SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanics: Sluggish turnover when starting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics: Sluggish turnover when starting? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
My car is a 14 Ford Explorer with 27k on the odometer. Starting a couple days ago it has been slow to turn over, taking an extra second or two when turning the key. It always turns over completely and I have noticed no dimming of the lights at all. Also when I turn the truck off it shows "battery saver mode" on the radio display.

I took it to Autozone and they said the battery checks fine but shows 0% charge, and the alternator and charging system shows okay a s well. There are also no loose connections to the battery or alternator.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Possible bad grounds. They can cause a lot of gremlins. Or bad insulation on a cable.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
bad battery, if the charging system is working

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
bad battery, if the charging system is working

Yeah, being a 2014 with original battery, this wouldn't surprise me.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the starter motor been turning the engine more slowly? Or is there a delay between when you hit the key and the starter begins to turn?

If the lights are staying up while the starter is turning, your battery is likely good.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Do you mean that the battery shows zero charge ie dead? That could indicate your generator is out. Or a belt? Alternator might test good but the belt could be slipping. Should be an easy fix.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try cleaning your battery terminals.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Corrosion on the terminals or bad battery would be my first guess.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Has the starter motor been turning the engine more slowly? Or is there a delay between when you hit the key and the starter begins to turn?

The starter motor runs slower, kind of like what happens sometimes when it's really cold.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If all of the wires are clean and tight (including on the solenoid and starter), then it might be the solenoid or starter.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
What's interesting to me is the fact that the radio is showing battery saver mode after shutting the car off, and that the battery is showing 0% on the tester.

Could the charging system be bad without it showing on the tester?

I'll hook it up to a battery charger when I get home as well and see if that changes how it reacts.

posted Hide Post
I don't know where the Tech was measuring the battery. If they tested across the "battery saver" disconnect, then they wouldn't see the battery's capacity.

The battery shouldn't test "fine" and "0% charge", so I'm not sure what they were reporting. They didn't appear to think that the battery or charging system was a problem though.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Being a 2014, is it still under warranty?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What do you mean 0% charge?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? If so test the battery and see what you get with the engine and everything turned off. A good fully charged battery should be 12.6 with the engine off.

With the engine running you should get a volt or two higher if it's charging properly.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I've learned to not trust the tests from the major parts stores. They've proven inaccurate more often than accurate for me, at least when it comes to batteries and alternators.

It sounds like a battery issue.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

3 days left thankfully. I already called the dealer but they can't bring it in for 2 weeks, so I figured I'd check here just in case.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

3 days left thankfully. I already called the dealer but they can't bring it in for 2 weeks, so I figured I'd check here just in case.

Sounds like battery to me.
If you got an appt on the books would they still honor the warranty?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My 3/2013 w/60k is beginning to do the same thing. Original battery. Nearly every person asked said the battery, while testing fine, would be the likely issue.

I'll likely see how long before it fails. Hopefully while on a date by a scenic lake during a full moon.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
What do you mean 0% charge?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? If so test the battery and see what you get with the engine and everything turned off. A good fully charged battery should be 12.6 with the engine off.

With the engine running you should get a volt or two higher if it's charging properly.

14-15 volts running. I would hope it's the battery. You were going to buy one soon anyway. If the starter is going bad that would account for slow starting and excessive amperage draw. So while cranking the system voltage might be low enough to trigger battery saver mode.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Is your truck a standard or automatic transmission? If a standard, it could be a loose or corroded connection on the clutch safety system... Had this problem on a ranger pickup & it was a real pain in the ass getting it diagnosed.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post