SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Pellet Grill..Are Traegers Worth the Price?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Pellet Grill..Are Traegers Worth the Price? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
After doing a lot of looking into the camp chef woodwind and comparing it to the Traeger Texas elite 34 I’m very torn and will have to keep either hearing people’s opinions and further research

It sounds like with either I could ditch my current huge grill (half propane side/half charcoal with an offset smoke box) cheap brand I think charboil or something like that. I will have to pick up a Weber kettle to appease my charcoal needs, which would be just double work with the Traeger while the camp chef has the propane searing station

It also sounds like the camp chef holds and gets to higher temps faster than the traegers based on reviews which comes in handy for baking such as doing pizzas

Can the Texas elite 34 handle being able to hold 400+ temps?

Posts: 355 | Location: SE, PA  | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Most of the questions have been answered. I have a traeger texas elite, love it, no issues. As does a friend who's been using theirs for well over 10 years.

As far as the temperature goes yes. It will hold 450. I do the traeger chicken challenge, i.e. whole fryer for about an hour on high.

My buddy had a GMG and we came back to it all burned up cause the pellet case caught on fire. Also have a friend with a pit boss, who didn't like his. If you have HyVees in your area you will finder a cheaper price for traeger. But you have to shop around as Traegers contract states they are not allowed to advertise below their prices, but stores can sell them below.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’m between the Traeger Texas elite 34 model vs. camp chef windwood with the searing station both at 899.99 on amazon.

Plan on going through amazon as a prime member and we have about $800 in gift cards we have been saving towards an upgraded grill.

If I add the folding shelf to the Traeger and a couple of bags of pellets I’m right around 1k same deal for the camp shef windwood

Tough choice as I have been so set on a Traeger vs. rec tec this camp chef model seems to get raving reviews and a lot from former Traeger owners.

I’m not worried so much about the mini explosions sometimes seen on traegers vs other brands.

Posts: 355 | Location: SE, PA  | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have the Lil Tex (large) traeger, it works fantastic, while it won't sear a steak you can get it up into the high 400's and with aftermarket controllers up over 500 if you want. I don't see the need, I have a gas grill for the times I want to sear steaks or high temp cooks.

The Traeger isn't designed for that, and IMHO a smoker is for smoking and slow cooking food, it's not a flattop grill. If you want high temp seared food then buy an appliance that does just that.

Then again I'm not into having every steak I cook seared, so it's not of consequence to me as my LP Grill has a sear burner if I want.

I've never had a better steak than one cooked on it, perfect temp in the center every time, nice cooked outside, if you need a burnt seared exterior then hit a skillet on the stove after.

Steaks and burgers cooked on a normal grill require a lot more attention and the potential for grease flare ups exists. Because it's indirect circulation based heat there is no potential for direct fire flare ups ever on the Traeger.

Bacon on the Traeger is nothing short of phenomenal, it's like candy, I can do a full pound package in one cook, Chickens (fryers) are tender, moist burgers are great, then again I don't like overcooked food,

I make blue cheese stuffed burgers or cheddar bacon burgers, on the grill the bacon drips grease which leads to flare ups, on the Traeger they cook perfectly and never a worry.

As to the other options presented I have no clue, since you asked are Traegers worth the price. IMHO yes, mine is going on 5 years old, it's only replacement has been a wheel caster that failed which they replaced out of warranty for free.

Three of my friends loved the cooking on mine they all bought them, my SIL just got one for Christmas.

So to answer your question, IMHO yes it's a good value and your best bet is to hit the local Costco when they have the Traeger rep in for a deal.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info posted so far. I bought the big $1,000 one from Costco a few years ago. Within a few months, I had a flame out which led to over feeding the pellets into the flame pot and reignited and had a huge fire inside the barrel. It ruined that $50 brisket and left a huge burn mark on the outside of the barrel. I returned it to Costco and swapped out for a new one, no problem. Had the same thing happen again. Definitely not "set it and forget it" more like set it, forget it and burn your house down if you do. No way I would leave it unattended for more than 30 minutes, much less an overnight cook. (Which is why I wanted one for smoking a 14 hour brisket to eat at lunch the next day.)

I still have it and use it. I am very particular about mine - vacuuming out the smoke pot & barrel after every use, changing foil after every smoke, wiping down outside w/ WD40 after every cook, etc.

Only other advice I can offer is they are similar to guns. Accessories can add up. I had bought a folding front shelf, bottom shelf, nomex door gasket, amazn smoke tube, wireless thermometer, 2nd temp gauge, etc...

If I were to do it all again, I wouldn't buy another Traeger. If you do, get it from Costco for their no hassle return. I'd just buy a cheaper stick burner that is a smoker/grill combo for about 1/2 of the Traeger.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Traeger Texas for 4 years now. I am very happy with it. I have had some of the issues mentioned but it really comes down to learning how to use it. I got mine at Costco, they have them occasionally when they have a road show, got it for $699.00 about $100.00 less than list. the good thing about it is if it has any issue or I just don't want it any more Costco will take it back and refund the full purchase price no matter how long I have used it. No plans to do that as I am getting good usage from it. I will upgrade maybe in a couple of years to a Green Mountain but until then I will continue to use the Traeger and gift it to my Son in Law.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Let me reiterate. Buy bigger than you think you need. You get a traeger and make delicious food, you may have friends “visit” more often. Cost to get bigger model is usually only 100 bucks or so.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Also have a friend with a pit boss, who didn't like his.

I wonder which model?

The small entry level is a POS. Small pellet box, cheap metal and very small.

The 820 is built well, has a large hopper and is in a whole different class. It's like they were manufactured by two different companies.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I've owned a lot of them...Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, and currently own a Yoder YS640.

If I were getting a new grill right now it would be the new Camp Chef Woodwind as I've read really good reviews on it. It also has a searing station on it.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.html

After researching gem I went with the Camp Chef and am pleased with it. The sear box makes the perfect combo with the pellet grill. If money was no object I’d go with a Pitts and Spitts and add something similar to the Camp Chef sear box. Smoking then reverse searing makes great steaks, fajitas, burgers and other meats.
http://pittsandspitts.com/shop/

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I've owned a lot of them...Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, and currently own a Yoder YS640.

If I were getting a new grill right now it would be the new Camp Chef Woodwind as I've read really good reviews on it. It also has a searing station on it.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.html

After researching gem I went with the Camp Chef and am pleased with it. The sear box makes the perfect combo with the pellet grill. If money was no object I’d go with a Pitts and Spitts and add something similar to the Camp Chef sear box. Smoking then reverse searing makes great steaks, fajitas, burgers and other meats.
http://pittsandspitts.com/shop/

I’d like to be right around 1k out the door so it’s really down to the Traeger Texas elite 34 with the folding shelf add on or the camp chef woodwind with searing station

Very torn at this point....

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Also have a friend with a pit boss, who didn't like his.

I wonder which model?

The small entry level is a POS. Small pellet box, cheap metal and very small.

The 820 is built well, has a large hopper and is in a whole different class. It's like they were manufactured by two different companies.

This was the bigger barrel type one like the texas elite. Im guessing it was a QC issue as I recall seeing smoke coming out of the hopper prior times and him saying its normal...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Let me reiterate. Buy bigger than you think you need. You get a traeger and make delicious food, you may have friends “visit” more often.

Yep. I got one that I thought was big enough, but ended up having to buy a couple wire risers for my pellet smoker, to allow me to stack more meat in there.

quote:
Im guessing it was a QC issue as I recall seeing smoke coming out of the hopper prior times and him saying its normal...

It can be normal, in very small amounts. I get a few whisps of smoke coming out of my hopper, especially when the pellets are pretty low. (Like when the alarm is going off to refill the hopper.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I got mine at Costco too. Think of it as a wood fired convection oven that gives food a great smokey taste.
Searing is not something the Traeger is designed to do. Reverse sear is the way to go for that.
Mine will maintain 425 (good for pizza) without a problem but I'm not in snow country either, so I can't comment on near zero temp performance.
Pork butts and briskets are easy and *almost* set it and forget it. I still on check mine every 2 hrs or so but with the ThermoPro wireless, I don't even go outside much anymore except to spritz or sauce. Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, so I can't speak for performance. I've been looking at them for years and have seen the build quality go down drastically since production moved to China. The metal is thinner and the lids are flimsy. I would find a better quality, made in USA out of good thick steel if was going to spend the money on one.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was the bigger barrel type one like the texas elite. Im guessing it was a QC issue as I recall seeing smoke coming out of the hopper prior times and him saying its normal...

That's NOT normal... that starts happening when it needs cleaned. Clean out the pot and the smoke will stop coming out of the hopper.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Figure I would update this since I went ahead and ordered a pellet grill

Went with the camp chef woodwind model with searing station after the recommendations here lead me down a research path and despite always being set on the treager I ended up going with the camp chef model.

Will update once it arrives, might need to buy an insulating blanket haha

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svick25:

Congratulations, you will really like the food you cook on the pellet grill.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Originally posted by svick25:

Congratulations, you will really like the food you cook on the pellet grill.

Thanks and can’t wait the grill is expected to come in around the end of this month. Already have on order a few accessories (insulating blanket, cherry/Apple/hickory pellets 20lb bags, grease can inserts)

Hoping it arrives undamaged the first go around!

Plan on doing a whole beef tenderloin and a chicken for super bowl