SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This study explains why journalism is so poor these days.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This study explains why journalism is so poor these days. Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
http://www.businessinsider.com...-than-average-2017-5

quote:
Journalists drink too much, are bad at managing emotions, and operate at a lower level than average, according to a new study.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This makes perfect sense to me. A "journalist" is essentially a parasitic organism, so it doesn't really need much in the way of higher brain function. Just the ability to find a "food" source and "feed" seems to be the only real skill to develop. Kinda like a Tick or Leech; or maybe a Tapeworm is a better analogy. Just my .02

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Drink to much?

I'm calling BULLSHIT.

There is no way alcohol consumption alone can account for getting "journalists" as removed from reality as is shown by the MSM.

I suspect ether is the cause. In the words of noted journalist Hunter S. Thompson, "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel… total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue – severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more or less normally… you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can’t control it."

Then again, excessive use of blotter acid may explain things.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I don't think journalists are going to be happy reading this study.

However, a slug by any other name is still a slug.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only surprise is that it took a gaggle of scientists to figure this out. Journalists are stupid and often drunk. Is this not a total stereotype for like fifty years? I guess we gotta study something. Maybe too many people were trying to cure cancer or something.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Drink to much?

I'm calling BULLSHIT.

There is no way alcohol consumption alone can account for getting "journalists" as removed from reality as is shown by the MSM.

I suspect ether is the cause. In the words of noted journalist Hunter S. Thompson, "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel… total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue – severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more or less normally… you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can’t control it."

Then again, excessive use of blotter acid may explain things.
Here is how I suspect the drink too much works:
1. Wake up, chug water, and down aspirin to deal with hangover.
2. Get dressed
3. Show up to press conference and get spoon fed information
4. Open laptop, read DNC talking points
5. Blend the spoon fed info from press conference and DNC talking points into a rambling, poorly written, unsubstantiated article.
6. Hand it off to editor
7. Hit the bar mid-afternoon
8. Rinse and repeat

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One thing I am noticing is the slight alteration of words and meaning as news reports are picked up and repeated.

It's like the game we played as kids, sitting in a circle, where "it" starts by whispering a motto or famous saying to his or her neighbor. That person whispers the same motto or saying to the next person and so forth around the circle. The last person anounces what was said.

You would start off with "Remember the Alamo" and end up with "Better living through chemistry" or similar.

These reporters hear something, read something, paraphrase it into something slightly different, and it grows and grows into something unlike the original statement.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Exactly JALLEN.
See this:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1370083424

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sunburn,

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the real problem is that most "journalists" are Liberal Progressives.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

But it will never be reported. Wink

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
You are assuming that they can read....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
A DSM-V dx code for journalistic borderline intellectual function sounds right.
Now for medication, involuntary preferred.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True journalists serve an absolutely vital role in preserving a democracy.

Problem is - modern journalists have gotten away from finding truth and presenting unbiased factual reportage.

My daughter is showing interest in this field an I am hammering home neutrality / facts / opposing views...

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
2. Get dressed
5. Blend the spoon fed info from press conference and DNC talking points into a rambling, poorly written, unsubstantiated article.
6. Hand it off to editor
7. Hit the bar by mid-after noon
8. Rinse and repeat

FIFY. But otherwise pretty much spot on.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You're telling me there is something wrong with this approach to life?

Oh, I see. Step 1 should say "chug coffee."

That aligns it with my morning routine.

quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
quote:
2. Get dressed
6. Hand it off to editor
8. Rinse and repeat

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
"Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your HONOR. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
MARK TWAIN

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I find nothing surprising here. I had the duty of dealing directly with the media on many occasions. I met many very bright and dedicated journalists over the years who mostly didn't last long because of the actions of their editors twisting the story. I also met some really shallow and obtuse idiots with an agenda who were intent on bending the facts to fit their agenda. Unfortunately they often hang on long enough to become editors. There are some very good journalists out there whose stories are run unadulterated but they are far and few between.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
2. Get dressed
6. Hand it off to editor
8. Rinse and repeat

You're assuming a smaller hangover than I am.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
quote:
2. Get dressed
6. Hand it off to editor
8. Rinse and repeat

Big Grin So you openly admit to being a schill for the Democrats? I did not know that about you. Big Grin

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:
2. Get dressed
6. Hand it off to editor
8. Rinse and repeat

Big Grin So you openly admit to being a schill for the Democrats? I did not know that about you. Big Grin

I was drunk by step 2, and didn't read further.

Nice is overrated