SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sen Thom Tillis collapses during race // update: doing well. appears to have been dehydration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sen Thom Tillis collapses during race // update: doing well. appears to have been dehydration Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
Sen Tillis (R) collapses during DC race, gets CPR, taken away in ambulance

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics...ses-dc-race-47458597

saw another report that he later was awake in the hospital

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-during-dc-race.html

Sen. Thom Tillis collapsed during a Washington, D.C. race Wednesday morning and was taken away in an ambulance after reportedly receiving CPR.

Tillis, R-N.C., at first appeared unconscious but was revived and seen breathing as he left the scene.

A source told Fox News that Tillis was awake at the hospital and it appeared he had suffered from dehydration.

update: Tillis doing well. Appears to have been dehydration.

There’s now some debate as to whether full CPR was given, or “rescue breathing” was administered

http://hotair.com/archives/201...ed-race-revived-cpr/

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope it's something minor.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m often confused when I read about someone’s receiving CPR.

If someone collapsed due to dehydration, his heart was probably still beating and he was probably still breathing or otherwise it wouldn’t have been “just” a minor incident. All the instruction I’ve received on CPR was that it wasn’t appropriate if someone has a pulse (and I would assume CPR could be worse than useless if someone’s heart is beating). Then there are all reports of someone who was shot receiving CPR. The head of the emergency department of a major trauma center confirmed to me that CPR isn’t going to help then either.

Do we have any (real) authorities who disagree to either or both?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
at the two mile mark, of a three mile bike race? Hard to even fathom that the race did it to him. Impossible to imagine that is dehydrated him as claimed.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Hard to even fathom that the race did it to him.

He could have started the race dehydrated... I know sometimes when I travel its easy to go hours and hours without drinking the proper / usual amount of water.

Sounds like he may not have adequately PRE-hydrated.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post