SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Input on Weighted Blankets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input on Weighted Blankets Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
Okay, I just now heard of them and have been told that they help with sleep. Has anyone here actually used one or using one currently?
Looking for input from members here.

Thanks in advance.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something I had never heard of, so I obviously cannot comment about heavy blankets per se, but I have always preferred sleeping in a cool to cold room with heavy covers that I wrap close to my body.

An informative article here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...dec761e73_story.html

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I bought one. It was hot and pulling it on and off aggravated my various tendinitis’s. I wanted to like it, but I’m not convinced it helped me with my sleep. I still tossed and turned, but with a small child sitting on my chest. I ultimately returned it. I’d suggest buying one with a money back guarantee just in case you don’t like it as they are expensive to buy and heavy to move around to store

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife thought that a weighted blanket would be a good idea for me, so she bought one.

I hated it! Too heavy -- fifteen pounds. Pain in the ass getting up to pee in the night, then getting back in bed and trying to re-arrange things. Uncomfortable when trying to shift position in bed.

I love my wife and since she went to the trouble of doing something that she though would be good, I tried it for several nights. It is now folded up, in the closet.

If you want to try one, I suggest making sure that it is returnable, and preferably from a local store because it might be unwieldy to return by shipping back to an online source, especially if you have to pay for shipping both ways (once when you buy it, again when you return it). Maybe Amazon Prime? Do they pay for return shipping if you don't like an item? I'm not sure.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Kids have used them since they were babies. They helped. I know at least two adults that had trouble sleeping, lots of tossing and turning, that they helped.

I definitely wouldn’t want one that was too heavy.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have trouble sleeping so decided to give one a try. I wanted to like it but it didn't work for me. My problem was I seem to move around when I sleep and it made that difficult. I would wake up and try and roll over and have to move the blanket with my arms.

My issue could be I got was one of the heavier ones. Doing research I read they should be weighted by your size so I went on the heavier side with mine. May have worked if I went with a lighter one.

I think you really need to try one though. Some people really like them. I think it's a personal thing and depends on how you sleep.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I used to have very intense something is coming to get me, and I can't move dreams. If I had one of those with one of these blankets I'd probably shit the bed.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wife got one, neither of us like it.

But the Great Danes use it and like it since it stays put, so it’s not a total loss.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Nope,did the research as a kid with them damn home made quilts.
We did as we were told and now that I am a grown old man its a lite blanket and one sheet.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The dog lays on my legs and feet at night, that's enough for me. Well, unless one of the cats decides that she has to lay on me. Nothing like waking up to a cat on your chest staring intently at your face.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cat weighs mine down too. I prefer two layers of PolarFleece blankets, which enables me to tailor how warm or cool I it want to be. One heavyweight and one lightweight.
My vote is give the weighted blanket a shot. If it does not work for you, sell or donate it to someone.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I've never slept better in my life until I tried one.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Love mine

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i think one would work for me if not too heavy. What are they weighted with?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i think one would work for me if not too heavy. What are they weighted with?

Usually glass or plastic beads. Some people DIY their own.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Interesting replies all around.
Thank you for the input. I think I will hold off for now.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Electric blanket for me, light and warm. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife has one, and loves it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
We call that frugal, 55 degree night temps and 3 serious wool blankets. Just picked up a goose down comforter last spring. Thought I’d like a bit of freedom. It’s working out nicely warm without weights who’d a thunk it.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
my wife swears by her 15lb blanket. I sleep really well without any extraneous materials.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post