SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird question for LEO
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird question for LEO Login/Join 
posted
If someone were arrested by the highway patrol of a state, what facility (jail/detention center) would they be transported to? Would it be the city jail where the offense occurred? A county jail? The nearest facility?

Thanks,

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this count as your one phone call?

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
In the judicial jurisdiction the arrest was in. Normally, it is the county jail of the county the arrest was made in.

The above is a basic answer because some counties contract with other counties to house prisoners. Also, a magistrate, normally with jurisdictional authority advises the prisoner of his rights and may set bond. Each state is probably different than here in Texas.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Typically the detention center for the jurisdiction where the arrest was made.

As to whether it would be a city or county facility, that depends. Some bigger cities run their own jails. Many cities rely on county jails. Some cities have their own jails but only accept misdemeanor arrests, with felony arrests being housed in county jails. Some smaller cities don't have a jail, and their smaller county doesn't have a jail either, so they have a contract with a detention center in a neighboring area. Etc. So the answer will vary, depending on the exact arrangements for that specific area.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
In my county anyone arrested for a local or state violation goes to county jail ran by the Sheriff. This includes arrests made by any of the numerous state agencies.

Federal arrests go to a Federal facility a couple counties away... it’s actually a contracted portion of that counties jail.

We can not book on federal code violations, if isn’t possible. We run into that occasionally, most recently on a case where someone came froma different state to pimp our a minor. It was an interesting situation where they couldn’t make it to federal facility that night. After going around and around for a bit we did a “courtesy hold”.... which is just a no paperwork hold for a very short amount of time.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my jurisdiction, arrested folks charged with misdemeanors were taken to whichever jail that serves the municipal court that would hear the case. In the case of a felony, the county jail was used. The county jail also was used if the local jails were full.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
In Massachusetts the State Police hold their own arrests, a clerk magistrate will set bail or the subject will be brought to the district court if open or the next day.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Most likely the county jail of the county they were arrested in.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In NC, troopers took the guy to the magistrate in the county where the crime occurred as this is also the county the court where the case would be heard. Then, if the magistrate placed the guy under a bond, he was incarcerated at the jail( usually run by the sheriff for that county).

If the guy could post his bond when the magistrate sets it, he’s free to go and never even gets to jail, if he can’t stand the bond he goes to jail and afforded the time to call a bondsman or someone who can bring him cash to bond out. If he can get someone or a bondsman, he will usually be tossed into a holding cell for a few minutes until the bondsman shows up, otherwise it’s time for the orange jumpsuit and off to your cell.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Not trying to imply that I'm any sort of authority on this topic, ( Red Face Eek ) but in my experience, the above posters are correct - a person in that situation is typically transported to the nearest county detention facility.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I am retired local LEO, but I have a bunch of state buddies. If you want something more definite from their policy, I can ask. Of course, it will be Texas specific.

One of the other considerations is that many DAs are for single counties in larger populated areas, but my county and neighboring counties were in a single jurisdictional district. In that instance, the state officer has more choices.

I grew up in Houston, and HPD has a municipal jail. I don’t know if state officers have the choice to book there or not since I don’t have that experience. The county jails there in Harris County May be their only option.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Most city jails in AZ have disappeared due to cost. I am retired state. We booked into a county facility. Sheriff Joe always had room at 'Tent City' whereas some outlying facilities would turn us away to reserve room for their deputies arrests.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jail in the county where the arrest was made.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

he's asking for a 'friend'. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers. I swear it wasn’t me!

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is a classic case of "it depends."

As is often the case with legal questions, the answer varies with where you are, and also with the nature of the offense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is a classic case of "it depends."

As is often the case with legal questions, the answer varies with where you are, and also with the nature of the offense.

Yep, the Kentucky State Police are not bound by any kind of rules or guidance on which jail they use. It is not uncommon for them to take the person to another county if that jail is geographically closer to the point of arrest.

Or if a particular jail/jailer/jail staff pisses off a trooper or troopers, they will use another jail.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The situation exists here in Dallas. Yesterday I noticed a strange black SUV with blue and red lights pulling over a car near my home. Curious, I paid attention to what was painted on the vehicle: "State Trooper" in big white letters. Since the stop was made within the city limits of Dallas, I was curious and queried my Best Friend, who's a cop in Greenville, TX. He responded that several State LEOs have been loaned to the DPD to perform traffic duty, because DPD is short of personnel.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Most of our local jails are closing and the county jails are expanding. I think Ohio State Patrol uses whatever's convenient. They're no longer just on the freeways. They're doing traffic enforcement on local streets now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

LOL
Haven't read much of Sigforum in the last weeks. I'm missed so much entertainment.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post