SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headlight restoration -- What's the best kits or methods?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlight restoration -- What's the best kits or methods? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I know there's some serious car nuts on SF. So this has to be a good place to ask for some guidance on the best kits for cleaning up the hazy headlights on my new-to-me 20 year old MB e430. I see some that use wet sanding, and then polishes. Anyone tried these? Too extreme? Any brands to avoid, or embrace? Thanks all!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of them generally work. The question is, what then? You’ve now removed the UV protection, so they will haze again and faster. I know blue magic makes a sealer, some will clear coat, and there products like lamin-x.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I tried the Wipe-nu. It only wiped $20.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Somebody told me that toothpaste does a fine job. I have no idea whether that's fact or fiction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but I've heard that tooth paste works as a cheap option.
Edit: I see V-Tail beat me by 1 Minute. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm not sold on the idea. The lenses are plastic with a scratch-resistant coating. Polishing may temporarily make them better, but it also removes some more of the protective coating. Thy'll get scratched and fuzzy quicker after every time you polish.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
OEM? Looking at parts brings back good memories ...

Why would these be "Not DOT Approved"?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Merced...year=1998&m=20&e=632

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I just use bar keepers friend once a year or so.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
I did mine for a few years. 1000 grit wet-dry followed by 2000 grit wet-dry. Mist with water to sand them wet.

Finish with a liquid cleaner/wax.

Worked less and less effective. This year spent about $80 for a replacement set of light housings on Amazon. Money well allocated.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There are tons of YouTube videos. Be careful. Some of those Youtubers give bad advice that yields very short term results, then your headlamps go back to their previous bad condition and sometimes even worse condition.

If yours are really bad and you want to keep the car then you'd best source new replacements. Shop around. If you want to get rid of the car then any short term "fix" will do.

Personally I'd buy new ones.

Lexan would probably have been a better choice by the manufacturers than this plastic crap. Maybe.

Check out this video. Skip the first part, the Meguires products seem worth trying. Scotty may seem a little odd, or actually is, and sometimes is full of crap, but apparently he has an Emmy award for broadcasting. Who knew?

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I’d stick to one of the better brands like Meguiars or Mothers. I used one of them, don’t remember which one, and got great results. Was easy to do and made a huge difference. Good luck!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've used a 3M kit from W*M included some extremely fine abrasive discs on a drill. It did a good job. But you'll be back at it every year or so. Be sure you mask off the surrounding paint it takes but a second to burn through the paint, no matter the method you choose.

If you intend to keep the car long term, bite the bullet and get new covers. I found some on EBay that were much less expensive than OEM. Not MB though and for an older vehicle.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Meguires Scratch X or Poor Boys SSR 2.5 with an orange pad on my polisher. I start art 1 ro spread then bump to 5 and it gets it all clean.

Key is to either finish with a good wax or buy some clear coat spray so they don't just oxidize all over again

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two basic types of damage to the plastic/plexiglass/lexan/perspex headlight covers; crazing and surface scratching and pitting. In most cases, it's the plastic that's crazed, not the surface, and anything that's done is a temporary treatment, at best.

While it is possible to buff out surface damage, it takes more than most simple kits provide, and it takes a lot more time and effort than most people are willing to give.

Removing surface damage requires a successive series of abrasives, each one removing the damage caused by the previous, until the final grit is so fine that it is removed through buffing and polishing compound. Properly done, this takes a long time (a number of hours). It's best done by hand, not with a drill or buffing machine as the speeds create heat in the plastic which further leads to crazing and damage, as well as warping and distortion. Even a very low speed can cause damage.

Crazing involves cracks in the plastic, often thousands of minor cracks which cloud the plastic and reduce transparency. These cannot be buffed out.

Some systems give the illusion that the plastic is clearer by placing a topical chemical on the lens. This can be done just as easily with pledge furniture polish as any of the more expensive products, but does nothing more than hide damage. Any perceived benefit is an illusion

If a lens is crazed, it needs to be replaced.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad had good results wet sanding, polish, and finished up with clear coat.
But, that's on his beater Silverado, not a nice MB.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15309 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
No, toothpaste doesn't work It made a minor difference for a few days.
The 3M kit has worked well for me and I've done it for a few others. Must follow with the sealant. Yes, you'll need to repeat it after some time. It's the nature of plastic.

Replacing the lens isn't an option if they're very expensive, or if you can't get new ones anymore. On my car, you have to pull the entire front bumper to replace them. No thanks.

Damn, I miss glass lenses, The minor increase in "safety" and weight savings with plastic lenses isn't worth the light reduction to me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the 3m kit. Pretty happy with the results versus amount of effort. No idea about the long term impact(s) as the untreated lenses would just get worse as well. I really don't see a downside.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I use the Mother's kit with the Powerball attachment for a drill. Was easy to do without killing my arms for the rest of the day.
I get at least a full year, sometimes longer. Usually takes less than an hour from start to finish, and the results are really noticeable when driving at night.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Try WD40.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Polish them with this: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiar...ight+restoration+kit

Then coat them after you’re done and then every 6 months with this: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiar...ight+restoration+kit

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post