SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you can, support your local restaurants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you can, support your local restaurants Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
We are fortunate that our favorite local family owned places are still open for curb-side delivery and take out. Our go to BBQ place, our Tex Mex eatery, our Japanese restaurant, etc. We know that they furloughed/laid off some staff and have skeleton crews still working to keep the cash registers going. By patronizing these restaurants a few times a week, hopefully we can help them during this hysteria to pay the rent and payroll, and hopefully they will still be open when things calm down a bit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Im with you on this.
We’ve been trying to patronize the local small businesses as much as we can.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We hit our favorite Pizza place tonight and left a generous tip. Those folks have it tough.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An amazing project has flourished here

Guy started delivering meals to nurses etc at the hospitals from local restaurants... for free

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/...eans-food-hospitals/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, always. Restaurants are still open for carry-out and delivery, and we still order food from our favorite Vietnamese restaurant like we always do, at least 2 to 3 times a week. But, walking in and see the place dark and empty and a couple of employees with sad look on their faces really breaks your heart.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been doing this as much as we can comfortably afford.

Remember to tip them as if you were dining in.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
As someone who has been in the business for over 10 years, I can tell you that your support means a lot to the people still working. I’m wondering if my current employer will be able to weather this storm as he was forced to close up shop completely since carry out business isn’t enough revenue to justify remaining open.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped at the little family style restaurant on the corner last night after phoning in the order. The hostess had just placed it in the bag when I arrived. The phone was ringing, so I quickly paid and gave them about a 20% tip.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to go for drive thrus and take outs when I can as well. Some decided to close but most places around here switched to take out(if not already doing so) so they could stay open and keep folks working.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been going to one of my local restaurants at least once every day and tipping.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We've been ordering carryout from our favorite local pizza place and Thai place every week, and tipping 30-50%.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m doing my bit. Going to Carmen’s Mexican Food for crispy shell chicken tacos today. Take-out only nowadays though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Yup, we do this a few times a week. We leave a big tip and even gave a nice cash bonus to friends whose café is closed for now. Remember you can buy gift certificates, too.

We visited a local gal that has a little organic flower/vegetable business that my wife loves. She's well stocked with no customers, we'll be going back often.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We have done this the last 2 Fridays since the stay at home order was issued. We will continue this practice as long as we can.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Indeed! We get take out 2x per week....focus on these places near us. Was thinking what places I'd be disappointed if they were put out of business due to this mess.

-Local diner (Glory Days)

-Pizza (Namoli's, Anna's)

-BBQ (Brew and Que)

-Italian (Mamma Mia)

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Local Brewhouse has put together some take home to cook deals, call ahead, order, drive up and take home a ready to cook complete meal. They sell out quickly, and a pretty good deal to boot...

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 Offerings

We are fully stocked with all our three core packages, Quarantine, BBQ & Taco.

We are also featuring our Rice Pack & Pasta Packs today!

I am opening the phone lines at 12 PM, so please call as these 200 packages are first come, first serve. We have dedicated Package Parking spots and a server will come to you to take your order and payment. There will be no need to get out of your car.

Stay tuned for updates on package availability and new offerings. We will update our page as we run out.

We are open from 12 PM - 8 PM.

Our Quarantine Pack contains raw items to cook at home and other essentials. The Quarantine Pack will be offered every day.

**All other daily kits will come cold are HEAT & SERVE classics off of our menu that feed 8-10 people.**

All packages include 6 bottles of water and 1 roll of toilet paper. All packages are available while supplies last.

Alcohol packages are also available to purchase. Bottled Beer, Wine, and Liquor are all available.

Today's Special Features:

RICE PACK: $48
2 LBS Rockin’ Rice, Vegetable Medley, & 1 1/2 LBS Grilled Chicken topped with an Asian Teriyaki Glaze & garnished with Grilled Pineapple
2 LBS Rockin’ Rice, Vegetable Medley, & 1 1/2 LBS Grilled Chicken with an Alfredo Roasted Cream Sauce topped with Parmesan & Basil
(Note: Our Rockin' Rice is a delicious Buttery Saffron Rice with Corn, Onion, Celery & Carrots)
6 Bottles of Water & 1 Roll of Toilet Paper

PASTA PACK: $48
2 ½ LBS Blackened Chicken Pasta
2 ½ LBS Pesto Chicken Pasta
10 Pieces Garlic Cheese Toast

Core Packages:

QUARANTINE PACK: $55
2 Sirloins
2 LBS Chicken
1 Dozen Eggs
1 Gallon Milk
1 LB Butter
1 LB Assorted Bread
BBQ Seasoning & BBQ Sauce

BBQ PACK: $48
2 LBS Ribs
2 LBS Pulled Pork
2 Each Half Roasted BBQ Chickens
1 LB Cole Slaw
1 LB Potato Salad
Carolina & Memphis BBQ Sauce

TACO PACK: $48
3 LBS Ground Beef or Grilled Chicken
20 Flour Tortillas
Toppings: Sauteed Green Peppers, Sauteed Onions, Diced Tomatoes, Pico de Gallo, Shredded Lettuce, Sour Cream, Jalapenos, Mixed Cheese, Guacamole Saffron Rice, Black Beans & Tortilla Chips 6 Bottles of Water & 1 Roll of Toilet Paper

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^That's the way to do it. If not several hundred miles away, I'd stop there!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I eat "out" a lot of the time, anyway. I've been hitting up my favorite drive-thrus a lot: Popeye's; Taco Bell; Whataburger; Chick-fil-A; Burger King.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Same here - as often as we can - different places 3 to 5 times a week.

Jack Stack BBQ (A Kansas City Icon) is doing the same with packaged dinners as well as a limited version of their regular menu. And we're also ordering bottles of wine and beer to bolster their sales - they make more on drink than food.

I spent 10 years of my younger days working in Restaurants and I can only imagine the hardship this is causing. We want to help out as much as possible...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're trying to do our part. Before the shelter in place orders, our somewhat fractured schedule had us eating out regularly, either at lunch or dinner. We've continued on that pace/schedule....
Our fervent hope is that the locally owned operations we usually patronize can hang on and survive, our fear is that some won't.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post