SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saturday 4/29/17 marks the 25th anniversary of nthe LA riots. Has it been that long?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday 4/29/17 marks the 25th anniversary of nthe LA riots. Has it been that long? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing during the several days of the LA riots. . What I saw changed my opinion of humanity and began my understanding of the relationship between liberty and morality. Until then I believed that mankind was basically righteous with a few personal flaws. Now I understand that righteousness is refined into the natural man through consequence and moral training. What we saw in LA is when morality and consequence are removed from a culture.

Anyway, For the sakes of those innocents killed and injured during the riots, I make this post in their honor. Older article that lists murdered victims and who they were.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, does it?

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it was the History channel that just did a 2hr special on it the other night. Watched it. It was ok, learned more details about it than I remember. I was still in high school at the time.

There was a current LA politician with purple hair throughout the show. I just find it hard to take anyone seriously when their head looks like the top of a birthday present.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was about 3 weeks from high school graduation in northern ca. There was some minor rioting up here if I recall. Saw that history channel show. What a CF it was from all agencies involved not stomping it out sooner.

I remember sitting in my buddy's house with some other guys watching the news till almost midnight the first night.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I remember where I was - in the Navy at NAS Miramar.

I, was enlisted and on watch with a young(er), black officer (I'm white enough I'll burn just thinking about a sunny day). We could only sit there and watch in disbelief.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember also.

I was flying through LAX that day and recall them announcing to passengers leaving LAX to have extreme caution driving into LA based on the widespread unrest.

Never left the terminal so I saw nothing up close.

Could see smoke from the air. Crazy.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Here's an account from Charlton Heston about the Hollywood types during the riots.

"....He recalled the Los Angeles riots in 1992, which helped many Hollywood folks change their views on gun ownership. As smoke from burning buildings smudged the skyline and the TV news showed vivid images of laughing loot­ers smashing windows and carting off boom boxes and booze, Heston got a few phone calls from firmly anti-gun friends. One conversation went this way:

“Umm, Chuck, you have quite a few … ah, guns, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Shotguns and … like that?”

“Indeed.”

“Could you lend me one for a day or so? I tried to buy one, but they have this waiting period … ”

“Yeah, I know; I remember you voted for that. Do you know how to use a shotgun?”

“No, I thought maybe you could teach me. This is getting a little scary.”

“I noticed. I could teach you, but not in an hour. You might shoot yourself instead of the bad guys. The Marines are coming up from Pendleton; that’ll end it. When it does, go buy yourself a good shotgun and take some lessons. It doesn’t get so scary then.”

Heston said his friend writer-director John Milius had more calls. His answer was more forthright: “Sorry. They’re all being used.”'

linky

That account always makes me smile.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post