SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Because Milwaukee doesn't make belt sanders...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because Milwaukee doesn't make belt sanders... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
And because the collective knows all...

I have a 3x18 belt sander... and I need to use it... but it's been awhile and we have moved and I had a lot of help the last time I cleaned out my garage. I can't find the dang thing anywhere!
It is an old craftsman circa mid '70's. 3x18 Didn't track very well and was kind of small and weak so it's not much gone.

So... Where is it?

Barring finding it, what to replace it with?
Definitely want to go bigger as I see some larger projects in the future, but can't decide on 3x24 or 4x24. Leaning toward a 4x24 because I will hopefully eventually find my little one for smaller things.

I have noticed some look really top heavy and awkward.
A couple of ones below that caught my eye and have good reviews.

This Makita 9404 8.8-Amp 4-by-24-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander
http://a.co/cl55LQn
Auto tracking... wonder how well that works, sounds like a gimmick. It looks fairly low center of gravity so easier to balance/control. But it's only 8.8 amps which seems a little weak for a 4x24. It does have a 16 ft power cord.

This PORTER-CABLE 362V 4-Inch by 24-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander
http://a.co/8Dj54RD
It also looks fairly compact and has a beefy 12 amp motor. But it weighs 15 lb!

Both are variable speed, have dust bags and both sand flush to one side.
Price is really not an issue but under 300 would be good.

I wasn't really feeling the offerings from HF or Northern.
My Lowe's doesn't carry any 4x24s.
For Hobby and remodel use with some modest furniture making thrown in, not professionally.

What yall think?

Thanks!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar quandary some time ago and I believe it may have been Arc who recommended the Porter Cable. I picked one up and it has served me very well since then.

It is truly a beast but it tracks well and is quite controllable which is a good thing because you must keep it moving at all times to avoid digging a hole in your work, especially with anything below 80 grit.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post