SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, it turns out David Letterman is a jerk. Who knew?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, it turns out David Letterman is a jerk. Who knew? Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
Late-night legend David Letterman's ugly personality no laughing matter, former colleagues say

Late-night funnyman David Letterman was hardly a barrel of laughs off the air.

A new biography of the now-retired talk show host portrays Letterman as more self-loathing than self-critical — and an often miserable man who inflicted his pain on his staff.

“He was never truly comfortable unless he was seething with unhappiness at something,” one longtime writer told author Jason Zinoman in “Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night.”

In fact, few of the acerbic Letterman’s close colleagues sang his praises to Zinoman.

Letterman’s demeanor soured after July 1995, when his CBS front-running program dipped to second place behind “The Tonight Show” with former friend-turned-enemy Jay Leno.

Viewers flipped to NBC when Leno landed an interview with actor Hugh Grant, fresh off his arrest for soliciting a hooker improbably named Divine Brown.

Many never returned, curdling Letterman’s on-air persona.

He became more openly caustic as his comedy took a sadistic turn. One night, after his “Late Show” was whipped in the ratings by both “The Tonight Show” and “Nightline,” his rage visibly surfaced.

A comedy bit called for a life-size Letterman doll to sit in the guest’s chair. Seemingly on the spur of the moment, Letterman punched the doll — to much audience laughter.

The laughs continued as he landed a few more blows. And then the 580-seat theater went silent when Letterman fell into a frenzy of punching and slapping his plastic alter ego.

Obviously, something was wrong with Dave.

“People don’t understand why you’re behaving the way you’re behaving,” said Rob Burnett, a trusted colleague and the head of Letterman’s Worldwide Pants production company, in a candid chat with his boss.

Letterman’s anger wasn’t all directed inward, and he became upset with pretty much everyone on the show.

Burnett returned as executive producer, but things became strained. His unique ability to manage his boss’ dark moods ended with a “falling-out,” according to Burnett.

Their relationship eroded to the point where they were barely speaking. According to a veteran producer, “everything changed after that.”

A veteran staffer who served under Letterman through both his late-night shows observed that getting close to the boss was perilous: “There comes a moment when he turns on you.”

The tale of Tim Long, one of several head writers hired during the show’s run, was typical. Unable to deal with the host’s constant rejections and dark moods, Long took to chewing Coke cans — and swallowing pieces of tin.

Competitor Jay Leno leapt to fame after viewers flipped to watch his interview with actor Hugh Grant, fresh off a prostitution sting. Letterman lost a chunk of viewers to Leno and his more affable personality.

Even the famously mellow Paul Shaffer lashed out at Letterman one night when Todd Rundgren sat in with the band.

Letterman kept pushing and needling, trying to get Rundgren to do more than the one number done in rehearsal.

“The cat flies in to do us a favor and you just want what you want,” Shaffer yelled at his boss.

It embarrassed Shaffer so much the moment was cut from the show before airing, even though Letterman said he was fine with it.

The irony: Letterman was miserable even when his ratings put the show at No. 1 in late-night viewers. In 1993, he walked away from NBC after the network chose Leno to succeed Johnny Carson, taking the 11:30 p.m. slot on rival CBS for his “Late Show With David Letterman.”

CBS offered Letterman a then-record deal with a $16 million annual salary. The payoff was immediate as Letterman seized the ratings lead against the once-invincible “Tonight.”

Yet Letterman remained miserable. “He always complained from the very beginning,” recalled one producer.

Things went downhill from there.

“It got worse when he went to CBS,” recalled Shaffer. “Any flaw, minor flaw, he exaggerated. He was most uncomfortable at No. 1.”

Comic Rich Hall, a writer for Letterman’s NBC show, was floored by the host’s new, abrasive nature when he appeared as a guest. Hall followed actress Andie MacDowell, who had just flopped in her segment. Before the cameras came on, Letterman leaned over and snarled, “How’d you like to be married to that c---?”

What the author calls Letterman’s “ferocious fear of failure” was there from the first.

The feeling of foreboding was exacerbated by the 1980 cancellation of his NBC morning show, “The David Letterman Show,” within months of its debut.

His girlfriend at the time and for years to come, Merrill Markoe, was a brilliantly inventive comedy writer and instrumental in shaping the show.

Markoe, who rarely comments on Letterman publicly, told the author about the resulting fallout.

“If it weren’t for you and your crazy ideas,” Letterman shouted at her on the street, “I’d still have a talk show like John Davidson!”

David Letterman is hypochondriac, new book claims
It’s a comment funny only in retrospect.

Markoe became head writer on NBC’s “Late Night With David Letterman” from the first show in 1982 — and suffered for that, too.

Every night after the show, an agonized Letterman would lock himself in his office with Markoe.

“The last 10 months have included a nightly discussion about what a failure we are,” she once noted.

In those days, the acid-tongued Letterman would hang out, trading barbs with the writers. His targets learned not to return in kind, as the hurt would show on Letterman’s face.

“He was very sensitive,” says Barbara Gaines, a producer who remained with Letterman until his 2015 retirement.

By the end of the ’80s, Letterman was the king of hip and cool. He now smoked cigars and assumed “a statelier air.” Notably, he no longer made a show of despising celebrities, as he had for a decade.

When Barbara Walters booked him as a guest interview on one of her specials, he walked around the office openly expressing his admiration for her.

“What happened, Dave?” asked head writer Steven O’Donnell.

Letterman at a 1982 NBC reception honoring the announcement of his show. (AP)
“They are like my peers now,” the host told him.

It was during that era that Letterman started abruptly turning on longtime, trusted colleagues. Barry Sand, a producer and ally since the morning show, suddenly could do nothing right.

After a guest canceled at the last minute, Sand scrambled and was able to book Mel Gibson — then at the height of his fame. Letterman turned on the producer and snarled, “Who the hell wants Mel Gibson? I don’t want Mel Gibson.”

He opted instead for Kamarr the Discount Magician. Sand was soon gone.

In the rush of his success, the formerly prudish Letterman switched up his persona, booking “leggy supermodels” as frequent and welcome guests.

The phrase “leggy supermodels” was funny, but Letterman’s leers came off as sincere and appreciative.

Boorish advances became his signature. Sitting next to Jerry Hall, whose breasts exploded from her dress, he openly enjoyed the view.

“I get the awful feeling I may have overinflated my tires,” quipped Letterman.

On one cringeworthy show, he sucked on a strand of Jennifer Aniston’s hair.

Zinoman writes that after a time, the satire faded away to show the bits for what they were — a rich and famous man indulging his fantasies.

“As he got older, Letterman increasingly played the horny creep,” he writes.

By the time he was an eminence grise on CBS, he became “crudely sexual” in his interviews. The camera would slowly pan over the legs of Aniston or Gwen Stefani as he delivered lascivious comments.

“He seemed like a pervy old man at times,” says one of his head writers, Eric Stangel.

Even before the 2009 scandal when an affair with an assistant exposed Letterman to an extortion try, the host interacted infrequently with most of the show staff.

The only trusted colleagues were those who had worked with Letterman for decades — at least, those left standing.

Letterman just couldn’t bring himself to talk to people.

It seems, though, that after a year and a half in retirement, Letterman is now eager to chat.

In an interview with New York magazine, Letterman claims his son, Harry, 13, doesn’t like being in public with him.

Not because of his snow-white mountain man beard, but because he talks too much to everyone.

Letterman says he’ll fake his death if Rahal doesn't win Indy 500

Letterman might have been kidding. Or not.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ent...es-article-1.2995387[B]Late-night legend David

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
In the 90s people knew. I watched him in the late 80s/early 90s when he was after Carson. Funny then. But I think Leno getting Carson's spot changed him. After getting his show on CBS, it was not the same. He was bitter then. And it went down hill from there. I stopped watching in 96 when all he could do was make fun of Bob Dole's age. It felt like a guy who had given up and at the same time was trying to remind people he used to be funny.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
A life of fame and fortune, and he is a bitter old leftist.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
He was always a liberal and his latest antics do not surprise me one bit....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I read some years back that he has suffered from major depression his whole life. Not making excuses for the guy, but it would explain why he's never felt good enough, everyone has fucked him over in his view, angry, erratic and promiscuous behavior, etc....

Years ago he was funny and put on a good show that I preferred to watch over the alternatives. His last ten years or so though were miserable. All of his character flaws were on full display every night and it wasn't good at all.

I know several people from the town near his ranch out here and evidently he's every bit the dick there too.

You would think that with retirement and all of his dough that he'd be a pretty happy-go-lucky fella. Apparently not.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In the late 80's and early 90's he was hilarious. I watched him all the time. Around the 95-96 timeframe he quit being funny. After that I would see the occasional clip and he was nothing but a bitter, angry old man who wasn't the least bit funny or original.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
In the 90s people knew. I watched him in the late 80s/early 90s when he was after Carson. Funny then. But I think Leno getting Carson's spot changed him. After getting his show on CBS, it was not the same. He was bitter then. And it went down hill from there. I stopped watching in 96 when all he could do was make fun of Bob Dole's age. It felt like a guy who had given up and at the same time was trying to remind people he used to be funny.

I think this is fair. I liked Letterman - he was funny and innovative. But he did change and got bitter and unfunny. Maybe it was not getting the Tonight Show. Hell, that would have made me bitter.

A lot of comics have weird and difficult personalities. That doesn't make them fun for the people who live near them, but it doesn't seem uncommon.

By most accounts, Johnny was no peach, either. But he did keep that off the show.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I never could stand him and never watched more than maybe 30 seconds a year.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Not exactly breaking news...

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Who knew? He's been a raging asshole for years, just look at his final 8-10 years on TV.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I never thought he was funny to begin with - always struck me as an arrogant prick

had all the charm of a disease-ridden hooker

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add except my agreement with what has already been said.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Text book schadenfreude.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8337 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When one gets so addicted to ratings, fame and the cash flow that comes with them...you have David Letterman. Like many celebrities, they seem affable and hilarious when they're on the rise but, once on top, any challenge to the shine of their star turns them into petty, bitter, raging assholes.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
IMO, he's a whack job without the slightest grip on reality. One of those "messy-desked" looney's from years past.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I couldn't stand Letterman. I'd switch the TV off his channel quicker that a jack rabbit making a pit stop.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
He was funny when he was goofy and irreverent. He did different stuff with various recurring (real and not real) characters. And then, as others have noted, he got bitter and unfunny. I don't know why CBS kept him for as long as they did, but I guess his ratings were good enough.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
He surely loved having Michelle Obama on the show, another reason not to watch, as if there were not already enough reasons. What a rude and caustic jerk he became.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I NEVER, wasted any time watching him. EVER.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The Stangel brothers were his head writers for a while and they said he would give them memorabilia from the show and then later accuse them of stealing it...weird shit like that.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post