SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to remove old paint on concrete porch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove old paint on concrete porch Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I'm repainting my porch and need to remove the old paint. A lot of the paint was flaking but some is stuck really good. I pressure washed the porch and got some off but there is still a lot that didn't. The porch is concrete and some of the paint is 50 years old. I tried some paint stripper and that seemed to work ok. It will take forever to scrape the whole porch. My dad suggested I use a sander on the stuck paint but that will also take forever.

I'm thinking about using paint stripper and pressure washing instead of scraping and seeing how that does. Anyone have any ideas of a simpler way to get stuck paint off a concrete porch?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Beware of lead exposure.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If the concrete isn't too rough maybe an orbital floor sander would work

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear a proper respirator and follow precautions. Since you probably shoot firearms you do not need to increase your lead blood levels.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is with steel, not concrete. Try the pressure washer to remove the loose material. With metal, any old paint that remains would seem to have excellent adhesion, I'd just paint over it.

When we used paint stripper, we'd apply as directed & then cover with plastic sheeting to keep the chemicals from evaporating, keeping the stripper on the substrate as long as possible, then used a scraper to remove what came up.
More power washing to clean up surface.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
my ideas have already been mentioned.

I'd start first with a strong paint remover. Something N-Mp (N-Methylpyrrolidone) or stronger (like Methylene Chloride based). You'll sometimes find it called "Aircraft remover".

That should work on everything but the most stubborn stuff.

I'd use a diamond floor sander as last resort, only because I'm cheap and they're often costly to rent.

As was also mentioned. If the paint has been on there for 50 years, it should probably be considered lead-based, and respirator should definitely be used if any dust will be generated.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I've become a paint removal pro...my family owns a 115 year old Victorian bed and breakfast at the NJ shore...imagine the amount of paint on the place...layer upon layer in some places.

In my experience, carefully using a blow torch and scraper to remove the layers from all the ornate wood has been my go to paint removal method.

Now your surface material is concrete...if I were you, I'd give it a few passes with a blow torch...should peel right up.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the paint that's left is not too many coats and thick. Feather sand the edges so not to have abrupt transitions. Prime everything then repaint. Make sure the primer is one that's designed to be walked on. You'd be surprised how many aren't. An example.... kilz 2 is not for that purpose. Kilz Premium is.

Do not use oil on concrete

If it's adhered this long, chances are it will stay stuck for many more years

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I'm doing the same thing on my side porch. It has stone which is/was/kinda attached to the concrete slab. The previous owner painted it with tan/earth-colored epoxy paint about five years ago, and I have to get it off at least on most of the stones before I can clean and re-mortar them.

I tried both pressure washing and an orbital grinder. The best results came from the pressure washer, although it was a somewhat messy cleanup as chips and pieces of paint went everywhere. The grinder was less messy, but it took three times as long, and hard on the back.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Rent a sand blaster?

I've seen these used in LA on grafitee.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Rent a hot water pressure washer. Steam better yet. Be careful of the steam it'll burn the shit outta you.

I washed significant amounts of paint off a ag sprayer one day not knowing what I was doing. The heat will soften the paint like a blowtorch and the pressure wash does the rest.

It may not be perfect but it'll be better than hours of chemical fumes and a scraper.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have tried most methods listed.

Sand blasting was the most effective.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Don't use a torch. Heating concrete can cause an explosion due to the trapped moisture it may contain.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the torch tip. One of those things I would have never known.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Don't use a torch. Heating concrete can cause an explosion due to the trapped moisture it may contain.

Oh give me a break. He'd just heat the paint on the surface until it peels. The concrete won't explode.

Torch will make quick work of that job.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is a small porch an angle grinder with a wire wheel cup will get all the loose stuff off. I would then just repaint whatever is left on there.

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I would use a torch, wire brush on a grinder and even a hammer and chisel for heavy stuff.
If its real heavy over a large area, there is a tool that grinds down concrete level when edges wind up lifting. This tool would be a .last ditch effort though. I think its called a scupper.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Perfect is the enemy of the good. I'd use that metal cup brush in the drill. Clean and sweep good and put good coat of paint on it. Try and let the paint cure a couple extra days and it will wear longer.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Beware of lead exposure.
I'd like to echo this. Lead paint was banned in 1977. If it was painted before 1977 then purchase an EPA recognized lead test kit.

In oil & gas, we used to use a red primer that had lead in it so we can't just test the surface paint.

The reason I mention this is that a lot of the methods posted would make the lead airborne. If lead is not present, they're good methods.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you want to re-paint? I have concrete steps and porch that had multiple layers of paint. Went through the process of getting rid of it several years ago. Used everything mentioned here and maybe more (don't neglect the idea of a hammer and chisel; it took off the most the fastest where it was thick. Used a sacrificial 2" wood chisel with metal cap, because it needed to be fairly sharp to work). Much prefer the look of natural, and it is no maintenance. And, yes, it took forever, and a lot of work. But that's why I did it; I don't want to do it again (i.e., every time it needs painting).

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post