SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Struggling with exaggerated allegations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Struggling with exaggerated allegations. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If what you did do was still the same violation, then fighting about it seems very silly, indeed.

Especially if it something as minor as a traffic violation.

No one knows or cares what you are alleged to have done in this trivial and unimportant incident. You will not vindicate your self by fighting. The governor will not write you a letter apologizing for the error. They will not publish a retraction in the paper. The court will not apologize or even acknowledge the exaggeration. No one will know. Because no one knows or cares about the ticket in the first place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
On the other hand, sometimes it's just better to accept the fact that the world is an unfair place and move on. You can spend a lotta time and a lot more than $150 on a fight that nobody but you gives a shit about.

(I'm just filling in for jhe888, who's off today. Big Grin )

Thanks. I posted my response above having missed yours. But you did a fine job. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
This isn’t firearms related. It is a minor civil infraction issue, like a speeding ticket but involving distance. The facts are an exact analogy. I don’t think it was intentional by the officer but I think they are using distance measuring equipment that does not meet comparable standards that apply to things like a speed detection radar.

I can't understand why you can't just say what really happened. Is it something embarrassing?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
This isn’t firearms related. It is a minor civil infraction issue, like a speeding ticket but involving distance.

Unless it's a traffic infraction that will garner you points, which would impact your car insurance rates, I'd be inclined to let it go.

Yes, as member Palm notes: In a pre-trial discussion with the Prosecutor they may amend the complaint to a lesser infraction. Then again they may not.

Mine would've gotten me points. So I met with the Prosecutor. I copped to it. Didn't try to excuse or justify it. Simply asked if she could see her way clear to avoid assessing me points. She looked at my record and reduced the charge to some-or-another non-moving violation. More money but no points. I took it. So it benefited me. (Bonus: She was quite cute, and very personable, too.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post