SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Many pensions are on the edge of disaster
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Many pensions are on the edge of disaster Login/Join 
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anything for the precious state workers, most of whom work for the state because they are too stupid and too lazy for the private sector.

Well thank the Baby Jesus the private sector is free of lazy and incompetent people.

It's good that morons can be deposited in goobermint jobz so the private sector can function unencumbered by shiftless half-wits.

The reality is that we as a species weren't really expected nor intended to live into our 90s and 100's. With medical technology, medication and surgery, our lives have been extended.

Unpleasant Fact #1: Social Security and Pension plans were created before metoprolol or pacemakers or joint replacements.

Unpleasant Fact #2: Economic cold hard facts are that wages for middle-class have flat-lined for over 50 years AND our manufacturing industry has been gutted for 30 years and, along with it, good paying jobs, so 401K plans aren't the solution either.

Unpleasant Fact #3: Declining birth rates, aging of the boomers, mean there is a demographic shitstorm which will be upon us shortly. There will be lot of dependent, poor elderly people who require round-the-clock nursing care. That might even include you.

Unpleasant Fact #4: there is no avoiding facts 1-3 (unless you plan to live in a log-cabin as a hermit.....until you die of old-age)

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Public defined benefit pension systems need to be eliminated. They should be forced to switch to defined contribution systems like the rest of us.

My fire district was the first in the nation to do so. The union has spent a boatload of money to try to elect people to undo that!
BTW ... it's going great.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fire district was the first in the nation to do so. The union has spent a boatload of money to try to elect people to undo that!

how goes the recruitment for new fire-fighters?

Fire-fighters enjoy a much lower life-expectancy. They are more likely to die earlier in life. If all you do is turn fire-fighting into just another job, your going to get recruits who will view it as just another job.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fact #4: there is no avoiding facts 1-3 (unless you plan to live in a log-cabin as a hermit.....until you die of old-age)

That's a winner!!! Hope to have a cabin soon! Smile

Company is all lined up...

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
No surprise there. They will continually ratchet down pension payouts as thry are not guaranteed. If I werr a worker in any sort of a pension i would take thr lumpsum payout or go self directed from the start if it were an option.

I don't have one concern about my pension from the State of Utah. Zero, zilch, nada. Started collecting it at age 43 and hope I live to be about 110 and my wife lives to 120 (she'll get 70% even after I croak).

Unless Utah goes broke. Then youll have concerns. Currently Utah is ranked as a "D" which is below the standard deviation. All of this has a snowball effect to a company or state.

If a pension, state or company, gets upsidedown its usually because:

-Miscalculation of longevity
-bad investment returns
-lowered revenue

So what does Utah or a company have to do? They have to make up that revenue either by cutting the budget or raising taxes/prices. If you raise retail prices too high people dont buy your services, in the case of a state people will move away, much like in CA. Cut the budget too low and people quit using services or living in the state as well because something else is suffering. So while you may not have a concern it is a very slippery slope. Bottom line you dont want to get in the hole with pensions with any company or state as it is exponentially harder to get out.

Here is the report that showed utah state pension as a "D".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...GhRCPHqqSR-2hR-d5wKg

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a pension, state or company, gets upsidedown its usually because:

-Miscalculation of longevity
-bad investment returns
-lowered revenue

Correct except for one detail, fraud and gross mismanagement. Remember Jimmy Hoffa?.
Having your own self directed pension is no picnic either with all the governmental regs. You have to be knowledgeable concerning investments and pay lots of money to accountants and various financial folks to comply with the IRS guidelines.

A good friend of mine and his wife are retired LEOs from Florida. I asked about their pension plan. They said we are in fine shape because sadly the life expectancy of retired cops is much lower than the average Joe. Nevertheless they both still work teaching firearms fundamentals to the general public.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:...Well thank the Baby Jesus the private sector is free of lazy and incompetent people...

The private sector is not free of lazy and incompetent people. But the dynamics of the private sector do a much better job of getting productivity or moving them along than does the public sector.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Houston is already upside down big time on pensions. As is typical with big cities run by Dhimo-c-RATS, they've pissed away the money AND over-promised benefits. So now they're asking to bypass the required referendum on issuance of bonds and issue $1B in city bonds to partially fund the shortfall.

It's just the reality of how it works. Pensions are a Ponzi scheme funded by the taxpayers. Every gov't employee is eventually going to have to accept a defined contribution plan that the rest of us have had to deal with for the last 30+ years.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Anything for the precious state workers, most of whom work for the state because they are too stupid and too lazy for the private sector.

AWESOME stereotype. Why not say something bad about gun owners? Maybe Jews?

I left an $70,000 a year job in the private sector to police full time for half that. And that was AFTER working both jobs full time for about six years.

Again, awesome stereotype you have going on there. You should be proud.

True, but both are true. I left 30 years in the private sector, for my new job in the public sector, so I'm no stranger to hard work, and nothing has changed for me in that dept. in this new environment. Pay cut ? Of course, but the stability is welcome at this point in my life. I've seen some good people in the Civil Service ranks as well when I was contracting for DoD, but more often than not in THAT environment, the PP is more or less correct. Where I work now in a public sector job, because the management and employees are mostly from the private sector, the credentials, work ethic, and high quality of management and supervision is extremely nice to have, though very unusual for a state job. Most everyone in this organization works hard with a high level of competence, and them some. It's a very unusual combination.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

I work 10-13 hours a day. Roll Eyes

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

That happens here too. Their pension is based off of 70% of what they made in their last year, so the fire and police give the guy thats retiring a million hours of OT. And say their salary was $100k, they're getting more than that from their pension, then some are even going back to work for a different municipality and make another salary......ridiculous.

Another salary, lol. If I can stomach this liberal cesspool for another few years I'll leave with two pensions under my belt. That really oughta twist up your panties.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:

Fire-fighters enjoy a much lower life-expectancy. They are more likely to die earlier in life. If all you do is turn fire-fighting into just another job, your going to get recruits who will view it as just another job.

I googled the life expectancy of police/fire fighters, there were a variety of hits. Here is an excerpt of one, and the source.
quote:
By Alicia H. Munnell
At a recent meeting, a colleague asserted – with great assurance – that we need very different pension plans for different types of workers, because firefighters die two years after they retire while teachers live for 20 years....

...my question was, if they are not disabled or killed on the job, do police and firefighters have longer or shorter life expectancies than other public sector workers? In other words, if a policeman or firefighter survived to, say, age 60, would they be expected to have a longer or shorter life expectancy from that point on?...

....We had on hand actuarial reports for police and fire and other groups of public employees for Ohio, Nevada, South Carolina, New York, California, and the District of Columbia and for Dallas police and fire. All of these plans use a version of the RP 2000 mortality tables created by the Society of Actuaries....

...The results show very little difference at age 60 in the life expectancy of police and fire as compared with other public employees. The average life expectancy at age 60 for police and firefighters was 24 years for men and 26 years for women. For non-police and fire, the comparable figures were 25 years for men and 27 years for women – just one year longer! And the pattern was quite consistent across states and localities.
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/e...efighters-die-young/

My neighbor was both a policeman and a firefighter. Worked 20 years for the city, retired at age 50, at 90% of his highest three years pay, doing quite well these days.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The private sector is not free of lazy and incompetent people. But the dynamics of the private sector do a much better job of getting productivity or moving them along than does the public sector.

whereupon those lazy and/or incompetent people will eventually find jobs.....in the private sector again, albeit with different employers.

The public sector is not some island of misfit employees where refugees from the private sector end up.

quote:

I googled the life expectancy of police/fire fighters, there were a variety of hits. Here is an excerpt of one.

The "article" is an opinion piece comparing the life expectancy of firefighters to other public employees upon reaching the age of 60.

There is quite a few issues with said piece. First, it is looking at public employees who reach age 60. It is assuming the same number of firefighters reach 60, per capita, as do other public employees.

what would happen if we tracked firefighters and other public employees from the beginning of their careers? Would the same percentage of firefighters reach age 60 as other public employees?

It also doesn't delve in quality of life, prevalence of chronic illness, severity of illness, etc.

For example are other public employees on the same types or amounts of medication as firefighters?

Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:

I googled the life expectancy of police/fire fighters, there were a variety of hits. Here is an excerpt of one, and the source.
quote:
By Alicia H. Munnell
At a recent meeting, a colleague asserted – with great assurance – that we need very different pension plans for different types of workers, because firefighters die two years after they retire while teachers live for 20 years....

...my question was, if they are not disabled or killed on the job, do police and firefighters have longer or shorter life expectancies than other public sector workers? In other words, if a policeman or firefighter survived to, say, age 60, would they be expected to have a longer or shorter life expectancy from that point on?...

....We had on hand actuarial reports for police and fire and other groups of public employees for Ohio, Nevada, South Carolina, New York, California, and the District of Columbia and for Dallas police and fire. All of these plans use a version of the RP 2000 mortality tables created by the Society of Actuaries....

...The results show very little difference at age 60 in the life expectancy of police and fire as compared with other public employees. The average life expectancy at age 60 for police and firefighters was 24 years for men and 26 years for women. For non-police and fire, the comparable figures were 25 years for men and 27 years for women – just one year longer! And the pattern was quite consistent across states and localities.
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/e...efighters-die-young/

My neighbor was both a policeman and a firefighter. Worked 20 years for the city, retired at age 50, at 90% of his highest three years pay, doing quite well these days.

That data is over three years old, there has been a tremendous amount of data that has surfaced over the last three years in regards to cancer specifically. The data is young but for example firefighters are 100 times more likely to have testicular cancer, and 50 times more likely to have non Hodgkin's lymphoma and there many other types of cancer that occur at a much higher rate too. If occupational cancer were included in the LODD numbers as it should be the number would at least quadruple maybe more.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

whereupon those lazy and/or incompetent people will eventually find jobs.....in the private sector again, albeit with different employers.

The public sector is not some island of misfit employees where refugees from the private sector end up.

So the lazy don't really end up in the gov't. The gov't is more efficient/effective in their labor force? Here is a headline from a recent San Francisco Chronicle article:

quote:
Cameras catch BART janitor who made $270,000 in a year spending hours in Powell St. closet
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/...estions-10911932.php

The fellow gets paid overtime to sleep on the job. BART admin indicated they wouldn't pursue the matter.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:....That data is over three years old, there has been a tremendous amount of data that has surfaced over the last three years in regards to cancer specifically. The data is young but for example firefighters are 100 times more likely to have testicular cancer, and 50 times more likely to have non Hodgkin's lymphoma and there many other types of cancer that occur at a much higher rate too. If occupational cancer were included in the LODD numbers as it should be the number would at least quadruple maybe more.

Do you have any references on that data?

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

I also found out recently that "volunteer" firefighters also receive a pension in many municipalities (mine included).

And how much do they max out at per month? How many get vested and of the vested group, how many actually collect?

My dad did over 40 years as an active volunteer firefighter in Texas. Every month when he got his $20 check he would take my mom out for burgers. If they had enough left over they would get ice cream too.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:

So the lazy don't really end up in the gov't. The gov't is more efficient/effective in their labor force? Here is a headline from a recent San Francisco Chronicle article:

quote:
Cameras catch BART janitor who made $270,000 in a year spending hours in Powell St. closet
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/...estions-10911932.php

The fellow gets paid overtime to sleep on the job. BART admin indicated they wouldn't pursue the matter.

It's San Francisco, WTF else would you expect?

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

I also found out recently that "volunteer" firefighters also receive a pension in many municipalities (mine included).

And how much do they max out at per month? How many get vested and of the vested group, how many actually collect?

My dad did over 40 years as an active volunteer firefighter in Texas. Every month when he got his $20 check he would take my mom out for burgers. If they had enough left over they would get ice cream too.

C'mon, someone earlier said volunteer fireman get a pension of $2,400.00 per month.

Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the lazy don't really end up in the gov't. The gov't is more efficient/effective in their labor force?

No, governments are employers, and just like any other employer, there are the good, the bad and the average employees.

Just like in the public sector, there are scammers and rip-off artists.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-s...-guilty-white-plains

quote:
Preet Bharara, United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced today that ROBERT LEES, a former senior executive of Universal Forest Products, Inc. (“UFP”) was convicted a jury of conspiracy, mail fraud, money laundering and making false statements in a loan application following a seven-day trial in White Plains before United States District Judge Kenneth M. Karas.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said: “Today, a jury unanimously found that Robert Lees, a senior executive at Universal Forest Products, participated in a kickback scheme that defrauded both HUD and a mortgage lender. This verdict should serve as a warning to other corporate executives tempted by fraud.”

The difference between your example and mine is that I am not using mine in generalizing that all, most or many corporate executives in the private sector are lazy scam artists.

There are good ones, there are bad ones, but most are just average.