SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retrieving data from non powering Ipod nano
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retrieving data from non powering Ipod nano Login/Join 
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted
I have an Ipod Nano Gen 5 that will no longer power on. I had it on the boat connected to a usb cable supplying music. Someone dripped water on it right at the connector and it's screwed. The unit was not fully synced to Itunes so it was not backed up.

I took it to a mall store and they tried to wipe the connectors with alcohol to clean it but that did not work. Is there someone I can send this to or where to look to possibly break this thing open and retrieve the chip that contains the data?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Have you tried leaving in a ziplock bag full of rice for a couple of days?
Rice should suck the humidity out of the device. If the iPod did not fry itself it might resurrect it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There are places that do that sort of thing, buy my understanding is that it will most likely cost thousands of dollars.

How important is the data on the device?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but this usually means you are hosed. I can't see how the music on this thing would justify the cost of a data recovery service.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the rice trick - not expensive , and you can use the rice as a snack later .
bext .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I was referred to a place in CA that does the retrieval. They'll ship it and look at it for free but I was quoted a range of $700 - $1500. So time to look for another Ipod nano and start over again. I'll give the current one a few more days to miraculously same back to life but I won't be holding my breath.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used this successfully on other electronic devices (an expensive calculator) but not on a nano. It may be worth trying.
Alternate brief but complete soakings in isopropyl alcohol and Distilled water. Maybe 5 min per soak, with some agitation. 3 or 4 alternations.
Finish with 3 cycles of just the distilled water. Then thoroughly dry, like over a heat vent for a day or left in a warm place with lots of ventilation or a fan.

The alcohol dissolves contaminants that may now be causing shorts and the distilled water helps dilute them and wash them away. Distilled (pure) water is non-conductive, so it won't cause shorts.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I have used this successfully on other electronic devices (an expensive calculator) but not on a nano. It may be worth trying.
Alternate brief but complete soakings in isopropyl alcohol and Distilled water. Maybe 5 min per soak, with some agitation. 3 or 4 alternations.
Finish with 3 cycles of just the distilled water. Then thoroughly dry, like over a heat vent for a day or left in a warm place with lots of ventilation or a fan.

The alcohol dissolves contaminants that may now be causing shorts and the distilled water helps dilute them and wash them away. Distilled (pure) water is non-conductive, so it won't cause shorts.

Good last resort. I think you are at this point, unfortunately.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the opposite problem. I-Tunes has blown its mind on my computer as part of a partial hard drive failure. The result is that I have lost my painfully ripped music, nearly 500 CDs in Apple Lossless.

I have started over ripping.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post