SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home PC Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home PC Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of prepsheriff
posted
My Dell Dimension 8400 gave up the ghost this week.I'm considering an All-in-One.
My PC use is pretty generic, browsing and purchasing. I do stream Netflix and Prime Video.
I'd appreciate some recommendations. I did get 14 Years out of my Dell, just as well, considering I was operating on XP.
Thanks in Advance Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prepsheriff,

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
Dell makes good stuff.

I would stay away from all in ones. If you decide you want a bigger screen ETC down the road its a challenge. Also hard to work on if something fails or you want to upgrade it.

Are you looking for a desktop or a laptop? Dell OptiPlex line is pretty OK for desktop stuff. If you get windows 10 I wouldn't go below 8GB for ram. Even though 4GB is fine its a RAM hog.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd look for a Dell refurb'd or New machine with an Intel i5 chip. Example 1 Example 2. You should be able to buy one nicely configured for >$400. Then I'd take my savings and invest in a very nice 24" or 27" monitor. The end result should leave you with a very nice machine for a minimal investment. I did the same thing not too long ago, except I splurged and bought a 27". Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Asus these days. I agree, stick to a separate box. Apple makes nice all in ones but they are pricey.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My last three pc's have been from Velocity Micro and they have all been outstanding.

Pass them down to my kids when I upgrade and they are all still going strong.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
The refurbs bigdeal posted look solid. If you want new, give this desktop a look. Keyboard and mouse included, no monitor or speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073...&colid=1QYUFSP22SWTL

Laptop with 256 SSD:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L...&colid=1QYUFSP22SWTL

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dell make good gear - if you are going for a laptop do not under any circumstance go with Asus as they have a keyboard problem that they have neglected for a long time . If u google "Asus keyboard problem " you will get over 600 thousand complaints . I have 2 Asus laptops and both their keyboards do not work correctly .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a new (slightly used) computer from Dell outlet. Can't tell it was ever used at all. Got a $2k computer for $1,100. There are plenty of coupons and promos available to use there too, they often times are not listed, but places like edealinfo can give you the coupon codes.

As others have said, I'd stay away from all-in-ones, personally I prefer PCs, every laptop I've ever had had problems.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the responses!!! Gives me a pathway to work with. Dell 8400 sat on the floor for 14 years, dust collector, hence my thoughts on going with AIO. I've been on the Dell refurbished webpage,may lurk around there and the Velocity Micro, going to check them out, never heard of them.All of the responses have been helpful Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Consider a PC with an AMD APU.

Nice integrated graphics for all but CAD or gaming, no video card needed.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Here's where I'm at.....thoughts?

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love the little Intel NUCs. The newest NUC Skull Island model is pretty sweet, and tiny.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Here's where I'm at.....thoughts?
That should do what you need it to do very well. Now find yourself a nice big monitor to go along with it. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Dell laptop with docking station.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait for Dell's Black Friday sale. That's what I'm waiting on. My old desktop from 2004 is about to give up the ghost. I've already replaced the hard drive twice, I think it's time. I still like Vista though. Too bad I can't keep it.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M600 about 18 months ago for the same use as you. It's connected to my TV and does everything I need and it's smaller than my blu ray player.
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/...ny/p/11TC1MTM60010G9

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
IMO stay away from AiO.
First define what is the purpose and use you will give your machine and then concentrate on what is the most critical resource you need to focus on. Usually, the basics are RAM, CPU, video card and storage capacity/speed.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
AIO's

Plus List:
* Convenient footprint aka taking up less space
* IF you do get one it MUST be a TOUCH SCREEN for ease of use
* Works as well as any other similarly equipped computer

Minus List:
* Is limited on upgrades due to lack of internal space.
* Will be limited to med to lower power CPU's due to power requirements.
* Harder to repair due to a more complex internal design.
* Can't add any internal cards.

Note: One of my computers is an AIO and I use the crap out of it > HOWEVER I upgraded from the I5 to an I7 CPU (S low TDP aka power model too) and it will overheat on heavy graphics.
It is a Intel Gen3 I-7 which like all CPU's of the past will run hotter than successors.

AIO's are all about the footprint and lack of wires everywhere.

Still very useful but I may design/build something similar with a Touch Screen with a NUC attached on the back.

AIO's are fine but know their life may be less than others due to the lack of "upgradeability" but anything Intel Gen 7 or 8 should do very well.

YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get, consider an SSD boot drive. Night and day different than booting from a spinning HDD. I upgraded my Dell XPS a couple of months ago and it boots in about 10 seconds and runs very fast.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I too went to the same source as the last couple times, Dell refurb/return sites. In fairness ever other experience has been positive, this one a nightmare.

After running just long enough (say, three weeks)to allow me to upgrade OS to Pro, load every app and data file from prior PC, etc. it died.

Warranty return process has been completed now 4 times, just arrived AGAIN yesterday. So far their solutions have been reinstalling OS, replacing motherboard, replacing power supply and one other non-specific repair process. I got no love when explaining in my last interaction how ridiculous this was and they needed to ship a new box.

I've plugged it up again and will let it run a week or so before wasting time installing everything again. See if I get the amber power button of death yet again.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post