SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, it turns out David Letterman is a jerk. Who knew?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, it turns out David Letterman is a jerk. Who knew? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I had heard similar thinks said about Carson. Specifically that off the show, he was a nasty drunk. He didn't seem to live too long after leaving the show.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Not much of a suprise.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We loved him in the early eighties. Too bad he became such a douche bag. I can't really claim to care as I gave up on him years ago. This Seinfeld quote pretty much sums it up for me:

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred Leno by a landslide. Leno seemed warm and personable.

Letterman always seemed like he thought he was better than everybody and would look down on most people.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
He looks like a psyco now.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really gave two shitz about his show. My wife and i were visiting her father and his wife in chico. He was and she is recovering alcoholics. They used to look up to dave lettermans main band member. He was a recovering alcoholic, of like 7 years. Did a lot of speaking on it. So we had been talking when her brother walked in and flipped on the tube. Letterman was talking to someone about their new vodka or distillery. We were not really paying attention. Untill they popped the top on the bottle and passed it around shoving a glass in his and every ones hands. Then proceeding to give him shit for not drinking it till he did.

The room was stunned silence. My wifes father had spent most of his life in pruson because of alcohol, his wife had lost contact with her first husband and kids vecause of it, her brother (one in the room) had some form of fetal alchol syndrome. Everyone, was just stunned.

Yes it was his choice. He could have said no. Fuck david letterman.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
He looks like a psyco now.

That guy was deep inside Letterman's heart all along. He finally came out.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I never could stand him and never watched more than maybe 30 seconds a year.

Ditto.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I caught him a few times, he'd have one funny joke in 5 and I'd move on... he always came across as overly aggressive and vendictive to me.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I never could stand him and never watched more than maybe 30 seconds a year.

Ditto.

Double Ditto...

Re: Picture above.....WHOA!!! I would NEVER have pegged that for Letterman!!!! Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure it ain't Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19183 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sure he was a Dick , pretty much every time he opened his head,
big deal way old news,
Larry McShane is he any lesser a dick for writing this ,so far after the fact ?

and all the blabber mouths who despised him but wanted his payroll checks,
are they any less dicks?

He made a lot of people a lot of money , they knew the costs when they were grabbing for their dough as well.

This shit flinging is vile and serves no purpose.
shame on all those involved

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I knew he was a jerk without this book-- which I certainly won't buy and read. But I have a different take on its appearance. I'm sure it causes Letterman discomfort to have all this revealed-- and why shouldn't he have to deal with it. The latest thing from the left are the "comics" who say truly vile-- and not at all funny-- things about Trump, his family, and his supporters. Letterman led the way on that kind of thing. I'm no fan of Sarah Palin, but Letterman made sexual jokes about her then 13 year old daughter. How low is that?

So this book will make him squirm. I wouldn't write it, won't read it, but I have no problem with it being out there.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I read The Late Shift years ago. This is nothing new. Never could understand why people fawned over Letterman.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
That's him. Complete with Ball State shirt. Looks like a crazy man.
Back in the day I lived in Anderson Ind. Wish I still had my Ball U T shirt. Course it wouldn't fit now.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

Back in the day I lived in Anderson Ind. Wish I still had my Ball U T shirt. Course it wouldn't fit now.

I dated a gal from Anderson. Met her in AIT and moved across the country to attend Ball State...for one semester. One of the dumbest things I've ever done.

There's an old Harry Chapin song where he talks about Watertown, NY (lived there as well) and says, "I spent a week there one afternoon". Muncie was a lot like that.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Never liked that clown and never thought he was funny. The few times I saw his top 10 list it was always lame. I think Conan was better.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
We call that the "Billy Mays" button on our remote.

Letterman's studio was one floor up from my FIL's studio an NBC years ago. My wife has a bunch of Letterman asshole stories.

I never cared for the guy before I learned this.

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I couldn't stand Letterman. I'd switch the TV off his channel quicker that a jack rabbit making a pit stop.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post