SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shopping for a UTV - Need Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping for a UTV - Need Advice Login/Join 
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
For my money you can't beat the Kubota RTV900. I like the hydrostatic drive. Mine has the metal roof and factory tip out windshield. The hydraulic dump is the cat's ass for dumping and going from the drivers seat. The hydraulics can be used to power accessory items like a log splitter. Like others have said it's no speed demon but for pure utility value it can't be beat.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What year Kent. How many miles? Did you buy new?

Stiab, I would like to more more on yours too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hydraulics can be used to power accessory items like a log splitter.

Be careful with this. The RTV900 and RTV1100 came with aux couplers on the back of the machine that the hydraulic dump circuit plugs into. This is set up for momentary hydraulic functions only as it is powered off of the charge pump for the hydrostatic transmission. It does not have the cooling capacity to operate continuous use tools and implements like a wood splitter or most other hydraulic tools. The transmission is cooled when the machine is moving which isn't happening when running a tool like that and even if it were moving and running a tool, the cooling capacity isn't there to do both.

However, you can have full functioning hydraulics. The factory "Turf" model came with a seperate aux circuit with it's own reservoir, pump and cooling system. It is easily identified by having 4 hydraulic couplers on the rear of the machine. You could also add this hydraulic package as an add on to the machines that didn't have this. It will give you 5 gpm 2,000 psi. This would power a wood splitter, other hyd tools like post drivers, hydraulic hammers, hydraulic saws etc.

The current RTV-X series do not have these couplers on the rear of the machine but you can still add the aux hyd circuit.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

I have been watching this with great interest.

The Wife and I will be leaving Hawaii permanently for Texas Hill Country.

We plan on having enough acres so we can have a shooting range.

We will NEED a UTV.

We want one with 4 seats and bed.

Accessories will be needed as I just made 70.

We are leaving Hawaii because things have Changed greatly in the past 20 years.

Not to mention the Rabidly Anti 2A climate.

Latest proposal in the legislature is guns can be confiscated if "you are deemed a Danger"

WITHOUT due process.

Majority of gun owners either Don't Care or Don't Vote their guns.

Wife has family in Texas who are waiting for us.

We hope to be in Texas by end of summer.

Hoping to meet forum members and make new gun friends.

Sorry if I got OT.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross: Is the gas engine made by Kubota? CVT Transmission?
How is it with two adults in it for performance?

Since I bought my RTV 500 new in 2010 (no used ones available, people are keeping them) they have come out with an RTV 400 with a CVT trans, but the 500 comes with what they call a Variable Hydro Transmission, which has no belts IIRC. I believe this is considered the better of the two transmissions.

Always assumed Kubota made the engine themselves, since they are such a large and innovative organization, but can't say for sure. It will pull myself and my brother (two really big guys) and all our hunting gear plus all the regular tools/gear I keep in it up a very steep hill on my property that is not easy to walk up. And coming down you never need to hit brakes with engine/trans breaking in low range.

I have determined that it does not do as well in the snow as I would like, but that is a factor of the non-aggressive tires on mine. The treads immediately fill up with snow. A friend has the tractor type tread on his and he says it does well in the snow. Of course, it doesn't snow much at my place.

Also, Kubota had a zero interest rate for 60 months, not sure if that is still offered. Instead of dragging deer I now put them on a carrier at the rear hitch mount, the RTV 500 also has a front hitch mount that I use with rope for help in felling trees, etc.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Kubota makes the 2 cylinder engine in the RTV500. The RTV400 is a single cylinder engine made by Subaru.

If you are ever planning on taking your UTV above 5,000 feet, put the RTV500 out of your mind. It has a cam in it with the lobes on both sides of the cam. Because of this the engine will not run at high altitudes.

Hydro transmissions give you dynamic braking when going down hill. A CVT drive free wheels on a slope. The way to engage engine braking on a CVT drive is to depress the accelerator which engages the transmission, very counter-intuitive. Or you can use the brakes Smile

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stiab, the thing about that the 500cc is my dad has an old smaller jd riding mower with a 15hp Kawasaki engine. Same hp as the 500cc RTV? Eek
Makes me nervous.

Also makes other models and manufacturer's more of an option at their price point I suppose.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Both the RTV400 and RTV500 are 16 hp. Doesn't sound like much but they are no slouch. 2 speed tranny helps. I've got a video of the 400 pulling a sled against a competitor. The 400 smokes it until the 500 hooks on to the competitor with the sled behind it and pulls away Big Grin

Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I bought a Polaris Ranger UTV in diesel about 6 years ago and never looked back. No matter how cold once or twice on glow plug knob and off she goes. I like the payload and the tow numbers also price not that bad but still pricey. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
I just built up a Polaris Ranger 500 EFI mid size for my brother. It has all the attributes that you wanted however, the bed is not so large. He uses it on a mountainous ranch and it is a workhorse. Easy maintenance and parts are readily available for upgrades.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I ended up trading and selling our two atv's for a nice, lightly used 2007 Polaris XP700 Ranger.

I really wanted a Kubota but at this point it was not in the cards.

The owner took one of my Can Am atv's in trade and I sold the other one. In doing so we end up almost a wash for this nice Ranger.

I need to replace a CV boot with a tear in it. So have not really been using it until that happens. Should be with in a week or two.

Going to add a set of Led lights on top that can be rotated. And add an Aftermaket plastic top. She also needs set of tires. The tread looks new but there is a bunch of cracking related to the sun I am sure.

So I need some tire recommendation.

Rears are 26x11/12
Fronts are 26x8/12

I do not need the most agressive off road tire. I will use in snow and some offroad. Not crazy internet type stuff. Will also use on the hiway and gravel type road. How about some suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We are still looking for a deal on UTV, but we decided on the Polaris XP900, it is a great mix of work/play. If I were you I would get a Kawasaki Mule and not look back.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had a Mule now Polaris mid-size 500 UTV which I like better. It's in your price range and works well. No problems, runs fast enough 40+ mph, steers so light no power steering is needed. Polaris probably sells more UTV's than anyone for a reason.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
ridewv, we got one see my post a couple above. Looking for tire recommendations. Thx

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We've had a couple kubotas on the ranch. First an RTV900, now the RTV1120. They are particularly appropriate here with the hydrostatic transmission. The have taught the guys (and the kids) to be gentle with the throttle in low gear (or 2nd in the older three speed models) bombing allow at full throttle and abruptly getting of the pedal will just about launch you over the dash. The ranch does not have a lot of flat ground and some of it is very steep. The hydrostatic transmission is perfect for that. Having had a Kawasaki diesel Mule, the way I describe the difference is that the Mule is a quad pickup built by a toy company while the RTV series is a quad pickup built by a tractor company. The guys run the legs off of whatever UTV the are in and we have had some maintenance issues with the Kubota. The guy who handles our maintenance says more of his customers run Polaris rigs and they seem to do a little better mechanically. I went and test drove one and they were nice, but while I'd be happy with one, I wouldn't be comfortable turning our employees loose with one on our terrain.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
We are still looking for a deal on UTV, but we decided on the Polaris XP900, it is a great mix of work/play. If I were you I would get a Kawasaki Mule and not look back.

Love my XP900 it plows a lot of snow around here.
The plow disconnects in a minute and I'm ready to take it out on the frozen lake for ice fishing or trail riding. I considered buying tracks for it (thanks BRL)but I would have had to buy a new trailer for the extra width. Just decided it wasn't worth all the investment for tracks when I seem to get where I need to go without them.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. any of you buy the Greenball tires at Costco. I am going to need tires sooner than later due to cracking issues.