SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Pellet Grill..Are Traegers Worth the Price?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Pellet Grill..Are Traegers Worth the Price? Login/Join 
posted
Hey Sig Forum,

Been researching and eyeing a Traeger pellet grill for quite sometime now. I have a charcoal grill and propane combo with an offset smoker box which got me into smoking this past summer and fell in love with the process and the results I could get in my backyard however it’s a labor process as compared to a pellet grill.

So the one I was originally looking at was the “22” model around $430 bucks on amazon, but think I would be dissatisfied with the grilling space. So i was looking at the elite 34 model around $799 on amazon.

However is the price swing really worth it for the grilling and hopper space?

Also, it says can only use Traeger pellets or the warranty is void, id assume many don’t follow that rule?

Can the grill really go from smoking to be able to sear a steak say in a cast iron pan to finish? Or would I have to use my charcoal grill to finish

Any good alternatives to Traeger besides Rec tec?

Appreciate all the help

Posts: 355 | Location: SE, PA  | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same way until I went to a store. They had a Traeger set up to cook lunch. It was 40degrees out side and the owner was struggling to heat it up above two hundred degrees. I guess cooler times they need an insulated blanket.
I went with a Komodo Joe. Deal at Lowe’s.
I would at least look at them and the big green egg.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svick25:
Any good alternatives to Traeger besides Rec tec?

Green Mountain

https://greenmountaingrills.com/

I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone.

I use it exclusively as a smoker, and use my Kamado egg for grilling, so I can't comment on the Green Mountain's functionality as a grill.

quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
It was 40degrees out side and the owner was struggling to heat it up above two hundred degrees. I guess cooler times they need an insulated blanket.

I don't have any trouble with my Green Mountain in colder weather. In fact, I just smoked a pork butt for Christmas Eve in sub-30 degree weather.

The temp is less stable than during warmer weather since the relatively thin metal shell leeches heat, so you burn through pellets faster, but it still works just fine.

I'm planning to get an insulating cover eventually, but it isn't absolutely needed.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Traeger is a good machine and worth the money if you are looking for a pellet grill. We have use it in all sorts of weather and works great. Keeps temps great. Pellet smokers simplify smoking. Buy bigger than you think you need in terms of size and enjoy. We not only smoke, but also use it to make great burgers and steaks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What kind of temps are you guys getting out of these things? I thought they were capped at or below 500*? Can you sear something on them? I am not in the market for one, just curious.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've owned a lot of them...Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, Rec Tec, and currently own a Yoder YS640.

If I were getting a new grill right now it would be the new Camp Chef Woodwind as I've read really good reviews on it. It also has a searing station on it.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.html

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I've owned a lot of them...Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, and currently own a Yoder YS640.

If I were getting a new grill right now it would be the new Camp Chef Woodwind as I've read really good reviews on it. It also has a searing station on it.

Thanks for all he fast replies guys! I saw the camp chef but have not looked into them such as the Traeger and rec tec grills

Posts: 355 | Location: SE, PA  | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
What kind of temps are you guys getting out of these things? I thought they were capped at or below 500*?

Green Mountain's small and medium models are capped at 500, and their large model is capped at 550.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've owned a lot of them...Traeger, Green Mountain Grills, and currently own a Yoder YS640.

So, why any of the above over the Yoder Smoker? Been contemplating the YS for a while and will appreciate your feedback.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just bought a GMG Daniel Boone. Love it. I use Traeger pellets now and then, plus the WiFi app is the Bee's Knees in the sub-zero winter atm.

Also, got the blanket for Christmas. It's okay.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:

So, why any of the above over the Yoder Smoker? Been contemplating the YS for a while and will appreciate your feedback.

The Yoder is a fantastic smoker but is a bit overkill for a pellet smoker that does weekend duty in the backyard. It is built like a tank and is HEAVY and huge to move around, work with, lift the lid on, etc. It does a great job but I think a smaller lighter model would be better for the average weekend user.

My Yoder is like something that you could use professionally and run a BBQ restaurant with. It is heavy to take a part and clean and isn't easy to move around when I need to due to it's size and weight.

If I were doing it over again I would not spend the $2,600 I spent on the Yoder that does the same thing a $900 grill (with free shipping) would do in my backyard. Don't get me wrong, the Yoder is awesome but I just don't have the need for the tank (and cost) that is the Yoder.

See below...it is $300 just to ship the Yoder.

------------------------------------------------------------

Item Description: Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Smoker - Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Smoker w/ Second Shelf - YS Tel-Tru Door Thermometer (allow for extra build time) - YS640 Cover - Thermometer Probe Port (allow for extra build time) - Free 40lbs Hickory Pellets - Optional Master Griller Kit - Stainless Steel Front and Side Shelves - Heat Diffuser with Access Door
Quantity: 1
Amount Per Item: $2,309.39
Sub Total: $2,309.39

------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Via: Fedex Freight Economy

Ship/Handling: $294.00

============================================================
TOTAL: $2,603.39

Thank you for your order!

All Things Barbecue
818 W Douglas Ave.
Wichita, KS 67203
316-440-3950

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pal of mine has a Rec Tec and is quite happy with it. Do not know his reasoning but he sold an XL Big Green Egg to go to the Rec Tec.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
A pal of mine has a Rec Tec and is quite happy with it. Do not know his reasoning but he sold an XL Big Green Egg to go to the Rec Tec.

I also owned a Big Green Egg and sold it to get a Rec Tec. The pellet grill is so much easier to use and not the pain the BGE was. I would never go with anything other than a pellet grill again.

The Rec Tec is a good grill but doesn't really offer anything you can't get in a Traeger, GMG or Camp Chef for less money.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
LBTRS, thanks for the feedback. Been contemplating the YS for some time but haven't pulled the trigger (not Treager) due to cost. have lots of friends with YS and they swear by them. Also have a bunch of friends with the $800 Treagers that swear by them. Have also considered the Rec Tec.

Good news is that if I decide on the YS, All Things BBQ is only 6 miles from the house so I bet I can defray the shipping costs.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Google:

traeger feed tube fire
traeger auger fire
traeger hopper fire

My local outdoor patio and grilling place started selling Green Mountain Grills instead because of this. I've had a couple issues with fires in my small Traeger. I believe GMG uses a design where they force more air from the hopper and down the feed tube to prevent fire coming up the feed tube into the hopper.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with the Pit Boss. Temp is capped at 500F, but it will sear a steak.

There's a cover that slides out of the way for direct flames, if you choose to cook that way.

I've cooked pizza, cookies, steaks, ribs, potatoes, cornbread, meatloaf, hamburgers, pretzels, etc. If you can cook it in the oven, you can cook it with a pellet grill.

WM now has a Pit Boss for 400 bucks... or you can get ones with 'features'.

700 FB (Flame Boiler) $396
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit...ame-Broiler/52162941

820 Deluxe for $499
https://www.academy.com/shop/p...-deluxe-pellet-grill

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I have a Big green egg, and love it.

I have considered a Traeger, but happened to be in Cabelas, and saw their version.

Everything was nicer and heavier duty on the Cabelas model than the Traeger. It also looked to be an almost exact copy.

Just something to consider.

I do not have any experience with any others listed here. Good luck!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My Traeger Lil’ Tex elite caps out at 425 in the winter time and 475 in the summer.

Parts are easy to find. I’ll eventually upgrade to a GMG.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I just bought a GMG Daniel Boone. Love it. I use Traeger pellets now and then, plus the WiFi app is the Bee's Knees in the sub-zero winter atm.

Also, got the blanket for Christmas. It's okay.

My story is the same. I sold my Big Green Egg as it was somewhat of a pain. I was looking at buying a blower system for the egg but the cost was nearly what I paid for my Danial Boone. I have done Brats, Burgers and a 4# NY roast. With the blanket and outside temps in the single digits, I easily cooked the roast in 4 hours. 2 hours at 150 for smoke and 2 hours at 275 to take it to 135. It was as good as my Egg would have done.

The GMG will also take a Pizza Oven - search youtube.

I paid less than $500 on the sale that lasted through Christmas.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I cooked on a Weber kettle for 35 years before finally getting a small Traeger, I am not sure which model it is, but the grilling area is about 16" x 30". I have had the Traeger for about 2 1/2 years and cook on it regularly. Here are a few of my thoughts and observations:

1) Overall, I much prefer the food I cook on the indirect heat in the Traeger to conventional grilling, for most things. The exception being burgers and steaks. I simply cannot get the temperature up high enough to get a good sear.

2) The model I have is too small for my needs. While it has about the same usable cooking area as the old Weber I used, I find I cook more often and larger quantities. Plus, once I learned the benefits of spatchcocking poultry, I will never cook a whole bird again, and hence need more space.

3) I am on a mission to get a true stick burner, my eye is on the Lang 36. Since I haven't used one, I can't comment, but I think this would really take my smoking to the next level, the reasons being listed below.

I see a pellet smoker, particularly the thin-metal models like the Traeger as the gas grill of the smoker market. By that I mean, they are easy to use, fast to light, and are better than not having any grill at all. But, they are not as good as the real thing.

Traeger likes:

a) Better food, by far, than straight grilling. Those that use two-zone setups in their grill may do just as well as the results I get in the Traeger, but my two-zone smoking has not worked as well, and is more hassle.

b) Fast and easy. Have a salmon fillet you want for dinner? No problem, in 5 minutes, it can be cooking on the Traeger. Same with brats, Italian sausages, chicken breasts, etc. The Traeger lights as easy as a gas grill, so there is no hesitation regarding startup time, etc.

Traeger dislikes:

i) Better controllers. My low-end Traeger only came with a non-feedback 3 position controller. I ripped that out and replaced it with a feedback model with 9 positions. Even with the better controller, the system sometimes struggles to maintain temp, more on that later. I have had a few times when the controller is uncontrollable, meaning it completely lost the ability to maintain temperature, and would either over-feed, or starve the fire. Over-feeding can be disastrous, in one of two ways. If you recognize that over-feeding occurs, due to the fire having gone out, then you ruin your cook because you need to take the grill apart and clean out the excess pellets, and then restart. The second potential hazard is much worse. Many people just restart the grill without cleaning out the pellets, which leads to too large of a fire that can lead to feed tube fires, or even small "explosions." I found out the hard way, and literally, I had flames shooting out of the vent holes and the door of the Traeger blown open. Now, the "explosion" wasn't enough to breaks things, or create shrapnel or throw projectiles, but it was disturbing, none the less. Needles to say, the ribs I was cooking were ruined. One of my former graduate students also has a Traeger, and he has had the exact same problems, so it is not just my particular unit.

ii) Even with the better controller, it has 18 smoke levels I can set, but it only consistently keeps even cooker temperatures in a couple of settings.

iii) Lack of thermal mass. The biggest drawback to the Traeger type thin metal grills in the low thermal mass. I believe this is the biggest reason my controller has such a hard time. Thermal mass is what it sounds like: the more mass brought up to a certain temperature is going to take longer to cool off. While this means it takes longer to bring the cooker up to temperature, it also means it is much less susceptible to temperature swings due to environmental factors like wind, rains, etc. While I have not precisely determined why my Traeger goes out of control, there are three factors that seem to be at play: trying to keep the temperature low, 225 or less, long cooks ( > 2 hours), and wind/drizzle, or other environmental factors that cause the grill temp to swing. When a cool breeze (I am in Florida, there is no such thing as a cold breeze) comes along, I can watch the thermometer drop in temperature, and the auger feed to increase temp. The trouble is with gusting winds. The temp drops, the pellets feed, then the wind stops and the fire is now too hot, so the controller doesn't feed for a long time, leading to a dropping temp, and then another gust comes along, etc. A large thermal mass would mitigate all of that. I have noticed that the Traeger problems I have had never occur in steady-state conditions, where I think their control feedback loop works just fine. The heavy Yoder pellet smokers probably excel in this regard, though I don't have experience with them.

iv) Pellets do not offer a great selection in wood flavor. It is true that a variety of different pellets are available, but the secret is that most of them are still largely oak. Apparently, oak is the most consistent burning of the hardwoods, so it is used as a base, with the other species mixed in. I have tried almost every "flavor" of pellet Traeger sells, and there is only small variations in the resulting flavor profile of the meat. Pure specie wood pellets are available, but they are pricey and I have not tried them. The one warning I read was how reliably they burn, and given the controller problems I have, I don't need another burn issue.

v) Due to all of these issues, the pellet smokers are not, IMHO, tender free - you need to keep your eye on them, just like anything else. The closest I have read about to a "set and forget" slow cooker, are the ones from Stumps.

ETA: despite some of these comments, 99% of the time, my Traeger works great.

Summary:

In an ideal world, I would have three outdoor cooking devices: an offset stick burner for real smoking and long cooks; a charcoal BBQ grill (or maybe a ceramic) for high-temp searing and fast cooking; and a Traeger-style pellet grill for relatively small, short cooks.

YMMV.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post