SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    JUST. MOVE. OVER. for emergency vehicles.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JUST. MOVE. OVER. for emergency vehicles. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Local news report: A truck plowed into two police vehicles that were working a wreck on I-24 this morning. The officers were LUCKY! Both were treated and released. The Tennessee State Trooper was in his SUV when it was hit... photo #1 below.

Sorry, photos cut and paste from news app (no web link)

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been on the receiving end of this. We had a single car into the right hand guardrail accident about 6 years ago. I was driving the rig and stopped and blocked the shoulder and right lane to protect the scene with the truck. I got out of the truck and went to the first compartment to grab my coat and helmet (never drive a fire truck with turnout cost) and some jackass decided to try to skip the line of traffic and pull right by the truck taking my jacket with him on his mirror.
My helmet ended up in his back window. He was arrested when state PD arrived.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Another reason I love the Ford Explorer police SUVs. They are designed to absorb a 75mph rear-impact and allow survivability.

When I have the opportunity to stop people for violating this, I write them. Every time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Tennessee law requires you move over OR if you just can't, due to traffic or whatever, to slow to 45% of the speed IIRC. So about 30 MPH on the interstate. At first it was just for LEO but I believe they have expanded it to Ambulances and Wreckers etc.

When the law first went into effect the THP did some stings to educate...

One Trooper parked on shoulder all lit up... three more waiting ~1/4 mile up the road pulling over the violators, but I have not seen or heard of this being done in years. The traffic reporters on the radio would warn of it going on in their reports, but it seems maybe they need to do this more often.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I can't move over, traffic in the next lane doesn't always give you a hole, but if that's the case I always slow way down. That of course, pisses off the driver behind me but my attitude there is "tough shit, I'm not going to endanger a cop or amber lamps guy."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Another reason I love the Ford Explorer police SUVs. They are designed to absorb a 75mph rear-impact and allow survivability.

When I have the opportunity to stop people for violating this, I write them. Every time.

It is absolutely amazing how well it did. I don't think a 4runner would be so lucky.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
What are the odds the truck driver wasn't paying attention?

Be it a radio, smart phone, GPS, flat screen tv. Whatever, it kills more and more people every year.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
People are stupid, stupid, stupid. 3/4 of ‘em should not be on the road. I dealt with this constantly when I was a paramedic. It drove me nuts.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I tell people all the time, they probably pay more attention pushing a shopping cart than they do driving a vehicle. The texting while driving has gotten to the point where you can look around at other drivers and see half of them texting away as you drive down the road.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The Interceptor SUV has been a complete home run for Ford; this is just another accolade to throw on the pile. I am very happy to be in one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The THP vehicle looks well off the road. I take it the impact pushed it there?

Posts: 27953 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Tennessee law requires you move over OR if you just can't, due to traffic or whatever, to slow to 45% of the speed IIRC. So about 30 MPH on the interstate. At first it was just for LEO but I believe they have expanded it to Ambulances and Wreckers etc...

TN Code 55-8-132 doesn't say how much you have to slow down if it's unsafe to move over or if you are on a two lane road. It applies to emergency vehicles, utility vehicles, and TDOT vehicles with flashing lights. As of 7/1/2017 it applies to any motor vehicle stopped on the side of the road that has its hazard lights on.

I only looked it up because because reducing speed to 45% of posted speed limit seemed odd. Florida's law says move over if safe or reduce speed to 20mph less than posted speed or 5mph, which ever is greater.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sometimes I can't move over, traffic in the next lane doesn't always give you a hole, but if that's the case I always slow way down. That of course, pisses off the driver behind me but my attitude there is "tough shit, I'm not going to endanger a cop or amber lamps guy."

That's fine in Florida. If it's a 2-lane highway, or if you can't move over, you are supposed to slow down to 20 below the posted limit.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got clipped by a mirror one night on a traffic stop.... Jumped back in the patrol car and ran the guy who tagged me down. Turns out he was three times over the limit, DWI, lucky for me his mirror caught my portable radio on my left hip and only the radio got damaged.

Blue lights attract drivers like bugs to a bug zapper.

Everyone is so busy Lucy-looking instead of driving!!!grrrrrrrr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had maybe a half a dozen close calls and two that resulted in damage to my vehicle. One was a sideswipe that took out the left side of my patrol car AFTER I had jumped over the hood with 1/2 second to spare. That was a drunk.

The other was a fatigued driver , possible asleep, who ran into the rear of my Crown Vic at 55 or 65 mph. I was training a new Trooper and she sustained serious back injuries. Ended her career!

We were always too lenient with these idiots here in Montana. I would work other Troopers scenes and stop only the really fast drivers....going by at 60 or 70 mph. Write them a Reckeless. NEVER lost any that went to Court.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Yup the same law in VA... we will also stage mock TS to stop folks and have a chat with them.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I only looked it up because because reducing speed to 45% of posted speed limit seemed odd. Florida's law says move over if safe or reduce speed to 20mph less than posted speed or 5mph, which ever is greater.

Thanks for the clarification / correction.

Apparently my memory isn't what I remember it to be. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I almost got zapped on a traffic stop a couple weeks had lean into the door to avoid the pain. After getting a Grand Prix shoved up my butt a couple years ago working an accident I try the passenger side approach everytime I can.

In NE the state statute specifically states you cannot have a selective or mock TS to snag up move over violators. Dumb if you ask me.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I almost got zapped on a traffic stop a couple weeks had lean into the door to avoid the pain. After getting a Grand Prix shoved up my butt a couple years ago working an accident I try the passenger side approach everytime I can.

In NE the state statute specifically states you cannot have a selective or mock TS to snag up move over violators. Dumb if you ask me.

Anytime I’d back up another officer on a stop on a multi-lane highway, I’d look for one to go after as they were wrapping up their stop. Unless one came too close before.

There was never, ever, a shortage of opportunities.

Then the first officer would back me on my new traffic stop, and do the same. We called it “leapfrogging”. Tried to do it every few weeks when I was on patrol.

The hardest decision was when to pull out into traffic to go after one, without being hit by the next jackass going 70mph+.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

Anytime I’d back up another officer on a stop on a multi-lane highway, I’d look for one to go after as they were wrapping up their stop. Unless one came too close before.

There was never, ever, a shortage of opportunities.

Then the first officer would back me on my new traffic stop, and do the same. We called it “leapfrogging”. Tried to do it every few weeks when I was on patrol.

The hardest decision was when to pull out into traffic to go after one, without being hit by the next jackass going 70mph+.

Absolutely. Says nothing about your cover Officer. But, you are right. Sometimes had to weigh the decision to pull out and get a violator and play Frogger with th other morons. Sometimes the best decision was to cuss at them under your breath or, if possible, get a plate and pay a visit later.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post