SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've been lying to my refrigerator for the last few months.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been lying to my refrigerator for the last few months. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
We bought a new fridge and the water filter is expired......I guess. How does the fridge know that? Anyway, I never remember to buy a new filter, and when I do, I can't remember the info needed to get the right one. So when my fridge begins to harangue me about the filter, I lie to it. Then it stops beeping at me when I fill up my glass. How can a fridge be so smart and so gullible?

Also, does anyone wear velour anymore?

Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have my water filter on a Amazon Prime 6-month subscription. A new one shows up on my doorstep every 6-months and I don't have to trick the fridge any more.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have my water filter on a Amazon Prime 6-month subscription. A new one shows up on my doorstep every 6-months and I don't have to trick the fridge any more.

Hey, I didn't know I could do that.....

Heading to Amazon.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
For me, it's not so much tricking the fridge, as tricking my wife. She doesn't like living knowing that something needs replacing, so, I kindly reset the filter light whenever it turns red. It doesn't matter that we don't get water from the fridge. If a filter needs replacing, she's going to do it!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I have named mine Hal (2001 fame),all I ask it to do is make ice, and it won't, I can hear it saying, sorry Dave I can't do that. Tomorrow is going to be ice maker #4 going in.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My kids claim the water tastes better after I press the filter reset button. I haen't bought a filter in years. Shhh... Wink

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Your frig water filter will eventually piss all over your kitchen. Ask me how I know.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Mines set to show its bad every six months, whether it is or not. To me it's a money making scam from the manufacturer since it's not sending a plugged filter but only on a time interval. The replacement filters are expensive too. My solution was to install an ice maker type filter on my water supply and I'll change that one. I'll probably never change the one inside the fridge.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that most "replace filter" lights are triggered by a certain number of door openings (how it knows that I'm not sure) vs. actual age/water usage. I guess someone somewhere ran the calculations and decided that the average user will use x number of gallons for each time they open the freezer/fridge. After so many repetitions it triggers the little reminder light.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're supposed to change the filter?!? Razz

But seriously, it's one of those things like cleaning the dish washer filter; it just never gets done.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post