SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    " It is extremely important .. 600 mile... first service ... by an authorized Kawasaki dealer"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

" It is extremely important .. 600 mile... first service ... by an authorized Kawasaki dealer" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had vehicles, most notably HD, that asked for this and gave the service for free (included in the price, no doubt.) On others I negotiated for it. Toyota gave me 24 months of free service on a used Corolla. Call and ask.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
rideWV, its a KLX250SK.

The checklist in the owner's manual does not have valve clearance inspection until 7500 miles.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Standard in the industry. Designed to get your money. Change the oil, save your filter/oil receipt, done. They can't take your warranty away because you did the so called service yourself. All the dealer is going to do is change the oil/filter, do an extremely quick "visual inspection" and that's it. I do it myself. Only thing I pay for is tire changes (I carry my wheels in myself and new tires I purchased elsewhere) and valve adjustments.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
No way valves will need adjustment at 600 miles and if it did it wouldn’t be an inexpensive visit. I’m curious what the reason is s but I’m guessing for the dealer to make money. Somebody stated they didn’t know why people spend so much on vehicles then don’t want to pay for maintenance. I don’t want to waste money, that’s why. I can do 99% of what the dealer does. I know I’m putting in quality synthetic oil in (you have to trust the dealer) and unlike car dealers I’m not trusting a low paid employee who does only oil changes to remember to put my drain plug back in. I don’t have to worry about them taking “test drives” in my vehicle. I don’t have to worry about my oil filter being over tightened, parks being broken, paint being scratched, employees digging through my car pilfering things, getting ripped off on things that don’t need done (like $60 for an air filter replacement that takes 5 minutes). I could go on but I won’t.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
[list of services and checks]

Almost all of those are just quick visual checks.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Yes just checks. If they have to adjust something that's generally not included in the service, it's additional.

On some of the older bikes the first service WAS more important and involved doing more things such as initial valve adjustment after torquing the cylinder heads, torque steering head bearings, etc. The new stuff thankfully doesn't require nearly as much maintenance or as often.
I still think motorcycles require too much expensive (or time consuming) servicing. Can you imagine the outcry if Honda told Civic owners that the car has to go back to the dealer every 16,000 miles to have the valves adjusted and it involves 6 shop hours so expect a $800 bill? Or that your tires are prone to blow out if you run over a nail because we still use inner tubes?

KLX250 looks like a fun motorcycle, I know my XT250 is and it doesn't have quite the level of components or performance that yours does.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
much more than an oil change & valve clearance,
I've owned a lot of motorcycles, like a really big number. I challenge anyone to find me a Japanese motorcycle that has the requirement of a valve adjustment at the first service. Oil filter and inspection of various items. You can do it yourself and probably should. just make sure you can document it was done.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Yes just checks. If they have to adjust something that's generally not included in the service, it's additional.

On some of the older bikes the first service WAS more important and involved doing more things such as initial valve adjustment after torquing the cylinder heads, torque steering head bearings, etc. The new stuff thankfully doesn't require nearly as much maintenance or as often.
I still think motorcycles require too much expensive (or time consuming) servicing. Can you imagine the outcry if Honda told Civic owners that the car has to go back to the dealer every 16,000 miles to have the valves adjusted and it involves 6 shop hours so expect a $800 bill? Or that your tires are prone to blow out if you run over a nail because we still use inner tubes?

KLX250 looks like a fun motorcycle, I know my XT250 is and it doesn't have quite the level of components or performance that yours does.

LOLOLOLOL you should see what outboard engines for boats require. On a set of 225 verado's the annual OR 100 service, generally runs $2500 for a pair. The 300 hour service or every 3 years runs $3500-4000. Sadly, most of these motors never see 100 hours a year and they end up spending $2500 for 30-40 hours of usage a year!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think motorcycles require too much expensive (or time consuming) servicing

Seriously? I'm sure some exotics have issues, but your basic japanese 4 cylinder bike (like the suzuki GSXR's I race) has a very minimal factory maintenance schedule. Like oil and filter at an interval nobody would be concerned about and check the valves every 4 years. And for this you get a high performance engine that revs to the moon and outperforms most any car. The first service and every periodic major service on every car and truck I've ever owned was way more than bill for service at an equivalent point for a motorcycle. The only nonsense I see in the japanese motorcycle service lists of what I own is that they want the brake hoses/fluid replaced every 4 years which is excessive for a street bike. On the race bikes we do it every few months, but that's another story.
To jimmy123x don't you wish we could have the 2 stroke outboards back, I do...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I still think motorcycles require too much expensive (or time consuming) servicing

Seriously? I'm sure some exotics have issues, but your basic japanese 4 cylinder bike (like the suzuki GSXR's I race) has a very minimal factory maintenance schedule. Like oil and filter at an interval nobody would be concerned about and check the valves every 4 years. And for this you get a high performance engine that revs to the moon and outperforms most any car. The first service and every periodic major service on every car and truck I've ever owned was way more than bill for service at an equivalent point for a motorcycle. The only nonsense I see in the japanese motorcycle service lists of what I own is that they want the brake hoses/fluid replaced every 4 years which is excessive for a street bike. On the race bikes we do it every few months, but that's another story.
To jimmy123x don't you wish we could have the 2 stroke outboards back, I do...

No, the new 4 strokes run so flawlessly with so few issues. You hit the start button and they start in a few revolutions and idle perfectly. I don't have any issues with the ones I manage anymore, use rec 90 and stabilizer and cannot remember the last time I had an engine related issue. I'm not talking the opticrap or HDPI's. The verados and yamaha's have got it down now.

I don't miss the pump the primer bulb, engage the choke, turn over, turn over, pump the primer bulb again, and again, engage the choke, hope you didn't flood it, hope it starts. etc. etc. Oddly enough I miss the smell.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want to live in terror? Watch the odometer of your BMW approach the scheduled service mileage!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

Seriously? I'm sure some exotics have issues, but your basic japanese 4 cylinder bike (like the suzuki GSXR's I race) has a very minimal factory maintenance schedule. Like oil and filter at an interval nobody would be concerned about and check the valves every 4 years....

My non-high performance,2 cyl Honda Africa twin specs oil changes every 6,000 which is no big deal. BUT valve checks every 16,000 which is about once a year. 6 shop hours required. Crazy
expensive per mile.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My last new motorcycle is a 2014 Honda CB-1100. I may do that 1st oil change a tad early, never paid attention to any ‘valve adjustment’ early in life, ever.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post