to buy stocks is to buy into a mutual fund.

Vanguard's Star fund comes to mind.

The fastest way to lose money in the stock market is not to diversify. For a few people, it is also the fastest way to gain money.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Unless this is just fun/gambling money, I would open a Vanguard account. They have great funds.

VTSMX is a great one if you have $3k to put in I think it is. VTSTAX is the next up with $10k min.

VTI I believe is their no minimum that is an ETF.

All 3 are essentially the same for the most part. Great total market type funds.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the present market highs, isn't this the wrong time to buy into funds or stocks?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't time the market. A good way to invest it so invest a set amount regularly, such as monthly, regardless of market highs or lows.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You might invest <$15 in The Little Book of Value Investing by Christopher Browne. Amazon and all usual suspects.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Vanguard index fund and be done with it. Warren buffet know more than all of us and that is what he recommends.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use a company called Motif.

I build a mini portfolio of stocks called a "motif" and it trades all at once. I can buy up to 30 different stocks in a single trade for $9.95. Or you can buy a single stock for $4.95 a trade.

There are fine lines between investing, speculating, and gambling. You should understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Warren Buffett wanted Hillary to be president too. To follow WB buy Berkshire Hathaway class B.

I"ve been investing in the stock market since the early 1960s when I was 13. My first buy was 8 shares of Eli Lilly when it was otc. Still have it and it's a little over 1000 shares now thanks to div re-investment and splits.

I use TD Ameritrade and a modified version of Dogs of the Dow.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the Dow at 21,500? Don't do that to yourself. If you do, buy long term staples that pay healthy dividends.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
At the present market highs, isn't this the wrong time to buy into funds or stocks?

This question, quite literally, cannot be answered. Some stocks would be good buys and some would be disasters. The current Dow Jones average tells you virtually nothing about any particular purchase.

If you don't know what you are doing (and as J Allen often says, knowing what you are doing is everything), get a little advice about the market, and buy into a mutual fund or funds. Get some advice about which ones have reasonable fees and costs and meet your goals.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Vanguard index fund and be done with it. Warren buffet know more than all of us and that is what he recommends.

Vanguard and Fidelity have been having a quite war on index fund costs. Fidelity's costs are slightly lower but the difference is miniscule.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:

Maybe your crystal ball is better than mine?? But I understand what you are saying that current levels appear lofty.

In any case one can also short stocks or buy stocks that short the market though IMO doubtful what the OP wants to do.

IMO good idea for one to have a brokerage account rather than leave any potential investment funds in the bank account where the most one can make is a fraction of one percent. The Vanguard Ultra Short bond fund is currently yielding 1.5 percent.

https://personal.vanguard.com/...tExt=INT&FundId=1492

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
www.bogleheads.org is the sigforum of finance and related topics

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I use Fidelity for ours.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
And the next question will be - Holy crap how can I avoid the government taking all my gains in taxes?!

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post