SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What could be put on the new keypad to help protect the numbers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could be put on the new keypad to help protect the numbers? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Just spent couple hundred to replace the keypad on our 08 Expedition. Some of the numbers were worn to the point of illegibility.

Any advice for something to put over the pad to prevent the wear? I guess we could periodically change the combination to even out the wear but I'd prefer to keep the one we have.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Would clear nail polish do the job?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about the keypad on Fords but the radio and dashboard buttons on a Chevy Suburban have a kind of matte finish rubbery covering that essentially dissolves from whatever hand lotion goop my bride habitually uses.

I’d be leery of using clear fingernail polish on any kind of plastic or rubber-it has a solvent in it that probably will do bad things.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easiest thing to do is just push all the buttons once the door is open, that way everything wears evenly.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Seems to me using the FOB on the ignition key would be the easiest way to avoid that problem in the future.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not just use the remote FOB to open doors and such?

I just got rid of a 2008 expedition and my numbers all looked perfect but I mostly used the fob. Honestly, in another 10 years, replacing the keypad because the numbers are illegible will be the least of your worries on that vehicle.

I think any coating that you put on, would detract from the life span of the rubber key pad digits.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Why do you care? Just remember the order of the digits. A lot of people successfully work with keyboards that have totally blank keys from the beginning.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Tried Saran wrap?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

No monkey, wrong thread, that's how darthfuster protects his garage from his wife.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Try clear packing tape. Trim closely with a razor blade. Replace as necessary.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How long did it last the first time? Maybe you just replace it again when it wears out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Try clear packing tape. Trim closely with a razor blade. Replace as necessary.

You won't be able to press the small buttons. I don't think you'd be able to trim the tape without damaging the rubber on the buttons or the trim piece. They're small rubber buttons that recess into the trim when you press them. The OP could try spraying a protectant on them like 303, but doubt it will help much.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
No matter what you put on the buttons, it will be a very temporary fix that may or may not work at all. These things fade and wear away. That's reality. I'd recommend you either replace them when necessary, or as someone else noted, just memorize whatever pattern you program into it and forget the numbers. The latter would be my choice.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it the pushing of the buttons that is wearing them out or the weather ? or both?

ten years seems pretty just about right to me .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I buy the iPearl® keyboard covers, they are cheap last about a year.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is it the pushing of the buttons that is wearing them out or the weather ? or both?

ten years seems pretty just about right to me .

The original buttons on my 2008 Expedition were in perfect shape when I traded it in 5 months ago.