SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edited: Recommend an American flag pole
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edited: Recommend an American flag pole Login/Join 
posted
Edit:

I changed my mind and I want an inground flag pole. I think 20 ft will be a little tall. Maybe a 15-16 ft? What features do I want to look for? Aluminum? Telescopic? Any brands better than others?

I want to get a flag for the front of the house (I know, why dont I have one already).

Is there a typical size? Whats the best material? I would like to keep the cost below $60 for the flag. I still need a pole and mount. Any recommendations for the best place to buy?

I have a two story house with integral garage. I was planning on placing the flag above the garage and was thinking maybe 4x6? I want it to fit the house and not be ridiculously large or small.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I believe 3x5 is most used, but if you have the room a 4x6 would be nice. I need to replace mine. It currently has a cotton? one and it's looking faded. I will more than likely buy a nylon one like this. I guess I need to measure mine

https://www.amazon.com/Annin-F...g%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-6

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just replaced mine with a 3x5, got the last one HD had in stock.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Sometimes Lowe’s/Home Depot have a flag & pole/mount combo available. Flag is usually 3’x5’ and is nylon.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
If I’m tracking...you’re speaking of a flag that will be placed in a bracket, mounted to the house. For that application, a 3’x 5’ would probably be best. Our 4’x 6’ flag is at the top of a 30’ flagpole (there’s a 3 x 5 state flag below it). The one piece of advice I would add is to spend a few extra bucks on a swivel flagpole. It helps a lot when the wind comes up.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have an HOA check with them.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If you have an HOA check with them.

Change the HOA rules if so.

To the OP: I like 4x6 Annin flags, I’ll gladly send you one if you email me your address.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I recommend this one: https://www.united-states-flag...-4ft-6in-cotton.html. It is the correct government spec aspect ratio (1:1.9) and yet small enough for home use. It's only 20 bucks, too.

My current flag is slightly larger, but still the 1:1.9 ratio. I don't see it in their current catalog, though. The stock # for it is GSP3234 and it's 3' 6" x 6' 7.75" made of nylon. Don't remember what it cost, but was worth it. I am a purist and think if I'm going to fly a Flag it should meet the official specs.

I have an 8-foot rotating pole mounted at 45° on my garage (front of house) and the larger flag looks great.

This link has US-made government-spec flags in several sizes and materials: https://www.collinsflags.com/gspecus.cfm

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
3X5 if a pole kit attached to the side of the house, 4X6 if a 20' pole. Nylon lasts longer.

As to the HOA - yes change the rules or have your state legislators address flags.

Per our statues

55-115. HOMEOWNER’S ASSOCIATION — PROHIBITED CONDUCT.
(6) (a) No homeowner’s association may add, amend, or enforce any covenant, condition, or restriction in such a way that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting the display of:
(i) The flag of the United States of America;
(ii) The flag of the state of Idaho;
(iii) The POW/MIA flag; or
(iv) An official or replica flag of any branch of the United States armed forces.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Neither 3x5 (1:1.67) or 4x6 (1:1.5) is the official government spec ratio (1:1.9). A true US Flag is almost twice as wide as it is tall. It is one thing that is different from most other nation's flags.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember you need a light on it if you are gonna fly it at night.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Neither 3x5 (1:1.67) or 4x6 (1:1.5) is the official government spec ratio (1:1.9). A true US Flag is almost twice as wide as it is tall. It is one thing that is different from most other nation's flags.

flashguy

Many flag have a 1:2 ratio. Here’s the ratio listing for national flags. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...os_of_national_flags

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Many flag have a 1:2 ratio. Here’s the ratio listing for national flags. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...os_of_national_flags
Interesting. I did not realize there were so many 1:2 flags. There are very few 1:1.9 ones.

flashguy

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There are two types of countires in the world: those whose flags ratios are 1:1.9 and have landed men on the moon and everyone else.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Atlantic Flag and Pole.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Look up your congress critters office website.
Most offer a nice flag for a very reasonable price.
For example, here's the page to order from mine.

https://flagorder.house.gov/FlagOrder.aspx?ssdd=GA09

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atlantic flag and pole is 100 percent made in USA

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have a 4X6 flag on a 20' telescoping pole with the solar light from Titan Flagpoles - Made in USA (ID and MN). Pretty good deals right now.

https://flagpolefarm.com/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad someone started this post. Had a 3x5 outside my front door but the new alarm system triggered my phone every time the flag waved. Had to take it down... Looking for a pole now, thanks for the responses.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I have a 4X6 flag on a 20' telescoping pole with the solar light from Titan Flagpoles - Made in USA (ID and MN). Pretty good deals right now.

https://flagpolefarm.com/

The flagpole I bought from Atlantic was actually manufactured by Titan in Idaho