SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is the BT I just got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also these two accessories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The 04 Cadillac we inherited has been sitting in the garage of our vacation home with a Battery Tender Junior on the battery since the first week in June. When I cranked it it started right up. Prior to that it sat unused from Christmas til June, with the Junior hooked up. If it was gonna hurt a battery I think it would have had ample time to do so in this case.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
This is the BT I just got:

Also these two accessories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks just like one I've got I the basement. Think mine is the "Junior" though.
Used it yearly for keeping the motorcycle battery fresh.
Pulled it out back in January of this year, in -20F wind chill,when my truck wouldn't start due to dead battery. Charged my battery for an hour, just enough to start and get me over to AutoZone.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?

Properly done with the proper equipment, yes, of course. Lead acid batteries are left on chargers for years at a time with no ill effects. Swing by one of your local telephone company central offices and check it out.

These have a regulator and to my knowledge, the battery tender does not.

The Central Office battery backup has maintenance preformed from time to time.

Oh my, I had no idea. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wally World Smart Charger for 19.87

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6V-...970336&wl13=&veh=sem

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:

Properly done with the proper equipment, yes, of course. Lead acid batteries are left on chargers for years at a time with no ill effects. Swing by one of your local telephone company central offices and check it out.

The Battery Tender Jr has a microprocessor instead of a regulator. From Battery Tender's website:

"Since mid-2006 the only major functional difference between the BTJR and the BT Plus is the maximum amplitude of the charger current, 0.75 and 1.25 amperes, respectively. Even though the marketing description may still be applicable, again, in a limited context, we can say now that the BTJR has a larger brain that enables it to create maximum charge effectiveness with minimal output current amplitude."

http://www.batterytender.com/faq/products

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have a Battery Tender Plus and a new (to us) car that will be parked in the garage through the winter. Does anyone see a problem with running the battery maintainer under a car cover? I am aware that there are cable extensions available that would make it possible to have the device outside the car.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.
I bought the Deltran Battery Tender Plus at Autozone for 69.99.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like you'll have an extra quick connect harness. I just (this week) bought an additional Battery Tender Plus, just like the one you link to at Amazon, from Amazon. It came with the quick connect harness, and also another harness with clamps on the end to connect to the battery poles.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PulseTech is another option for folks maintaining multiple batteries.

Their tech has performed well for me. I replaced the stock battery in a 2005 vehicle this year just because it was such a pain to remove when replacing a hidden transmission filter. This vehicle often sat for several months on their 2 watt solar maintainer with mainly morning sun, and would usually start without a jump if not longer than say 2 months of no use. It was still a good battery, just decided not to push my luck.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
"Since mid-2006 the only major functional difference between the BTJR and the BT Plus is

Guess Deltran figured out in 2006 that the Junior was killing batteries just like the early 2000's Junior I had that killed my boat battery so quickly.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:

The Battery Tender Jr has a microprocessor instead of a regulator. From Battery Tender's website:

"Since mid-2006 the only major functional difference between the BTJR and the BT Plus is the maximum amplitude of the charger current, 0.75 and 1.25 amperes, respectively. Even though the marketing description may still be applicable, again, in a limited context, we can say now that the BTJR has a larger brain that enables it to create maximum charge effectiveness with minimal output current amplitude."

Microprocessor instead of a regulator? I guess I'm missing your point.

What you did not quote from the subsequent paragraphs in that same ANSWER section on that same manufacturer's website are these little tidbits:

quote:
Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 0.75 amperes.

OMG, the manufacturer says that his device regulates the charging current when needed.

quote:
The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BTJR will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level,...

Look at that, now it's regulating voltage at the appropriate stage in the overall process.

quote:
...the BTJR automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest.

Goodness, now it's switched to a different level of voltage regulation.

The reason it's now able to adjust the power delivered to the battery and the way it's delivered (regulated voltage or regulated current) is because of the microprocessor. The microprocessor is simply a newer, more power-efficient way to regulate. Under the microprocessor arrangement, the charger is prevented from generating power in excess of what is actually needed as opposed to the older style of ZENER-referenced linear regulators that simply dump (waste) excess power in the form of heat, sometimes very high heat. The [MP] arrangement has enjoyed widespread, almost universal implementation in recent years as "switching regulators" in desktop computer chopper-type power supplies, laptop chargers, and cell phone and tablet wall-wort type chargers.

And lbj, from the website of the manufacturer whose device you have now purchased, the answer to your original thread topic question is still, YES, depending on the charger with the key word still being regulation.

quote:
In theory, you can leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery forever...However, practically speaking, it is a good idea to check on the battery at least once every couple of weeks. Strange things can happen.

In more than 99.9% of cases, nothing will go wrong. That still leaves about 0.1% where something might...A little common sense can go a long way.

Also consider this. No matter how good a product is, anything can break. In fact, everything will break, eventually.

The reality is that the better devices in this market are designed to do exactly what you need to do. I think the only question in your case is if the device you've selected can stay ahead of the higher than normal parasitic current drain that you know is occurring. I think you'll have your answer if you can leave it connected for a couple of days without starting the car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I have a Battery Tender Plus and a new (to us) car that will be parked in the garage through the winter. Does anyone see a problem with running the battery maintainer under a car cover? I am aware that there are cable extensions available that would make it possible to have the device outside the car.

I keep a BT+ on the stang all the time, inside the engine compartment, hood shut and car cover on. Only gets removed when I am going to drive it. After driving it I let the engine cool for about 4 hours before putting the BT back on.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I keep a BT+ on the stang all the time, inside the engine compartment, hood shut and car cover on. Only gets removed when I am going to drive it. After driving it I let the engine cool for about 4 hours before putting the BT back on.
thank you

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:

Microprocessor instead of a regulator? I guess I'm missing your point.

What you did not quote from the subsequent paragraphs in that same ANSWER section on that same manufacturer's website are these little tidbits:

quote:
Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 0.75 amperes.

OMG, the manufacturer says that his device regulates the charging current when needed.

quote:
The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BTJR will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level,...

Look at that, now it's regulating voltage at the appropriate stage in the overall process.

quote:
...the BTJR automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest.

Goodness, now it's switched to a different level of voltage regulation.

The reason it's now able to adjust the power delivered to the battery and the way it's delivered (regulated voltage or regulated current) is because of the microprocessor. The microprocessor is simply a newer, more power-efficient way to regulate. Under the microprocessor arrangement, the charger is prevented from generating power in excess of what is actually needed as opposed to the older style of ZENER-referenced linear regulators that simply dump (waste) excess power in the form of heat, sometimes very high heat. The [MP] arrangement has enjoyed widespread, almost universal implementation in recent years as "switching regulators" in desktop computer chopper-type power supplies, laptop chargers, and cell phone and tablet wall-wort type chargers.

And lbj, from the website of the manufacturer whose device you have now purchased, the answer to your original thread topic question is still, YES, depending on the charger with the key word still being regulation.

quote:
In theory, you can leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery forever...However, practically speaking, it is a good idea to check on the battery at least once every couple of weeks. Strange things can happen.

In more than 99.9% of cases, nothing will go wrong. That still leaves about 0.1% where something might...A little common sense can go a long way.

Also consider this. No matter how good a product is, anything can break. In fact, everything will break, eventually.

The reality is that the better devices in this market are designed to do exactly what you need to do. I think the only question in your case is if the device you've selected can stay ahead of the higher than normal parasitic current drain that you know is occurring. I think you'll have your answer if you can leave it connected for a couple of days without starting the car.

My point was directed at 41's comment to the effect that the BT Jr has no regulator.

Odd, though, that so many of us have been using this completely unsatisfactory (I guess) product with such good results.

Wink

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I was taught to remove the caps when charging a battery, to allow the gas to escape and avoid a potential explosion as the battery water "boils" from the charging process.

If this is no longer a concern, why not?

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
from Deltrran's Battery Tender Plus FAQ:

3. How long can I leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery?

In theory, you can leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery forever. That’s a really long time. Sales people like to say, “Just plug it in and forget about it!” However, practically speaking, it is a good idea to check on the battery at least once every couple of weeks. Strange things can happen. Sometimes a battery can have a weak cell that won’t show up until the worst possible time. Of course, that time is usually when the battery is connected to a charger, and you are out of town on vacation.

If something goes wrong, then you have to deal with the question of the chicken and the egg. Which came first? Did the battery fail because it was connected to the charger or did the charger fail because it was connected to the battery? Good luck sorting that one out.

With a battery and a charger connected together, it’s a much better idea to be proactive and anticipate problems, however unlikely they may be. In more than 99.9% of cases, nothing will go wrong. That still leaves about 0.1% where something might. Learn to respect electricity. A little common sense can go a long way.

Also consider this. No matter how good a product is, anything can break. In fact, everything will break, eventually. There are only 2 questions to be answered. 1) When will it fail? & more importantly 2) How will it fail? If a product is designed and built well, a manufacturer will set a long warranty period, usually several years, to support that notion. Deltran, and other responsible manufacturers, invest a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money to ensure that their products will fail in a relatively safe manner. For electronic products, at the very least that means no electrical shock or fire hazard.

The Battery Tender® Plus battery charger has a 10 year limited warranty, which is unprecedented among battery charger manufacturers. And it is listed with Underwriter’s Laboratories to comply with both US and Canadian electrical product safety standards for battery chargers used with engine start batteries.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I was taught to remove the caps when charging a battery, to allow the gas to escape and avoid a potential explosion as the battery water "boils" from the charging process.

If this is no longer a concern, why not?

Two reasons.
2. We're talking about a very low amperage trickle charger that cycles off an on in response to battery condition. You're thinking of the cart-type battery charger that is capable of putting 30 amps (IIRC) into a battery.

1. Don't know about MC batteries, but many car batteries are sealed, not requiring the adding of water, so they don't have the kind of cells (or the screw-off caps to access them) that you needed to check all the time.

Frankly, I don't know if "fast" charging a sealed or semi-sealed modern battery would be dangerous or not.

Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
I have onboard chargers in my fishing boat that operate like a battery tender brand charger. They charge normally until the battery is full and then enter a lower voltage float charge. If the boat is not on the water, it is plugged in. Probably the best $200 I've spent on that boat.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post