SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone won’t go to landscape display mode – Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone won’t go to landscape display mode – Help! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I have an iPhone X, running iOS 11.4.1. I opened SigForum with Safari this morning, and turned the iPhone to a horizontal position to get the landscape display.

But oddly, the left half of the screen displayed “bookmarks” obscuring the SigForum display. Tried for ten minutes to get rid of the “bookmarks” panel, with no success. Turning the iPhone to a vertical position produced a normal portrait display, but every time I turned it to the horizontal position, the miserable “bookmarks” panel reasserted itself.

Couldn’t find anything in “Settings” that looked promising, so I closed all apps and powered-down the iPhone, then restarted it. Then I opened SigForum in Safari, then turned the iPhone on its side. But the display failed to switch from portrait to landscape display. Checking the web, this looked promising:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204547

In “Control Center”, “Portrait Lock” was “Off”, but to be sure, I toggled it On, then Off. Powered-down the phone, restarted, and opened SigForum in Safari. But still, no landscape display.

Out of ideas, NEED ADVICE!

Update – After ten minutes or so, landscape mode returned for no apparent reason. But the miserable Bookmarks panel was back. Found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6556996

Fooling around for another ten minutes, the Bookmarks panel is gone, and all is back to normal. An hour wasted.

Last week, I sold all of my AAPL stock. Tim Cook is smarter than hell, but he’s no Steve Jobs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Out of ideas, NEED ADVICE!

Buy a OnePlus Six.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like to do a force re-start as the first step instead of just powering down.

The force restart on the X requires you to quickly press vol up, vol down, then press and hold the power button 10 seconds.

Sometimes it helps fix a bug.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Are you saying the normal function isn't working... of scrolling up on the page to reveal the menu bar and touching the bookmark icon to toggle the bookmarks on and off?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last week, I sold all of my AAPL stock.

LOLz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Are you saying the normal function isn't working... of scrolling up on the page to reveal the menu bar and touching the bookmark icon to toggle the bookmarks on and off?

It’s visible now, but it wasn’t while I was having the problem. Something was definitely hosed. E.g., wouldn’t go into landscape view even though Portrait Lock was off.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I like to do a force re-start as the first step instead of just powering down.

The force restart on the X requires you to quickly press vol up, vol down, then press and hold the power button 10 seconds.

Sometimes it helps fix a bug.

Thanks, didn’t know of that.

Serious about crackers

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It is irritating, but as mentioned, just scroll up until you can see the address bar, and click on the blue bookmarks icon to the left of the address window. I wish there were some way to disable that bookmarks menu thing permanently.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post