SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    " It is extremely important .. 600 mile... first service ... by an authorized Kawasaki dealer"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

" It is extremely important .. 600 mile... first service ... by an authorized Kawasaki dealer" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
From the dual sport motorcycle owner's manual:

"It is extremely important at 600 miles that the owner have the initial maintenance service performed by an authorized Kawasaki dealer."

Why is it extremely important?

Does it somehow affect the factory warranty or the availability of optional extra cost extended warranty?

I really have no objection to taking to the dealer (an hour away, in much more populous central Florida) rather than a local independent service, except for current events.

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it's partly warranty but mostly so their trained techs can check tolerances after the initial break in.

A number of years ago, Yamaha R1 owners were given a fairly rigorous break in set of RPM's to follow for the first few hundred miles (I think)because the motors were so tightly built that they would be damaged by not doing as specified. Lo and behold, R1 owners that didn't follow the manual ended up with damaged motors.

Maybe the Kawi in your situation is of the same type of caution.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect they want to make sure the oil and filter are properly changed with correct products to get rid of any break-in chips that would shorten engine/transmission life down the road and this is their way of verifying that it is done. It's also an income producer for them.They may also look the machine over to make sure everything else is OK.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not a motorcycle guy, but I'd guess two things. First swap oil to get production and wear material out from oil so the oil isn't acting like sand paper on wear surfaces. Second would be to check valve adjustment. I use to service generators, those two reasons were why the first maintenance was really important on generators. Likely same thing for bikes? If it's valves you would hear them ticking or chattering, and out of adjustment valves can cause a whole assortment of problems.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From an automotive manufacturing standpoint, it's probably to look for 'infant mortality' type issues - There's a lot of little problems that come up in mfg & having a dealer network to check them is the best way to make sure they don't cause issues later.
I'm a fan of independent shops, but dealers are going to get information sooner.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my XMAX, it was an excuse to charge $230 for an oil change

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

An attempt to improve dealer profitability

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back in my automotive service department days, the manufacturer paid for this at a dealership and it was considered part of the warranty.
Even with that, I remember one idiot that drove his car 30,000 miles in the first year that never even raised the hood after driving it off the lot. The car came back on the back of a flat bed with an irate customer riding with the wrecker driver. He admitted seeing the red light but thought that was a suggestion to check the oil.
Apparently didn't read the owners manual either.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the dual sport motorcycle owner's manual:

"It is extremely important at 600 miles that the owner have the initial maintenance service performed by an authorized Kawasaki dealer."

Everybody says that, or something like it. You can't be forced to have this or any other service done at the dealer to maintain a warranty. I'm sure the Magnuson-Moss Act, which governs this, applies to motorcycles. I do think it would be prudent to have the dealer do it. It is probably little more than an oil/filter change and a visual inspection. How many independent, multi-make motorcycle repair shops are there, anyway?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Take out the break-in oil?

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

An attempt to improve dealer profitability

If the dealer does it, it's most likely done correctly. Nowadays, the dealer isn't much more expensive than an independent shop, who looks in the same labor book, charges the same hours as the dealer at $20 an hour less. At least with the dealer, if they screw up, they usually have deeper pockets AND you can go straight to the manufacturer and they'll step in and get it straightened out with the dealer so there's no bad publicity.

But yes, a 600 mile service could be critical......for valve adjustment, oil change, etc. Plus they might be able to spot a small problem at 600 miles and fix it before it becomes a big one.

Here's what I don't understand. Many people buy an expensive piece of equipment, then they don't want to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on how to maintain that equipment. They think they know better than the engineers who built it. I don't understand that mindset.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Not a motorcycle guy, but I'd guess two things. First swap oil to get production and wear material out from oil so the oil isn't acting like sand paper on wear surfaces. Second would be to check valve adjustment. I use to service generators, those two reasons were why the first maintenance was really important on generators. Likely same thing for bikes? If it's valves you would hear them ticking or chattering, and out of adjustment valves can cause a whole assortment of problems.

Actually, with OHC engines (Basically all MC's) the major issue with initial wear (and wear over time as well) is that the valves recede and get tight due to valve seat wear. This can lead to burnt valves and/or damaged seats requiring VERY Expensive repairs! While screw type adjusters can get loose if not properly set/torqued initially (and lead to 'noisy' valves), loose valves are much less of a problem as QC on modern High-Output MC engines (10K+ RPM redines in many cases) is necessarily VERY Good!

That being said, the initial service involves much more than an oil change & valve clearance, and is an opportunity to check a lot of things, including bearing play (steering stem, wheels, swingarm pivot), engine idle & throttle cable slack/adjustment, clutch engagement, drive chain slack/wear (if applicable), brake system wear/operation, suspension components, etc. It's an opportunity to identify unusual wear, leaks and verify the 'set-up' of the MC was done correctly! It also gives the dealer an opportunity to point out important PM items that may be neglected by the owner, e.g. Drive Chain adjustment/lubrication.

My experience is primarily w/ sportbikes, of which I've had several (though I'm not in Stickman's league!), and still have a few. I paid the dealer to do the initial service on my first sportbike, and since that experience, I've done ALL of my own work, including the initial service and multiple valve adjustments (at 5K mile intervals) on several new sportbikes I've owned. I'm a bit particular when it comes to service work and I know for a fact that I will do a better job than they will on my bikes! As an example, when it comes to valve clearance (I've had conversations w/ multiple Service Techs on this subject), the dealer will make sure they're all 'within spec', so where they might adjust four valves, I'll adjust twelve (on a 16V Engine) to get them all 'dead nuts' where I want them, which is towards the loose end of the spec! Cool

Sooo, all that said, while the initial service is 'extremely important', IMO having it done by the dealer is not paramount. As long as the work is done by a competent mechanic, you wont have any issues.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing it's partly warranty

Only from the standpoint that if you don't do the service and something happens then the warranty claim for that part could be denied,

However federal law prohibits any manufacturer from making a customer return to them for any work, or, using the manuf parts to maintain a warranty, if they do, they have to provide it free of charge.

So any qualified person or shop can do it, even you, if you have the list, just mark down the date you performed it and check off what you did. Same for an indy shop.
HD wants everyone to bring in a bike for the 1K service, first oil change, check stuff out, and the service is valid, but you don't have to go to them and drop $400.

Get a service manual and it will detail what's needed. If you can't do the work, then a qualifed shop or dealer.
Magnusson Moss Act

quote:
but mostly so their trained techs can check tolerances after the initial break in.

This is a valid service, however anyone including yourself can do this. It's just where you feel better about getting it done.

I do mine myself, have the SM, check it off, do my own oil and filter, but I like doing that stuff and have the tools. Although my butt no longer likes cold concrete, so I have a jack..

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
"It is extremely important at 600 miles that the owner have the initial maintenance service performed..." this is the important part.

This is the bit thrown in to steer profitable business to their dealer network....."by an authorized Kawasaki dealer."

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure your Kawasaki owners manual will list exactly what needs changed, adjusted, and checked for each service, including the first one. On most modern Japanese motorcycles the first service is basically an oil and filter change along with a number of "checks" all of which which you can do yourself. When I buy a new motorcycle I buy a couple oil filters as well keeping the receipt with the owners manual. I also use oil that meets or exceeds the spec in the correct viscosity keeping that receipt as well. In the back of the owners manual I note the date, mileage, of each service and exactly what was done. The idea is to have it in the case of a warranty dispute (which I've never had), and to show to a buyer when I sell the bike.
The only bike or UTV I've taken back to the dealer to do a first service was my Kawasaki Mule and only because there was a recall, so I took it back and while there since it was about due for the initial 20 hour service let them do it.

BTW what did you buy, Richard?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, the initial service involves much more than an oil change & valve clearance, and is an opportunity to check a lot of things, including bearing play (steering stem, wheels, swingarm pivot), engine idle & throttle cable slack/adjustment, clutch engagement, drive chain slack/wear (if applicable), brake system wear/operation, suspension components, etc. It's an opportunity to identify unusual wear, leaks and verify the 'set-up' of the MC was done correctly! It also gives the dealer an opportunity to point out important PM items that may be neglected by the owner, e.g. Drive Chain adjustment/lubrication.

One might think if this service is so important, then Kawasaki should pick up the tab for it as part of their warranty.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have a break in chip in it? Some snowmobiles reduce power until a set time when it either burns the chip out or is removed.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Kawasaki, but here's the Harley list of what get's checked on the first oil change. (I've always done this myself and never had a warranty issue.)

Inspect engine oil and filter
Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks
Inspect air cleaner and service as required
Check tire pressure and inspect tread
Check tightness of wheel spokes
Replace transmission lubricant
Check clutch adjustment
Check primary chain adjustment
Inspect rear belt and sprockets and adjust belt
Check, adjust, and lube throttle, brake enrichers and clutch controls
Inspect and lube jiffy stand
Inspect fuel valve, lines, and fittings for leaks
Check brake fluid levels and condition
Inspect brake pads and discs for wear
Check spark plugs
Check operation of electrical equipment & switches
Check & adjust engine idle speed
Adjust steering head bearings
Inspect shock absorbers
Check tightness of critical fasteners
Road test

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
95, yep it's basically a cursory walk around looking for loose bolts and leaks, 99% of it is visual. And yet with oil change you're north of $300 at the $150 an hour fee.

It should be part of the sale and a discount to bring it in for first oil change and you'd get more customers lots of car sales are going that way. It will make to other sales eventually.

Walk in and see the service fee board and you'd never buy one...

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The dealers and mechanics generally make out well on these "complete services" which may flat at two hours so run up to $200 or even more, PLUS the oil and filter. Kid changes the oil, snaps the throttle a couple times, maybe looks at the chain while walking around, and he's done in 30 minutes, and ready to start on the next one.

While picking up something at a Harley dealer a few years ago I witnessed quite a discussion between a customer and the stupid service manager. Seems they did the expensive first service on the guys bike. Above the service counter up on the wall was a large poster showing all the 42 different things that were included in a first service, the title was something to the effect "The First Service on Your Harley Davidson is a Lot More than an Oil Change, Here's What's Involved". And it itemized all the 42 things which were mostly just checks such as "inspect brake fluid level" which takes all of about 3 seconds, "check throttle action to ensure it works smoothly", which takes maybe 3 seconds, etc... then the cost which was almost $400 including Harley Davidson oil.

While the guy was complaining about the price the service manager was pointing above to all the "work" involved. Guy asked "how much labor are you charging me"? Answer was something like 2.5 hours. Customer says "You can't charge me 2.5 hours I've only been here not quite an hour and half!" Service guy stutters while trying to think and comes up with "that's because our techs are so good and fast they can to 2.5 hours of work in only 1.5 hours." I thought the customers head was going to explode it had turned from red to purple! As I took my part and left I heard him asking for the owner but I don't know how it was eventually resolved. LOL the mechanic should have not rolled the bike out when he was finished, instead just left it in the shop for another hour.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post